Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here with a C2S or C4S question their choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 03:47 PM
kimster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here with a C2S or C4S question their choice?

Im in the process of doing all the research that can before buying my next car (which will be a daily driver). At the begining I had my mind set on a 07-08 TT because I like the 997 and love the power of the TT. But as life goes things happend in personal life that have made me adjust my target car to a 07-08 C2S or C4S coupe tiptronic hopefully.

My concern is the performance and mainly the feel of the car since it "only" has 355hp. This car is around the same price range as a BMW M3 DSG... And on paper the M3 looks like it should a better performing and I guess more fun car to drive around.... but I just don't get the same feeling from looking at a M3 compared to the 997.

What I want mainly is a car that I can enjoy the feel of driving around (without having to go 100+mph to actually enjoy it). Im not too crazy concerned with exact performance figures but at the same time I don't want a car that is going to feel like Im driving a Lexus IS-350 or BMW 335 either since both of them are boring to drive. I guess cars now a days are coming with much higher HP that 355HP doesn't seem like its enough..

So my question... Did anyone go through a similar thought process??? or any opinions on the matter would be appreciated.

BTW... I did test drive a regular 997 and 997 TT. I have yet to find a C2S or C4S to drive. But short test drives are enough to tell.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:11 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C2S and C4S, Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. I've had both and enjoyed every mile.

Wider rear end on the 4S is subjective.

Most entertaining 911 under 100mph and maybe over, is the 993. That car will put a grin on your face at 30mph !
Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I've driven both the 997.1 C2S (currently owned) and the 997.2 C4S and find the C4S more planted than the C2S. This experience is possibly due to the second gen 997 suspension upgrades. But I'll say the C2S is almost more fun at slower speeds tossing it around. The streering is lighter, the car is more agile. I too want a car that is fun at low speeds and am looking at cabs these days to have more noise with the top down. Love them. I drove a 993 cab last year and for a car that is fun at reasonable speeds, make sure you drive one. This being said, the 993 is arguably less suited as a daily driver. Have fun on your hunt!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM
kimster
Intermediate

Pewter82....
thanks for the info man... comments like that is exactly what I wanted to hear.

On a different note... since you have had both and you mentiioned that they both have some advatanges and disadvantages.... if you don't mind could you give me a bit of your insight on what those are?

I love the 993 but unfortunately I can't get that car. Im in a wheelchair so I need the bit extra space that the 997 has in order to put chair in the back seats when I have someone riding in the front with me.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:03 AM
kimster
Intermediate

Zeus993..

It makes sense that the C2S would be more agile and fun to toss around than a all-wheel drive C4S... I didn't think about the all-wheel drive making the car more planted which is good if you were at a race track but not necesarly "Thrilling " in normal driving.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Check out the weight of the BMW M3, it's over 3700 lbs - what a tank.

I was at Texas World Speedway recently talking to an owner of a new M3, he said it made a fantastic daily driver and he could take a spare set of wheels to the track with him. However on the track he said he would rather be driving a Porsche.

John
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 07 C4S and agree the car feels more planted than the C2S. I also prefer the widebody look.
As for tiptronic you should really consider a 6-speed. The tips have lower resale value for a reason. If absolutely need an "automatic", then chin up for the 997.2 with PDK.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Got a 997.1 C4S Cabrio this April.
No regrets.
Love the car! It's everything I was looking for, and then some!
I agree, the wide body look is subjective (you know how I feel).

Test drove many Carrera's before pulling the trigger. Loved the CS, but the C4S just 'felt' better to me, more planted, more 'sure' powering out of corners.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the only thing i regret is not getting a GT variant (not that i could or can even now afford one!) since i do a lot of track events. otherwise my C2S is phenomenal and i love it.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I test drove the new M3 to replace my old '98 E36 M3 last year... I went with the '08 C2S. The new M3 is just to heavy for my liking. The C2S was much closer to the driving characteristics of old M3. BTW my wife loved the new M3 as it was roomier, more practical, and it was an automatic.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C2S will feel more "lively" and lighter. It will push more in curves, and to me the car requires more skill to drive through different elevations and degree's of curves. But very rewarding.
The C4S will give you more confidence doing the same driving, it also has the same characteristics but a bit more controlled due to the pwr in the front wheels. I've was saved several times with having the front wheels gripping in a turn.
I had the 4S first and thought I knew how to handle a 997, then I bought a C2S and I'm really starting to learn/enjoy the car in a different way.
Accelleration is really the same in both for the most part. I've not owned a Direct Injected 385HP car, but I would imagine its not too far from the 355HP I have now.

jason
Old 06-28-2012, 03:09 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a C2S and live in Delaware, where we don't have too much bad weather. If you're going to be using a car daily and you have bad weather to deal with i'd buy the 4. I drove both before I bought the rear wheel drive car, and I can't say I noticed a difference. I'm not a fan of the wide body either, for what it's worth. Also, some people say if you replace one tire on an all wheel drive car you need to replace all four so as not to ruin the computer. So if you trash a tire, you're going to potentially have to replace all four- a huge expense on these cars. So that factored into my decision too.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
not to ruin the computer. .
LOL , good one
Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 458 Posts

Have had both well actually all 3 cars. Originally my daily driver for 3+ yrs was an 08 e92 M3 coupe and I loved that car. It was just great. Also had a 997.2 C2 to go with it so it was like yin and yang. M3 was great car and V8 was just intoxicating sound wise especially with an Eissenman Sport exhaust. That said my Carrera S was a totally different animal. Driving was much more involved and you did feel in touch with everything the car was doing...it wasn't work mind you but "involvement" is the best way I can put it. Not tiring but enjoying to drive. Traded my M3 for an A7 for the space and more luxury GT family type of vehicle I could pick folks up and drive around without as my wife said "looking like I was looking for a part in the next fast and furiious" movie. Very nice and very swift with lovely interior appointments and technology. Can't really have a bad dad driving it either. Traded my C2S last Aug for a C4S and find it a great car. More optioned and just easy to drive on the track which I've done two HPDE with it since getting it...only found myself in the weeds once..and that was my fault for taking a turn too fast/faster than my brakes and my skill could have possibly handled and learning that even a C4S's all wheel drive won't save you from oversteering off the dayum track. But otherwise it has performed flawlessly and I do like the wider body/track and appointments. Also the fact that I can take my car to any climate or weather without worry helps alot. Both are great cars! You can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The only choice I question myself about was getting a black one before potentially taking a job offer in Mesa, AZ. Ooo it's going to be hot!

Maybe I could trade up for a white GTS.

Quick Reply: Anyone here with a C2S or C4S question their choice?