Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine and cracked block look at oil pressure in this video

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i just saw thos product today, even did not know it exists before. it is like they took internals from x51 oil pan and trimmed it for you.

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...srk-detail.htm
Old 10-28-2019, 08:05 AM
Emrich2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any m97/m96 motor that goes on a track car should have a lot of work done, oiling is a very first one, usual way is to put 996 x51 m96 oil pan, it has to be trimmed to fit any 997 car but it helps to keep oil better around pickup tube, next level is accusump system.

Hello, I was hoping you could elaborate on the comment that the x51 has to be trimmed. I just got a new motor (M96) from a reputable re-builder and added the deep sump kit form LN and we are not getting adequate oil pressure. We are hoping there is not a problem with the rebuild, so reading your thread the work "trimmed" popped out at me.
Thanks,
EMS
Old 10-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JMon
Can someone take a look at this video and tell me if the oil pressure is normal enough during the turns?
http://youtu.be/XISVRsPbVNg
At the end of the video is the picture of the hole in the engine block.

2005 997s 49,000 miles. Stock engine except clutch and IMS bearing. One of the last recorded laps before the “catastrophic engine failure” aka blown engine. Actually a fairly slow lap. The lap where it blew was after 3 back to back 2:32s then a 2:35 with traffic and then it blew during braking at turn 15. It actually sounded like I threw a tire.
Unfortunately the lap where the engine actually blew was not recorded.
Look at the oil gauge. It seems to drop mid-point during a corner. That is possible due to the RPM change, but I don’t know if that is normal or not. I never would look down at the oil gauge during a turn, just on the straights, and it is usually pegged.
Now this was the first time I used the new GoPro HD2 (thus messed up on the battery life) so I can see the gauges here, but not with the old camera. I have no way to compare from other days. Towards the end of the video there is another shot where it shows me going out to the track and the oil pressure seems a bit low. I’ve seen that before when the car was all warmed up. We still don’t know what happened to the engine, but cylinder 1 is basically “missing” as in you look into the sparkplug hole with a scope and it’s not there.
The cylinder is missing or the piston is missing? Sounds like a possible rod bolt failure.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:03 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Emrich2
any m97/m96 motor that goes on a track car should have a lot of work done, oiling is a very first one, usual way is to put 996 x51 m96 oil pan, it has to be trimmed to fit any 997 car but it helps to keep oil better around pickup tube, next level is accusump system.

Hello, I was hoping you could elaborate on the comment that the x51 has to be trimmed. I just got a new motor (M96) from a reputable re-builder and added the deep sump kit form LN and we are not getting adequate oil pressure. We are hoping there is not a problem with the rebuild, so reading your thread the work "trimmed" popped out at me.
Thanks,
EMS
Who is this "reputable rebuilder" and what was done in the rebuild process. The term "rebuilt" is so subjective, it's really hard to universally give opinions on the subject. Was the case halves sent to LN for Nickies? New pistons, connecting rods, timing chains, etc? Reuse the oil pump assembly?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:27 AM
JMon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more pictures from this engine
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-the-pan.html

Quick Reply: Blown Engine and cracked block look at oil pressure in this video