Sponsored by:

buzzing sound undernearth car--periodicity

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 PM
rccman100
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buzzing sound undernearth car--periodicity

So I've noticed in my "new to me" '07 C4S that when driving along there is a metallic buzzing sound which sounds like it's coming from under the car about dead center. It's like very 5-10 seconds while cruising. I tried to record it and post the .wav file but it's hard to capture. you notice it most with the windows open. I can exaggerate it by accelerating hard then releasing the go pedal to let the car surge under it's own engine braking. It almost sounds like my old Land cruiser when the heat shields were about to go. any clue without hearing it?

rccman
Old 06-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Fuel pump? Do you think it's from a vibration or from some device?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 AM
rccman100
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Do you think it's from a vibration or from some device?
This is a GREAT question. I'm not sure I can answer that yet. I'm 50/50 on it. I hadn't thought of a fuel pump. Need to think of what experiment will help me answer this question... I guess I should just pick up the Porsche technician and take him for a drive. I have a year of CPO warranty.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Had a sound under c4s. Had a very hard time finding as it was intermittent. Finally found out where it was coming from....pdk. Buzzing grinding sound. Warranty replacement dealer lreplaced whole transmission. Not meant to scare but if car is still cpo then it would be good to find out asap
Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an 07 4S and also had this strange metallic rattle or buzz, in my case it was some of the clips around the exhaust which had broken off which secured some tubing. I have a factory PSE and believe it was part of that system but not sure. Ended up using metal hose clamps to reaffix the tubing.

To note since you have a 07, you wont have a PDK.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:20 PM
jason74
Instructor

My 07 had a 'tinny' type rattle from rear. dealer couldn't replicate it (CPO also). when i'd bump the rear bumper with my hand, would somewhat reproduce the pitch. i got under the heat shields and pushed them around a bit and it improved.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rccman100
This is a GREAT question. I'm not sure I can answer that yet. I'm 50/50 on it. I hadn't thought of a fuel pump. Need to think of what experiment will help me answer this question... I guess I should just pick up the Porsche technician and take him for a drive. I have a year of CPO warranty.
That would be my advice/recommendation. Be sure you know how to reproduce the noise and arrange to have a tech ride along or drive your car.

He'll be the quickest to know what's going on. If necessary he'll put the car on the lift and check for loose heat shields, exhaust hangers, etc.

That CPO warranty is a nice feature. Use it.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: buzzing sound undernearth car--periodicity