Sponsored by:

Going to look at a car in an hour-help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

So interesting story that fits perfectly to this. I test drove the car an hour ago. . Ran great, looked great. Dealer says let me take a look at your car so I hand him the keys to my Cayenne S. Scans the VIN to check carfax. Quick background interject- I bought my Cayennes S 18 months ago from a P Dealer under CPO. I have paperwork that states no history of accidents. Guess what. Guy shows me where my CPO car from a P dealer had in fact been in an accident the April before I bought it. I called my P Dealer and waiting on a call back so I can understand how I bought a chery certfied car from a P Dealer with no accidents that now shows a fender bender in the rear. It devalues the car 15-20%

So go get a PPI done by someone else. Sadly it seems you can't trust the dealer
Old 07-06-2012, 06:00 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 on PPI with a CPO'd car. My PPI from an Indy last year found a leaking RMS and broken tailpipe on my CPO'd car... all replaced/serviced as a condition of the sale. BTW, the broken tail pipe would not have been covered by my CPO after the sale as that's a wear/tear item. Don't trust the dealer... their job is to sell you the car at the maximum price with the minimum in repair/service investment on their part.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
So interesting story that fits perfectly to this. I test drove the car an hour ago. . Ran great, looked great. Dealer says let me take a look at your car so I hand him the keys to my Cayenne S. Scans the VIN to check carfax. Quick background interject- I bought my Cayennes S 18 months ago from a P Dealer under CPO. I have paperwork that states no history of accidents. Guess what. Guy shows me where my CPO car from a P dealer had in fact been in an accident the April before I bought it. I called my P Dealer and waiting on a call back so I can understand how I bought a chery certfied car from a P Dealer with no accidents that now shows a fender bender in the rear. It devalues the car 15-20%

So go get a PPI done by someone else. Sadly it seems you can't trust the dealer
Interesting but nothing sinister may have occurred.

Accident repair reports may not show up in the databases as quickly as one might think.

(Years ago I had reason to have a private investigator who had access to these databases access one on my behalf regarding an automobile. The report came back with old/stale info. This was several months after I had sold the car to a dealer who in turn sold it to another person. I was still listed as the owner of the car even though I had filled out/signed and sent in all paperwork required by the state to take my name off the title and registration.)

If your vehicle was traded in and then turned around and sold before the database was updated...

Also, a "fender bender" in the rear may have required nothing more than a new rear bumper cover and chances are very high a factory bumper was used -- because salvage bumper covers suck to the point even a dead person could spot one on a car -- and prepped/painted by a qualified shop the work is so good the tech who inspected the car might not have spotted the new cover. That's a sign of a good repair.

BTW, my 03 Turbo sustained over $25K in damage -- mule deer collision -- and after the work the only way one could tell the car had had any work was the left front wheel had a newer part number (the wheel had to be replaced when the wheel re-finisher ruined the wheel in trying to deal with some minor scuff marks from the deer hit and the replacement wheel identical to the original wheel had a different part number... well identical in that just the part number changed) and the replaced/painted body panels -- mainly the front trunk (front bumper cover, passenger fender, front trunk lid were all replaced with factory parts) -- had a much *better* paint finish. One long time body shop employee at a Porsche dealer told me that it was the *lack* of orange peel that clued him in the car had at least received some paint work.

Also, even after the work was done my Turbo retained its CPO warranty coverage which expired from time 2 years after I bought the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ppi every time. Cpo is a sales tool.

Was looking at a pristine turbo a few yrs ago. Owner was really cool and a PCa member for decades etc. turns out the entire car including roof was repainted. Passed on it. Sucked for the owner big time as he did not have it inspected when he bought it at a Porsche dealership.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:26 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

When I sell a nice car I do not let anyone drive the car unless we have negotiated a price and they have demonstrated their ability to actually buy. Once that happens, I will let them drive the car w/me in it. I am not willing to let people just test drive cars- I tell them to go to the dealership to drive one.

A long time ago, 30 years..... I had a Porsche coupe for sale. Guy was all excited and wanted to drive it. I agreed and went with him. He went to make a turn and crashed into the curb. Car was damaged to the tune of about $2,000. He tried to walk away saying, "yeah, I don't want it now".
I literally had to physically restrain him and wait for the cops to take a report. I then sued him for the loss in small claims court as I did not feel my insurance should have to pay for his wreck and I didn't want the collision on my record. I won and got the full amount of damage plus a rental car for the week the car was in the shop.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Cairo... good lesson learned and thanks for sharing. I've been using Carmax to sell my old cars. They typically offer higher $$ then dealer trade in and I don't have to deal with the potential test drive/finance issues.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by cairo94507
When I sell a nice car I do not let anyone drive the car unless we have negotiated a price and they have demonstrated their ability to actually buy.
Your prerogative of course, but if I were the potential buyer and a seller set forth those conditions, I would politely suggest he sod off.

I will let them drive the car w/me in it.
In the USA, people have been beaten, robbed and even killed by criminals posing as car buyers. Personally I much rather be forced to use my auto insurance than my medical insurance.

I literally had to physically restrain him and wait for the cops to take a report.
Aha, you're one of those big strong action-hero types. Explains your lack of fear getting in the passenger seat with a complete stranger.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

PPI will include a DME scan for overrevs. Ranges 1-3 are pretty much OK, but anything beyond that is significant.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 AM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 st post.

Don't drop this **** in our laps.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Nikon,