Any Electrical Issues on 997.1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 AM
matthewlesko
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any Electrical Issues on 997.1?

Hi all,

I am currently looking at an '08 C4S with 50k on the clock. After looking over the CarFax, the horn has been replaced twice and the starter has been replaced once (and the engine was pulled at the same time of the starter replacement, I am assuming that the engine needs to get pulled to replace the starter based on some of the things I have read, but need to clear that up with the dealer). Based on this info, it makes me a bit concerned that there may be electrical issues with this car. Are these red flags in the electrical department or should their replacement make me feel okay?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Horns are a known piece of crap. They go all the time.
Other than that, some folks reported issues with the battery cable and hard starting.

I don't see the issues you reported as being a warning.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery cable was up-graded in early 2007, so you should have no problems there with a 2008. Had the horn in my car replaced, a known problem, but there shouldn't be any other significant electrical issues.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having the "depress clutch pedal" switch replaced right now. The Indy shop I went to says it is pretty common. Not sure how recent - but there is a Porsche re-designed part. We are waiting an extra day to get that switch vs. the original.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
The battery cable was up-graded in early 2007, so you should have no problems there with a 2008. Had the horn in my car replaced, a known problem, but there shouldn't be any other significant electrical issues.
For some reason I read 2005.
You are of course correct.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a MY05, and I did have the battery cable replaced ($950, but my extended warranty paid $900). Otherwise, so far no electrical problems. Horns seem to be ok too. Once in a while the "Depress Clutch Pedal" message beeps, but it's after the car starts, doesn't prevent it from starting, and it's very infrequent. I'm thinking it's when I hit the starter too quickly as I'm depressing the pedal. Seems to have started after I had the clutch replaced and IMS bearing done. Perhaps next time I'll mention it to my indie who did the clutch/IMS, perhaps it's just an adjustment.

I notice that the warning electronics seem to be a tad unstable. Now and then I get an "ABS failure/PASM failure" warning, but if I turn the motor off and re-start, it's gone for good.

And once I had the dash lights stay on permanently, which required a re-boot by the dealer's laptop to sort. These have been very sporadic, one-off events, which I've experienced on other late-model cars as well. The amount of computer crap on the newer cars is mind-boggling, and most of it is "because we can" engineering, as there seems to be little purpose in it other than gimmickery.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM
matthewlesko
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all for the input. It's appreciated.

Quick Reply: Any Electrical Issues on 997.1?