Sponsored by:

Do I need a new tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Porsche605
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I need a new tire?

I hit a curb today and got some curb rash on my wheel, but the curb put a gouge on the side wall. It is about 1/2 inch and it doesn't go to the threads. Is this something that needs to be addressed right away or will I be okay for daily driving for a few weeks?
Name:  IMG_1900.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1902.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1903.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1901.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  397.1 KB
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

IMO... no. Jst trim it off. I've done it too.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

No side wall bulge is a good sign.

But I still like to err on the side of caution and I would replace the tire with an identical one. You could ask your dealer's senior tech his advice, but my WAG is he would advise you to replace the tire. And if it is not clear I would agree with him.

If the two tires are original and getting on in years, you might just replace them both. (Porsche considers tire life (based on time) to be 6 years. Check the date the tire was made to determine its age.

If the tires are worn >30%, both should be replaced.

Also, I strongly suspect this bump knocked the alignnent out so I would have the alignment done after the tire or tires replaced. Oh be sure you ask whoever changes/balances the tire to pay particular attention to the wheel's runout. The wheel might be bent and this could render the wheel unusable.

For the alignment, be prepared: remove all dead weight (junk) from the car; have the spare tire (if of course the car came with one) and tool kit present and properly secure; fill up the gas tank.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Porsche605
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
No side wall bulge is a good sign.

But I still like to err on the side of caution and I would replace the tire with an identical one. You could ask your dealer's senior tech his advice, but my WAG is he would advise you to replace the tire. And if it is not clear I would agree with him.

If the two tires are original and getting on in years, you might just replace them both. (Porsche considers tire life (based on time) to be 6 years. Check the date the tire was made to determine its age.

If the tires are worn >30%, both should be replaced.

Also, I strongly suspect this bump knocked the alignnent out so I would have the alignment done after the tire or tires replaced. Oh be sure you ask whoever changes/balances the tire to pay particular attention to the wheel's runout. The wheel might be bent and this could render the wheel unusable.

For the alignment, be prepared: remove all dead weight (junk) from the car; have the spare tire (if of course the car came with one) and tool kit present and properly secure; fill up the gas tank.

Sincerely,

Macster.
The rear tires are only 5 months old. I've put 5,000 miles on them and there is lots of tread left.

Yeah, hopefully the wheel isn't bent. I think damage is just on the corner, but it is hard to tell until the tire is off the wheel.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tires are cheap, compared to sheet metal. Replace the tire. Your alignment will be out, too. Keep the damaged tire as an emergency spare. A rear tire on a 911, with 5,000 miles, is about 1/2 worn. A quality wheel repair for the curb rash will be about $150.

Last edited by No HTwo O; 06-27-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

What is your safety worth? If nothing, then no worries....

What is your car worth? If more than a set of tires, there you go
Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll get the tire replaced.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace it. Touch up the rim after.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche605
The rear tires are only 5 months old. I've put 5,000 miles on them and there is lots of tread left.

Yeah, hopefully the wheel isn't bent. I think damage is just on the corner, but it is hard to tell until the tire is off the wheel.
At 5 months old the tires are obviously not due to be replaced due to old age.

5K miles given my experience with my 2 cars is about 25% of the tire's life, so the existing tire is worn say 25%. This is borderline. When my Turbo need a new front tire from a deer collision the insurance company paid to replace both front tires even though the tires were down just about 15%.

So there's some kind of argument that even 30% is not always acceptable. IIRC though this is the wear amount difference Porsche states that can or should exist between tires. Any more and both tires should be replaced.

What kind of tire life do you get with your car and its rear tires? If you say 20K you might squeak by. Anything less...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

5K miles given my experience with my 2 cars is about 25% of the tire's life, so the existing tire is worn say 25%. This is borderline. When my Turbo need a new front tire from a deer collision the insurance company paid to replace both front tires even though the tires were down just about 15%.

So there's some kind of argument that even 30% is not always acceptable. IIRC though this is the wear amount difference Porsche states that can or should exist between tires. Any more and both tires should be replaced.

What kind of tire life do you get with your car and its rear tires? If you say 20K you might squeak by. Anything less...

Sincerely,

Macster.
20K miles on your tires? That's impressive. I thought that I was doing good getting 15K miles on my rear tires. Most of the guys I know only get around 10K miles on the rear tires.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Porsche605
Advanced

Sincerely,

Macster.
Not sure yet. I just switch to Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are rated for 50,000 miles and after 5,000 miles I can barely notice any wear. Although I haven't done any DE or autocross events. Mostly mixed highway and surface street DD driving. So, I might get by with just replacing the one tire.

Quick Reply: Do I need a new tire?