Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is being a nightmare! Ahhh!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$280 for the control unit. 2 screws and a cable connection. easy access. your choice...
Old 07-09-2012, 04:13 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm always amazed at how much the stealership charges for simple repairs. The ABS in my son's Tacoma went out recently... dealer wanted $3K. He found a used ABS module on ebay for $115 from a salvage yard... 30mins after UPS showed up with the part and he was back in business.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 PM
cs pilot
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

joel, where can you pick one of these up? Dealer is charging 630 for the part
Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Porsche updated this part which was problematic so make sure you purchase the latest version. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

This was in another thread- search "997 front control module":

I found it for something like $300 from a P dealer by googling the part #. I believe there is a newer model so make sure you get the current part.

-------from the post:

But from my first discussion with the dealer, this front control unit is not on warranty (I have a CPO until 2013).

UPDATE :
The dealer changed the FCU and it was indeed covered by my CPO including all charges. So i'm very happy about this and I can confirm that it is the same part number as was indicated at the beginning of this thread - Front Control Unit Module : 99761010511 and the original part number was 99761010505.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM
cs pilot
Intermediate

latest on the issue-
dealership emailed me:

"I just wanted to touch base with you on the 911. It will be into tomorrow, there is still a pretty good draw on the system even after the module was replaces. The tech wants to know if by chance the car was jumped backwards? If so there could have been a power surge and shorted something else that we need to trace. There is also a chance that there was a power surge when you went over the tracks that knocked something loose and shorted out the module and possibly something else. I will have a better idea in the morning of whats going on."

so unfortunate that this all happens a couple months after my warranty expires.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I'm always amazed at how much the stealership charges for simple repairs. The ABS in my son's Tacoma went out recently... dealer wanted $3K. He found a used ABS module on ebay for $115 from a salvage yard... 30mins after UPS showed up with the part and he was back in business.
Well, to be fair, with your fix only YOU are liable for the repair, and there is no warranty on the part, which is used. Though $3k does seem a bit high.. how many hours would it take to replace a module? Does one need to bleed the brakes for that replacement?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Minok
Well, to be fair, with your fix only YOU are liable for the repair, and there is no warranty on the part, which is used. Though $3k does seem a bit high.. how many hours would it take to replace a module? Does one need to bleed the brakes for that replacement?
I know that dealer service shops have to anticipate the worst case scenario so they charge the maximum rate. IMHO it would be fair if they discount the rate after seeing how easy the job was... in this particular case we only had to remove the electronic module in front of the hydraulic/brake unit. 4 screws and no bleeding required as the hydraulic unit was sealed on the mechanical side. 30mins max. I bet the dealer would have still charged us $3K if we were none the wiser by not trying to repair it ourselves. At least, I've never seen a dealer charge me less then what they've quoted upfront... only more in some cases.

The big win was teaching my son how to be self reliant when it comes to car service/repair. The bonus was showing my wife how much we saved... helped to justify the full exhaust system I just bought from TRG.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man....that must have been a relief.

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 PM
gibsonre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had same FCU go out in my 05 C2 when I bought it last year. 8k miles, $600 to resolve at dealership with upgraded unit. Still good at 11k (as would be expected).
Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by cs pilot
latest on the issue-
dealership emailed me:

"I just wanted to touch base with you on the 911. It will be into tomorrow, there is still a pretty good draw on the system even after the module was replaces. The tech wants to know if by chance the car was jumped backwards? If so there could have been a power surge and shorted something else that we need to trace. There is also a chance that there was a power surge when you went over the tracks that knocked something loose and shorted out the module and possibly something else. I will have a better idea in the morning of whats going on."

so unfortunate that this all happens a couple months after my warranty expires.
I regret that this sounds like what I experienced ( see post 3). Mine turned out to be an undefined "data" module. This, I know, covers probably all the modules! If your dealer is like mine....try not to flinch.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Man....that must have been a relief.
Yep, $3K in relief... especially as I was out of town and my wife wanted to just pay the dealership no questions asked as this was her baby's truck and my money. Funny how that works even after 25 yrs together... need to plant a few more $$$ trees for her. The dealerships know exactly who to pressure when your away on business.

Instead I worked with my son over a few calls, some basic troubleshooting, and everything pointed to the ABS control unit as the culprit. I was really getting enthused about the whole project when he started testing the voltage of each pin out on the ABS wiring harness before plugging in the new module. Really neat to see him troubleshoot down to the subsystem level then source a cost effective part and replace it. When it all came together and worked I knew a light switch had just gone off... he started discussing with my wife and I the possibility of majoring in Engineering. The savings were immediate and tangible but that moment of inspiration for my son is just priceless.

OP, hope it all works out for you. Really makes life that much tough when your baby is in a world of hurt and the p-dealer is still scratching their heads for an answer. It might be time to start building a rapport with a mechanic you trust. Even though I do most off my own service and maintenance... I still take my Service Rep at the p-dealer out to lunch every so often. I normally don't trust the SR's as far as I can throw them but I found one at my local dealer who was a former p-car mechanic and he's working out to be a great asset... very insightful, supportive of my DIY psychos, and honest... basically making my p-car ownership that much more rewarding.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 PM
cs pilot
Intermediate

Its even worse now.... Latest email from the dealership

just wanted to let you know that whatever caused the power surge did take out the instrument cluster too. We are unable to get that to communicate with the modules in the car. I have submitted to Porsche for coverage since it is uncommon to see the cluster short out like this has. I have seen it happen before but is due to a backwards jump start but your does not have the electrical arc burns on the cables or posts. I would anticipate hearing back from Porsche tomorrow, since it usually is 24hrs after being submitted before they respond. To replace that cluster is an additional $2775.00+Tax and is a week out from getting.

After hearing back from Porsche, they are willing to cover 50% of the cost for the cluster and the control unit failure. My cost is going to be $1700+tax

I think my car knew I was considering selling it and got mad at me and decided to act up haha...
Old 07-11-2012, 05:19 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Wow... at least Porsche is covering 50%. Let us know the outcome and best of luck.

Quick Reply: Car is being a nightmare! Ahhh!