Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Software Upgrade to 991 Specs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 PM
teoh2005
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a great video to use as reference for the stock 997.2 PDK software.

Notice how the shifts are slower and the delay bw the driver pulling the paddle and shifts happening. Its even more evident on the downshifts.

-Khanh
Old 04-07-2014, 04:02 PM
teoh2005
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
On what basis is it obvious? Subjectively quicker maybe, but objectively only a measurement will show. The Symposer plays tricks on people's perceptions. But… if you think otherwise enjoy the placebo.
I am just amazed you cannot distinguish the 2.

-Khanh
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you wearing Batman pajamas in that video?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 PM
teoh2005
Instructor

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Are you wearing Batman pajamas in that video?
Yup. Wife bought em and didn't care what I was wearing when I grabbed the gopro to make a quick vid. Son was wearing spiderman that day.

Khanh
Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

In the thread on the Porsche upgrade somebody mentions a 2 hour labor charge. This update is complete in 5 minutes. Hmmmmm
Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 AM
mxp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

can it be flashed back to stock prior to going in for any warranty work?
also does it play well with the engine flash (softronic, evoms, etc)?

Thanks,
Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM
teoh2005
Instructor

Originally Posted by mxp
can it be flashed back to stock prior to going in for any warranty work?
also does it play well with the engine flash (softronic, evoms, etc)?

Thanks,
Peter says it can be flashed back to stock. Dont know if you can constantly switch bw the flash and stock program.

I have a softronic tune on my car and with the PDK software the car is quick. The best way to describe the power/gear changes now are immediate and exciting.

Khanh
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
jdogg2000
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what is going on with German Motoring vs. 1016, but this is from Peter at German Motoring:

Thank you for your inquiry. We just had one here last week to do a full upgrade for the track with great results.

We have a send out option both ECU and PDK for your car from an outside developer should you be interested.

We can combine both files on to one device for ease of installation, and there is a simple install and uninstall procedure for if you ever want to return to stock for visits to the dealer.

The combined programming of the ECU and PDK offers a perfectly harmonized balance between the engine and gearbox control units, which especially on the late model cars substantial interface with one another.

On the PDK side not only is shift speed addressed, many other factors are also modified for a better experience including:
1) Removed torque limits in the gearbox for enhanced power delivery
2) Modified shift patterns for a more aggressive feel
3) Modified throttle response
4) Allowing the throttle body to stay 100% open all the way to redline (this is something that you cannot solve on the ECU side itself)

On the ECU side, we are able to optimize mapping for performance characteristics that match the gearbox file. As I mentioned above the limiters removed in the gearbox allow us to request more in the ECU mapping than would be generally available without that tune present. The results yield improved initial torque response (comes on 200-250 RPM faster), increased overall torque (peak numbers of 15whp and 20wtq are achievable), and increased power all the way to redline can be seen.

The file pricing structure is as follows:
1) ECU file $1695
2) TCU file $1595
3) Combined pricing: $2399

I look forward to any questions and concerns and if you are thinking of any other upgrades for the vehicle please let me know and we will be happy to assist with that as well.

As I mentioned we are in the process of building a track GTS for a customer so I am freshly familiar with what exactly is available for that car to maximize gains.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:06 PM
teoh2005
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdogg2000
Not sure what is going on with German Motoring vs. 1016, but this is from Peter at German Motoring:

Thank you for your inquiry. We just had one here last week to do a full upgrade for the track with great results.

We have a send out option both ECU and PDK for your car from an outside developer should you be interested.

We can combine both files on to one device for ease of installation, and there is a simple install and uninstall procedure for if you ever want to return to stock for visits to the dealer.

The combined programming of the ECU and PDK offers a perfectly harmonized balance between the engine and gearbox control units, which especially on the late model cars substantial interface with one another.

On the PDK side not only is shift speed addressed, many other factors are also modified for a better experience including:
2) Modified shift patterns for a more aggressive feel
3) Modified throttle response
4) Allowing the throttle body to stay 100% open all the way to redline (this is something that you cannot solve on the ECU side itself)

On the ECU side, we are able to optimize mapping for performance characteristics that match the gearbox file. As I mentioned above the limiters removed in the gearbox allow us to request more in the ECU mapping than would be generally available without that tune present. The results yield improved initial torque response (comes on 200-250 RPM faster), increased overall torque (peak numbers of 15whp and 20wtq are achievable), and increased power all the way to redline can be seen.

The file pricing structure is as follows:
1) ECU file $1695
2) TCU file $1595
3) Combined pricing: $2399

I look forward to any questions and concerns and if you are thinking of any other upgrades for the vehicle please let me know and we will be happy to assist with that as well.

As I mentioned we are in the process of building a track GTS for a customer so I am freshly familiar with what exactly is available for that car to maximize gains.

Look forward to hearing from you.
I orig found Peter through German Motoring. I informed him I was so pleased with his product that I posted a review. He clarified that his company 1016 Industries is actually the supplier for German Motoring.

Planning to do a TCU tune on my 09 CTT.

Khanh
Old 04-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds great but seems way too expensive for my blood. Kahn did you just have the TCU done or the ECU as well?
Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM
teoh2005
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vape NYC
Sounds great but seems way too expensive for my blood. Kahn did you just have the TCU done or the ECU as well?
I already had the softronic ECU tune so I only bought the TCU from Peter.

Its well worth the cost IMO. Its the single best upgrade I have done to the car amongst: PSE, Sharkwerks bypass, IPD Plenum, Softronic Tune, PDK Steering Wheel.

Khanh
Old 04-08-2014, 05:03 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

In my opinion, these prices for the pdk upgrade are totally ridiculous. I wonder if these vendors did not just get the oem upgrades and started selling the it. You cannot actually just upgrade the software of the pdk! It has to be upgraded at the same time as the ecu! And to charge $2k for a 10 to 20minute job is really absurd to me. Specially knowing that an oem upgrade is there. Well it just my opinion. That is a lot of dough brothers.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:12 PM
teoh2005
Instructor

Originally Posted by slicky rick
In my opinion, these prices for the pdk upgrade are totally ridiculous. I wonder if these vendors did not just get the oem upgrades and started selling the it. You cannot actually just upgrade the software of the pdk! It has to be upgraded at the same time as the ecu! And to charge $2k for a 10 to 20minute job is really absurd to me. Specially knowing that an oem upgrade is there. Well it just my opinion. That is a lot of dough brothers.
I watched some 997.2 GTS vids last night and the shifts do seem much quicker than my 09 C2S. Not sure if those cars had the newest oem software but it was a huge improvement over what I was running.

I'm not sure exactly what 1016 is selling but its def an improvement. Would I have rather gotten a free dealer upgrade? Of course!! But I didnt know one existed or what would be the route to getting one. IMO most dealers suck, treat their customers poorly and never really go the extra mile. So the only option I found was 1016 and for me it was worth the cost. Every product is worth what people are willing to pay, there is no absolute price.

Rick can you post a vid of your car with the latest oem software? I'm curious as to how it compares to mine.

Not sure what you mean ECU/TCU need to be done at the same time. I installed only the TCU according to 1016 and it was an immediate and huge improvement.

Khanh
Old 04-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer Walter's in Riverside Calif did an update on my PDK when I was noticing some issue's. They did this after replacing I believe the Control Unit on the transmission. After the update I did notice a big difference.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jdogg2000
4) Allowing the throttle body to stay 100% open all the way to redline
There's probably a good reason why Porsche has torque limits so reliability may be compromised. Nonetheless, if your happy, rock on

Quick Reply: PDK Software Upgrade to 991 Specs??