Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997.1: opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Jon Finkelstein
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997.1: opinions?

Hey guys,

I am thinking of adding the Porsche installed sports exhaust system to my C4S. This would included the by-pass button etc on the dash.

What are people's thoughts about this? Worth it? Options?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 12:40 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

People swear by the gundo hack (search for it)

Adding the PSE has become very expensive. Look to spend 3k in parts + installation. I plan to do the gundo hack on my car. Only downside is that there is no bypass button.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoffa
...Only downside is that there is no bypass button.
Trust me, if you had a bypass button you'd keep it on all the time anyway.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
joelpirela
Racer

FD motorsports exhaust. save the money.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:18 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Just to offer what I'm sure will be a counter-opinion here...

PSE happened to be an option on the car I bought. I leave it off 99.9% of the time. It does everything people say it does. That is, it makes the engine louder. That's all.

Why anyone would spend extra money to make their car louder (and I think more annoying) is beyond me. What's the point? It doesn't increase horsepower. It doesn't make the car faster. It doesn't DO anything.

<rant>
Correction. PSE does do something. It allows P-car owners to show off the fact that they're driving a sports car. "Look at me! I'm driving a Porsche! I can wake up sleeping children from the street! BBBRROAR!" It annoys everyone except its owner.

PSE allows P-car drivers to come one step closer to being one of those kids driving modded civics with coffee can exhaust tips. Gimme a break.

I only turn on PSE when I'm purposely trying to be a dick with my car. If someone tries to race me; cuts me off; gives me the finger for no reason, etc. I turn on PSE and take off. Is it worth $3K as an add-on? No friggin' way.

I bought my car for the acceleration, handling and lines. Just as I don't like to be screamed at, I don't feel the need to impose all that noise on innocent bystanders.

Do unto others...
</rant>
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the PSE. Put it on back in April of 2007 through the Tequipment program. It's never been turned off since. I did not have the switch installed. Always in sport mode. No drone. Sounds great. Children love it. Never been flipped off. I ignore modded Hondas.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

I just had my dealer install it to my '07 Cab S. I love the more aggressive sound. Unlike many others here, I actually do use the off button on occasion, like when I'm driving out of my quiet neighborhood.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wanted a bit more of a growl to my car and was about to do the Gundo hack when I came across a set of PSE cans for a couple hundred bucks more than the Gundo would have cost. I like the deeper sound, not ricer in my opinion. I plan on wiring a switch to turn the Pse on and off in the coming weeks. Did I say I love the sound?
Here's my $0.02. If you can get a set of lightly used Pse cans go for it. I wouldn't pay full price to add on afterwards. I would go with aftermarket exhaust which is cheaper, lighter, and may give you a minor performance gain. If your on a budget go Gundo. If it sounds anything like PSE you will love it.

Ken.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
I just had my dealer install it to my '07 Cab S. I love the more aggressive sound. Unlike many others here, I actually do use the off button on occasion, like when I'm driving out of my quiet neighborhood.
What does a dealer install cost if you don't mind saying? Are the exhaust tips replaced as well?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

I love the PSE and it's always on. I happen to believe that its too quiet for my taste. My next mod is 200cel cats.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18

PSE happened to be an option on the car I bought. I leave it off 99.9% of the time. It does everything people say it does. That is, it makes the engine louder. That's all.

Why anyone would spend extra money to make their car louder (and I think more annoying) is beyond me. What's the point? It doesn't increase horsepower. It doesn't make the car faster. It doesn't DO anything.

<rant>
Correction. PSE does do something. It allows P-car owners to show off the fact that they're driving a sports car. "Look at me! I'm driving a Porsche! I can wake up sleeping children from the street! BBBRROAR!" It annoys everyone except its owner.

PSE allows P-car drivers to come one step closer to being one of those kids driving modded civics with coffee can exhaust tips. Gimme a break.

I only turn on PSE when I'm purposely trying to be a dick with my car. If someone tries to race me; cuts me off; gives me the finger for no reason, etc. I turn on PSE and take off. Is it worth $3K as an add-on? No friggin' way.

I bought my car for the acceleration, handling and lines. Just as I don't like to be screamed at, I don't feel the need to impose all that noise on innocent bystanders.

Do unto others...
</rant>
I respect your point of view, but for me a sporty sound is a key part of the sports car experience. I don't mean just loud, like the kids with the stove pipe exhaust pipes. I mean the symphony of sound emanating from most high end sports cars, Ferrari of course being at the pinnacle.

In the spirit of full disclosure I must confess that there are times, like prolonged trips on expressways, when I will disable PSE. On the other hand I can't imagine not having PSE engaged when I take my spirited drives in the country. Moreover, I must admit that I'm let down when I see a high end car like a BMW or MB, and they don't sound much different than a Lexus.

Bottom line is that a sports car should sound like one and not like a Lexus LS something or other.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18

<rant>

Do unto others...
</rant>
Egad mgordon18, seriously? I'm surprised you're even on this forum...Ever gone to an F1 race? When those cars come screaming by at 15,000 rpm, it's like being chased by a pack of rabid wolves--the adrenaline flows. Imagine if those cars sounded like V6 Buicks at the start; the announcers wouldn't exactly prod us to "turn up the volume!".

FWIW, to the OP of this thread, Jon, of course it's worth it--if it's comfortably affordable for you. If not, there are other less expensive options like the Gundo hack. Why do it? IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SOUND AND FEEL OF THE CAR. That's why we drive these things. Modern Porsches without exhaust modification sound to me like many other cars out there; that is, not too special. Add the enhanced exhaust, and your heart starts singing as the revs climb. If you can do it, it's a no-brainer.

One more thing...you're not being any more of a dick when the exhaust is enhanced than when you're putting around in the car going to your nearest ice cream stand. The 911 makes a statement no matter what; some guys need the car to compensate for other inadequacies. For those of us who've dreamed about the car for decades and have been able to live the dream, the enhanced sound makes it that much more special for us, the driver. Enjoy your car as it is; if you're able to make this mod, you'll love it even more.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I respect your point of view, but for me a sporty sound is a key part of the sports car experience. I don't mean just loud, like the kids with the stove pipe exhaust pipes. I mean the symphony of sound emanating from most high end sports cars, Ferrari of course being at the pinnacle.

In the spirit of full disclosure I must confess that there are times, like prolonged trips on expressways, when I will disable PSE. On the other hand I can't imagine not having PSE engaged when I take my spirited drives in the country. Moreover, I must admit that I'm let down when I see a high end car like a BMW or MB, and they don't sound much different than a Lexus.

Bottom line is that a sports car should sound like one and not like a Lexus LS something or other.
Well said.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Pse rules. I leave it on all the time. Should be standard
Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

So the pse does not give any horsepower advantage?

Quick Reply: Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997.1: opinions?