Sponsored by:

Helmet recommendations for first DE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 02:47 AM
jurnes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
just until you get hit with a rubber marbel right under your eye for a first time.
if you run in open face helmet - at least wear good big 'italian mobster' style sunglasses, even if it is cloudy, to protect your eyes and people behind you if you lose control after a hit into face from marbel or an insect at 80+mph.
Eye protection is required when wearing an open face helmet. Most full face helmet users drive with their visor in the up position, which is when the airbag issue can come in to play...
Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by jurnes
Eye protection is required when wearing an open face helmet. Most full face helmet users drive with their visor in the up position, which is when the airbag issue can come in to play...
I experienced the airbag issue with a full face helmet and cracked open visor. Thanks to a Safety Solutions head and neck restraint along with their 7 point harness the airbag was just a very expensive blooming flower. The airbag never touched me.

On the helmet side I was over at US Race Gear and they had a carbon fiber full face G Force helmet for $350. I tried one on and it was a nice fit for me.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:28 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations, all. I checked with the NNJR track chair who tells me there are plenty of loaner helmets available, so I'll be borrowing a helmet for the day. I'll also get a balaclava because I'm easily grossed out.

I'm also going to take a drive over to Stable Energies, more out of curiosity, to see what brand fits me best.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

I drove up to Stable Energies today to try on some helmets and buy a balaclava. The guy who helped me, Joe, was a really good sport, fielding my newbie questions and letting me try on a few hats. Looks like Bell has the right fit for my big round melon. I'll be heading back there when it's really time to buy.

On a side note, I stopped at Rutt's Hut for one of their famous fried "ripper" hot dogs with mustard relish. Haven't been there since the last time my father took me, about 30 years ago. Hasn't changed a bit. Highly recommended for the RL New Jerseyans.

Quick Reply: Helmet recommendations for first DE?