Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True cost of driving a 911 3.8, expected maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:09 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, there is a Rennlister's track-virgin 996 GT3 for sale on the 6GT3 board right now for $53K with 25k on the odometer (originally priced at $55k, dropped to $53k).... That was the car I had in mind when I quoted the price in my previous post.
(THREAD: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-for-sale.html)

I agreed 100% on the sharkwerks 3.9L "upgrade"! Sergio's work & subsequent Rennlist thread got us all excited on the GT3 boards.... That is the plan for my car once it is ready for a rebuild!

-B
Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Actually, there is a Rennlister's track-virgin 996 GT3 for sale on the 6GT3 board right now for $53K with 25k on the odometer (originally priced at $55k, dropped to $53k).... That was the car I had in mind when I quoted the price in my previous post.

I agreed 100% on the sharkwerks 3.9L "upgrade"! Sergio's work & subsequent Rennlist thread got us all excited on the GT3 boards.... That is the plan for my car once it is ready for a rebuild!

-B
if car is indeed clean and accident free $53K is a good price. still it is kinda lower than market avarage, so, it looks a bit strange. who knows.

in 2009 when i got my C2 such cars were much more expensive and now i am too attached to car i built, it is just not worth time and money to take it apart to retunr to stock for sale.
motor in 996 gt3 is great, i ran with a lot of instructors who drive such cars, it is FUN. i can probably get a bit close to stock 996 gt3 torque level with flat6 built m96 motor but it is nowhere close to 3.9 sharky.
for one who wants a car for track it is a steal at $53K, if car is indeed clean.

PS. from daily drier perspective any GT3 car may be a problem as front lip sits very low and if you have to go over any elevation/speed bumps/driveways that go up - you may have issues.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
if car is indeed clean and accident free $53K is a good price. still it is kinda lower than market avarage, so, it looks a bit strange. who knows.

in 2009 when i got my C2 such cars were much more expensive and now i am too attached to car i built, it is just not worth time and money to take it apart to retunr to stock for sale.
motor in 996 gt3 is great, i ran with a lot of instructors who drive such cars, it is FUN. i can probably get a bit close to stock 996 gt3 torque level with flat6 built m96 motor but it is nowhere close to 3.9 sharky.
for one who wants a car for track it is a steal at $53K, if car is indeed clean.

PS. from daily drier perspective any GT3 car may be a problem as front lip sits very low and if you have to go over any elevation/speed bumps/driveways that go up - you may have issues.
You bring up a really good point Paul that is relevant to the OP - if "tracking" is the goal, and keeping maintenance costs down - is a 997.1 more reliable than a 996.2 or a 966.2 GT3? I see that you have done extensive mods, so your car must be perfectly dialed in!!! But clearly that came at a cost above buying the car stock...

I can speak for the 996 GT3.

Maintenance Costs: I did have a water pump go under warrant after I purchased the car back in 2006. Other than that, the car has been trouble free and is striclty a track car. I do most of my own maintenance - mainly fluid changes.

"Track-Ready" Costs: I would allocate $2,000 to make it really good on the track: a) Pagid or PFC racing pads all around, b) higher boiling-point brake fluid than stock, c) upgraded rear toe-links to keep the alignment in check.

"Track-Safety" Costs: $5,000 in expenses for a) half or full cage, b) harnesses, and c) weld of the coolant lines (may require engine drop - a few DIYs on Rennlist).

"Unexpected Expense" Costs, A Limited Slip Differential (LSD) rebuild is roughtly $1500 and an engine rebuild is $25k. The LSDs wear out quickly on the track, and I see other GT3ers rebuild every couple of years. Regarding engines, MOST 6GT3ers that I know that track extensively have NOT required an engine rebuild yet. The engines are solid.

What about the 996.2 and the 997.1? What do those costs look like?

Thanks,
-B
Old 07-13-2012, 06:04 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
low 60s, ther are no such cars in low 50s imho, nowhere.

i would agree, it is a hell of the car. track it until motor lasts, then for $30k or so put in sharkwerks 3.9L motor and keep running it forever. if you don`t like electronics in 996 car - replace it with any modern kenwood or pioneer unit and get all modern features like BT, GPS, etc.
there are certainly 996 GT3s in the 50s
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll research this GT3. The model designations confuse me so I'm not totally familiar w/ the package.

Also, my current car w/ Stance coil-overs, stiffer springs, and Whiteline sway bars already rides like a board, It does get a bit old on the street though.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Suns_PSD: you might find this helpful Maintenance Booklet

I think some of the major services could run up to 2k from the dealer, but I am not sure what my indy will charge. (haven't done it yet)
Old 07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Originally Posted by blake

-B
Thanks for the link. That one seems like a good deal for the right driver.

But the GT3 is just too much car for me. Too raw, too loud, too old (in my particular price range). Also I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics of the 996's and greatly prefer the 997s.

Anyways, I am trying to arrange a meeting w/ the an owner of an '07 2S manual so we'll see how that goes.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

First off, you can't even begin to compare a *Hyundai* to Porsche... just not even in the same ballpark, even with a lowly 996 base car!

Now, the BIGGEST cost would be tires as others mentioned, then the rest is actually not too bad. In 2.5yrs of ownership, with 5-6 track days, I've only had to replace pads once, tires once, and 4 oil changes (I do 2/yr). That's all.

The costs are $$$ only when you get into major work on transmission or engine... which means you MUST BE gentle with shifting on track, and you should not skip maintenance, or use crappy/cheaper oil in your car.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
First off, you can't even begin to compare a *Hyundai* to Porsche... just not even in the same ballpark, even with a lowly 996 base car!

Now, the BIGGEST cost would be tires as others mentioned, then the rest is actually not too bad. In 2.5yrs of ownership, with 5-6 track days, I've only had to replace pads once, tires once, and 4 oil changes (I do 2/yr). That's all.

The costs are $$$ only when you get into major work on transmission or engine... which means you MUST BE gentle with shifting on track, and you should not skip maintenance, or use crappy/cheaper oil in your car.
No, really? LOL

Yes, I get that a *Hyundai* is not a Porsche, hence why I intend to purchase one.

And clearly since my *Hyundai* has $5K in wheels currently mounted up and Synthetic oil in the crankcase along with countless other high quality mods I wouldn't then go buy a Porsche and all of the sudden use cheap products on it. I run my cars hard but treat them right in the garage. They all get the best that is available.

But expense wise, there is nothing scary about maintaining a Porsche except that there seems to be a few of them blowing expensive motors. That very reasonable upkeep expense is important to me. I enjoy spending money on my cars. What I don't enjoy is pissing away money on repair bills, exceptionally high fuel costs, or very high insurance costs.

Tires are a non-issue for me as I'm use to dropping $1800 for a set of new PSS every 7-8 months, even on the lowly Hyundai. I figure they cost whatever they cost.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you are serious about doing several track events a year then the 997 is really too expensive a car for that application--it will prevent you from truly enjoying the training opportunities that a track can provide. I have some very wealthy friends who really enjoy their track days--and they do it in much cheaper cars.

For the 997 do not skimp on tires. Putting crappy tires on the car to save money will prevent you from experiencing the optimum performance these cars can provide. There are few other expenses that you will have to endure other than brake bleeds and pads and occasional rotors. But, what if you do wind up hitting a wall, or another driver bumps you? I cannot personally afford to drive my 997S on a track. I used to track my 911 Turbo many years ago and tracks love to eat up brakes, clutches, and tires. These things are not that cheap over the long haul. Go buy a Mazda Miata for track days and keep your 997 on the road.

Quick Reply: True cost of driving a 911 3.8, expected maintenance?