Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wonder who the original owner was?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts
Default Ever wonder who the original owner was?

Sometimes I look at my car and admine the options yet wonder who was the original owner? Note: this is a trick question for those of you that bought your car new. With mine, who would have purchased Arctic Silver over Sea Blue full leather? I love it but it also has PCCBs, a MT (symptoms of a boy-racer) yet no Sport Chorno, no adaptive sports seats. Hmm... And then the rear center consul painted silver and the small trim surrounding the instrument guages. Nice touches! Was this a car first designed and owned by a famous artist? Or some punk kid with an inheritance?

Question - is there anyway of finding who the original owner was? Anybody ever tracked down the VIN etc..?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

You can track down where the car was originally sold easy enough. If you have navigation the original owners address may still be in it. It was for me. But as curious as I am as well with such classy options as: two-tone black and grey full leather, atlas grey ext, pse but no tacky dash wart, Carrera sport wheels, I'm not about to going stalking
Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The OO of my car used it as a DD and put down lots of highway miles... 45K over 2 yrs with a very clean DME. He bought, serviced, and traded the car into the same dealership where I purchased the car so I was fortunate to get all the service records. I was told that the OO was a lawyer but no other details... I did find a mid-length dark but greying hair under the driver seat when I thoroughly detailed the car last year. If that was the OO then I assume he was in his mid-40's or higher...

I found the OO's choices in options or lack there off inline with my own thinking... He leaned more towards performance (Carrera S w/ PASM and sports Chrono), Porsche nostalgia (Carrera Classics wheels with Guards Red on Black and MT), functionality (no driving distractions such as GPS, BT and radio controls on the steering wheel), some luxury appointments (full leather), and creature comfort where it counted for those long drives (adaptive sport seats). Only option I wished he had included was PSE. But for the same price I've just remedied that with a full FVD exhaust system including headers, 200 cats, tips, etc. Comforting to know though that there is a kindred driving spirit out there who views these cars in much the same manner as I do... a joy to drive.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Zeus the options on your car make a great deal of sense. Sport Chrono doesn't really offer any major improvements on an MT car with no PASM. The options you have are lightweight, enthusiast/performance oriented and visually appealing.

As far as the question, I wonder how many Porsche's are actually ordered by customers vs being specced by the dealer.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know who the previous owner of mine is, because his name and address are written in the service log-book. The previous owner is local and he traded the car back to the dealership from which he purchased it new, and from which I subsequently purchased it second-hand.

I must say that I admire the previous owner for his exquisite taste in colour combination and astute choice of options. I am grateful to him as well for the meticulous care he took in preserving its showroom condition, and for driving it 5000 miles/year...just enough that it does not suffer from "garage queen syndrome", whilst assuring that wear-and-tear was virtually nil. And I am chuffed beyond words that he so magnanimously absorbed $45,000 in depreciation so that I could enjoy his as-new Porsche for half-price
Old 07-03-2012, 03:35 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 554 Posts

I know the original and previous owner of my 997 because I bought it from him and he is a Rennlister. I know the previous owner of my 993 for the same reason (different guy though) but he was at least the 3rd owner and I do not know who the original guy was.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:40 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My PO owned my car for 23 years. It was great to track him down and talk. He's suppose to visit in Maine this summer.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Mine is a mystery. 2009 997.2 C2 Car bought new at Beverly Hills Porsche. Sold / traded 2 years later (was not a lease) at Circle Porsche where I bought it. Car was maintained at BH per all the service records. Only 2 warranty claims in first 2 years (fuel pump and a trim piece). But given it's a very clean base car with very few options (what I wanted), 15k, and a 6spd, it was probably a daily drive for someone that lived/worked in that area. I could go on with the stereotypes given this is LA... BH housewife, some LA starlet, rich kid, or just some guy in his mid 30's who wanted a sports car... who knows!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Mabye John Voight owned mine! Remember the Seinfeld episode with George's car... I think I am going to track down the original dealer in Souther Cal and start there.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OO had the car for 4 years and drove it about 5k/year. According to salesman, it was his fourth 911 Carrera and he trades in his 911 every 3-4 years, always pampered the car and never drove it hard. It correlated with the DME scan. This time he bought a 991 for the comfortable suspension.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was apparently a Porsche factory engineer from Deutschland. He took great care of it. It had all the options I would've ordered, minus nav and sport chrono. I just wanted a simple, manual car in a great color...
Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Mine was apparently a Porsche factory engineer from Deutschland. He took great care of it. It had all the options I would've ordered, minus nav and sport chrono. I just wanted a simple, manual car in a great color...
Nice. Great story.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:26 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I alway wondered who bought my Seal Grey 06 S, from either, Princeton Porsche or Don Rosen. Has PSE with an ash Tray switch.
be happy to give additional info.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I think opposite...I always wonder who owns my past 997's. I wonder if they track them like I did...ya know keep them excersiced?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Me, too. I wonder where my old 914 is, and my old 77 911S, and my turboed 911SC...

Quick Reply: Ever wonder who the original owner was?