Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating the PSE tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CCPcoatings.com
I agree, that color looks great with black. As far as tips and exhaust go, black is certainly one of the most popular requests, but you have several options on a part like this. If you prefer a more traditional chrome, stainless or brushed stainless finish we have a High Temp "Kryptonite" clear Ceramic that can be used in these applications. It makes cleaning off carbon, dirt, misc debri much easier. In many cases, it will reduce anything from sticking to it in the first place.

This Clear Ceramic Coating is offered in both a gloss and semi gloss finish. This also allows you to achieve a gloss black Ceramic Coated tip as well since you can't get a Ceramic black in a true gloss. Closest we have is a nice semi gloss.

CCPcoatings

Anything that would come close to the color of these wheels? Color is Satin Bronze.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
They're very cool looking!!! What color is that?

Tom
Thanks, Tom, my bypass was ceramic powder coated in Black Velvet by the great guys, and site sponsors at FD Motorsports. Great service and pricing.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:54 PM
CCPcoatings.com
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ceramic Coating Exhaust Tips

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Anything that would come close to the color of these wheels? Color is Satin Bronze.

Thanks,

Tom
You have a couple options in Ceramic. Any idea how hot they get? If they don't exceed say 200F-ish you could Powder Coat them in any color you'd like.
A couple Ceramic Coating options are below.

CCPcoatings
Old 07-08-2012, 02:09 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CCPcoatings.com
You have a couple options in Ceramic. Any idea how hot they get? If they don't exceed say 200F-ish you could Powder Coat them in any color you'd like.
A couple Ceramic Coating options are below.

CCPcoatings
Thanks....don't know but....I'll find out.

Tom
Old 11-10-2012, 02:24 PM
ATC
1st Gear

Hi,
just hoping to get some information here on ceramic coatings for exhaust manifold, turbo housing, etc.
My question is :
1) Is ceramic coating needs a base coat like any metal coat materials via plasma spray in order to have high thermal barrier capabilities?
2) Which is much durable and higher resistant to high temp, wear & corrosion resistant? Plasma spray or Ceramic spray paint type (exmp-Cerakote)?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:57 PM
Gloss Technique
2nd Gear

Nice, I'd recommend a graphene coating instead of ceramic since it has more heat resistance. We carry both at our Ceramic Coating Shop in Fresno / Clovis https://glosstechnique.com/ceramic-coating-fresno-ca/
Also, if it is layer-able that would help even more.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:58 PM
Gloss Technique
2nd Gear

I can help on 1) ceramic coating requires a clear coat to properly bond and harden.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:35 PM
CCPcoatings.com
3rd Gear

Default Hi Temp Ceramic Coating Exhaust Tips / Headers

Originally Posted by ATC
Hi,
just hoping to get some information here on ceramic coatings for exhaust manifold, turbo housing, etc.
My question is :
1) Is ceramic coating needs a base coat like any metal coat materials via plasma spray in order to have high thermal barrier capabilities?
2) Which is much durable and higher resistant to high temp, wear & corrosion resistant? Plasma spray or Ceramic spray paint type (exmp-Cerakote)?

Thanks.
Hello:

1) Ceramic Thermal Barrier Coatings used for turbos; headers, manifolds, exhaust tips, etc, etc. are typically rated at 1800F to 2200F. Not sure why it would matter, but they do NOT require a primer nor a top coat. Nor is a base coat required in thermal spray applications.

2) As to the pro's and cons of Ceramic Thermal Barriers sprays vs plasma sprays, it really comes down to usage and aesthetics. They're similarly rated in the 1800F - 2200F range. Plasma is very durable for abrasion and nearly impossible to remove once applied as it was primarily developed for tooling / wear operations. Plasma spray is whitish-grey and not particularly attractive and has a VERY rough surface similar to 36 grit sandpaper. Companies like zircotec have come up with some top coats to add color, but this doesn't change the texture. A big problem with plasma spray is that you're unable to SPRAY INSIDE any components. Its pretty much line of sight. Corrosion is more common with plasma due to the porosity, but it would also depend on the substrate being coated and the coating mixture.

As for Ceramic Thermal Barrier Coatings, they are available in about a dozen colors. Obviously black being the most popular here for exhaust tips. They are very smooth to touch as well. You can spray pretty much any part or surface too. They don't have quite the abrasion resistance as plasma spray, nor do you need it in most exhaust applications, BUT once the coatings work harden, they become very durable.

I think that about covers it in a nut shell.........​​​​​​​

Last edited by CCPcoatings.com; 02-17-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating the PSE tips