Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires...Tires.....tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT MIX tire brands, it's well known fact it may even be dangerous, lots of threads on it. I also do NOT understand the reasoning to try a different set on rears? You think Michelin/Bridgestone tires would handle/ride better? If so, whatever gain you may perceive from those brands, will be negated by 10-fold when mixing with a different front tire brand.

JK
Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

There's lots of tire debate going on right now on the 996 board too (it's a shocker, I know...).

Personally, I would replace all four with the same tire for the reasons mentioned above. I've gone away from Conti and Pirelli for my C4S and I prefer Michelin. They don't make the Pilot Super Sport in the proper sizes for the wide body 996, so I am sticking with the PS2 which I think is a great tire. I've had sets of these and sets of cheaper tires over the years, and I like the PS2 the best.

If you don't want to spend the money for four new N-spec tires, I'd recommend getting four new less-expensive tires like Sumitomos or Hankooks. I think this is a better solution than mixing brands.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Charolastra
I think it's a "your mileage may vary" kind of issue. If you are not pushing the absolute limits of your tires, and are driving in "normal" weather conditions, you should be ok. With that said, however, I have no idea if an insurance company would view it the same, were the unthinkable to happen.....
You'll never notice the difference so long as you're always driving comfortably within the limits of grip of all your tires. Why the @#%$@# would you have bought a 996 if you always drive comfortably within the limits of your tires, though?

Even on the edge of traction, it's not a problem if you think ahead and know what to expect and drive appropriately. The problem is not during autocross or at the track or doing spirited twisties, but during those boring commute drives where you're forced to maneuver when you lease expect to and can't plan ahead. Like when you hit a corner just a wee bit too fast for conditions (especially when you expected your car to be able to hold it) or have to swerve to avoid an accident. THOSE are the times that everyone talks about when they warn not to mix/match tires, and why so many tire centers will literally refuse to put the new tires anywhere but the rear and then you have to sit and explain to the manager that Porsches have different size wheels and tires, and no, it's an idiotic zero-tolerance policy because you can't just rotate them, and finally get sick of it and just start bringing the wheels in loose.

Tires will heat cycle and often lose grip as they age, even in dry conditions where tread depth is less of an issue. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes in handling to have new front/old rear or vice versa- it's enough that I literally have to adjust my sway bar to compensate.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:19 AM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

"If you don't want to spend the money for four new N-spec tires, I'd recommend getting four new less-expensive tires like Sumitomos or Hankooks. I think this is a better solution than mixing brands".

+1 for Dennis C. Three things not to take a chance with: Tires, Brakes, or Steering
Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

OK, nuff said...First of all the temperature here in Fort Lauderdale NEVER get below, say 50 degrees so that's not a problem..secondly, this is a car that we use for a nice drive..no auto cross, no DE.
And why a 997? Cause I LOVE the look and feel of the car...at my ripe old age of 77 my years of "pushing the envelope" are long gone...
To you "whippersnappers" racing was fun in Bug eye Sprites in the 60's, and 70's...(remember those?)
I know my limits my reaction time, my reflexes....and I just love my 7th 911....and taking a nice top down drive in the evening or on a weekend is my fun....so there
As far as the tires I just dont believe it will really be a problem to put 305 Bridgestones on, in addition to the rears being wider that the fronts, do you really replace all 4 at once? If not you have 1/2 worn out tires on the front.....so 'splain that to me...
There is a lot of B/S out there............
Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

How come it's NOT okay to mix/match tire brands front/rear because they'll have different "handling characteristics"... yet there's no problem if you:

1) replace your rear tires with wider ones
2) change your camber, toe-in, etc., which has definitely noticeable "handling" differences

?

Sure, tire manufacturers will tell you have to replace all 4 tires, since this is great way to sell twice as many tires. But what experiment or study or experience has told us that it's dangerous to mix/match the front/rear? Or is it just "common wisdom" like breaking a mirror will result in 7 years of bad luck?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:33 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
OK, nuff said...First of all the temperature here in Fort Lauderdale NEVER get below, say 50 degrees so that's not a problem..secondly, this is a car that we use for a nice drive..no auto cross, no DE.
And why a 997? Cause I LOVE the look and feel of the car...at my ripe old age of 77 my years of "pushing the envelope" are long gone...
To you "whippersnappers" racing was fun in Bug eye Sprites in the 60's, and 70's...(remember those?)
I know my limits my reaction time, my reflexes....and I just love my 7th 911....and taking a nice top down drive in the evening or on a weekend is my fun....so there
As far as the tires I just dont believe it will really be a problem to put 305 Bridgestones on, in addition to the rears being wider that the fronts, do you really replace all 4 at once? If not you have 1/2 worn out tires on the front.....so 'splain that to me...
There is a lot of B/S out there............
+1. BS squared. I spent 6 years Building and racing forest rally cars (and being competitive in the process ) and it was pretty unusual for me to run the same brand front and rear. As well as being based upon economics i would pick the brand for F/R based upon the characteristics i wanted from that axle. If you follow the logic that it needs to be the same front and rear then it would also be wrong to run different compounds front and rear.... And to mix N1\ N2 s....
Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

GASONGASOFF and SCOTSSKIER...
Exactly my thoughts.......
Enough of this B/S .... I'm almost sorry I asked....
305 19 "whatevers" for my new rears, I want QUIET, SOFTER riding...
Old 06-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Seniors don't let seniors make bad decisions. Don't mix
Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Something to think about.....

There are a few track guys I drive with....Excellent drivers, very fast, great instructors...that drive on Nitto NT01 fronts and Toyo RA1 rears....zero issues and speeds and side load forces that you can't come with in 50% of on the street.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Under 'normal' conditions of average day-to-day motoring, when you drive in an 'average' way you won't notice any difference.

HOWEVER, it is when you subject the car to any sudden load (emergency brake, aquaplane, sudden avoidance) DURING your 'daily drive' when you 'don't push it at all', that you will fall victim to unmatched tyres.

Under these conditions, you (inadvertently or otherwise) demand the maximum from your tyres. Different manufacture tyres have different wall stiffness and tyre slip angle, to mention but TWO of the (probably most critical) attributes.

These differences, under the extreme conditions, WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE and this may well matter. The 'difference' will be the point under load that the tyre gives up its grip, and how aggressively it does so. Whilst our fancy PSM and the suchlike will do its best to help you out, it can't beat physics, and so your choice of mixed tyres may be the factor that causes you to clip the kerb, the lamppost... or worse... on that one occasion when a balanced set would have not presented the PSM with such a difficult task.

The N ratings specifically include a wall stiffness factor. Now, using, e.g., MPSS all round may not meet Porsche's specific standards (as they're not N-rated) but it is unlikely to result in an unstable vehicle under daily drive emergency conditions. BUT using MPSS up front and some other brand on rears may well do so...

Quick Reply: Tires...Tires.....tires