Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions on new setup..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Bono
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions on new setup..

Following up a post I did about a month ago on my 2009 997.2. Have new adjustable lower arms in now, and my shop in Chicago set maxed out the negative camber front and back to -3 and -3. I think they figure they can dial it back from there after I drive it, look at tire wear, etc. I have used it for one event since setup and car drove good. Any specific issues with having same negative camber front and back?..what is your preferred setup?..also any comments on toe-in/out would be appreciated..thanks.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like your shop is going with "trial and error", or maybe they have no idea what theyre doing. either way, not a good way to go. find a new shop. you can get all the opinions you want on here but a reputable (porsche) race shop will already have a pretty good idea of what the best set up is for your car, including your mods. they will prob even know how to fine tune for specific tracks.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bono
Following up a post I did about a month ago on my 2009 997.2. Have new adjustable lower arms in now, and my shop in Chicago set maxed out the negative camber front and back to -3 and -3. I think they figure they can dial it back from there after I drive it, look at tire wear, etc. I have used it for one event since setup and car drove good. Any specific issues with having same negative camber front and back?..what is your preferred setup?..also any comments on toe-in/out would be appreciated..thanks.
for track car it is typical to set rear camber to be 0.5 deg lower than front camber, so, -3 front and -2.5 rear. some people change it due to their personal preferences. equal camber is usually set on cars with very neutral weight balance, like on boxsters but for 997 car it is not good.

-3 deg front is OK if you run on hoosiers or v710 kumho tires. if you run on street tires or 'streetable' r-comps like NT01 or R888 then perhaps to dial out a bit will be good, like -2.7 or -2.5 front -2.2 or 2 rear. it will improve braking stability.

that much of camber only needed for track to improve cornering grip. if you drive car on the street only all you`ll get from this camber will be a tire worn out on the inside. for street only car set it to under -2 deg front, -1.7 or -1.5 front and -1.2 rear. set rear toe to .10 and front to .05 or so, not to exact 0 as with 0 toe in front car`s steering will feel a bit nervous on the highway. best thing for you would be to get alignmnet done at the shop that knows 997/996 gt3 cars.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 AM
gonz911
Pro

Subscribed for future reference
Old 07-08-2012, 02:27 PM
jurnes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
for track car it is typical to set rear camber to be 0.5 deg lower than front camber, so, -3 front and -2.5 rear. some people change it due to their personal preferences. equal camber is usually set on cars with very neutral weight balance, like on boxsters but for 997 car it is not good.

-3 deg front is OK if you run on hoosiers or v710 kumho tires. if you run on street tires or 'streetable' r-comps like NT01 or R888 then perhaps to dial out a bit will be good, like -2.7 or -2.5 front -2.2 or 2 rear. it will improve braking stability.

that much of camber only needed for track to improve cornering grip. if you drive car on the street only all you`ll get from this camber will be a tire worn out on the inside. for street only car set it to under -2 deg front, -1.7 or -1.5 front and -1.2 rear. set rear toe to .10 and front to .05 or so, not to exact 0 as with 0 toe in front car`s steering will feel a bit nervous on the highway. best thing for you would be to get alignmnet done at the shop that knows 997/996 gt3 cars.
Exactly correct: Every word!

Quick Reply: Need some opinions on new setup..