Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror Issue

Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mirror Issue

Found this today on the way home from work in my rear view. Oblong size at the center top of the mirror, basically ruined. My car sat outside and it was in the 80's today, possibly heat related ?

Anyone else had this happen ?
Cost for a new mirror installed ?

TIA

jason
Attached Images    
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure the photos do justice to what you are attempting to illustrate. If, however, this is an auto dimming mirror, which I suspect based on photos, they have fluids within and you may have a problem. It will likely beed to be replaced with same or a non-auto dimming mirror. So, the cost would be based on your preference.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a common failure on BMWs with earlier self dimming mirrors. The mirror contains a chemical liquid that somehow is electrified to create the dimming effect. Once it has separated like this, the mirror is done. With BMWs is it acknowledged that the fluid is both highly toxic and corrosive. It can sometimes leak and drip onto the center console where it will eat away at the finish. If you can try to remove the mirror or place something around it so that it does not leak into your interior.

Now bear with me...the manufacturer of the BMW mirrors (not BMW NA) quietly admits their products do fail form time to time, and will actually replace a defective mirror at their discretion, for free. I have had this done. For Porsche, I don't know that its the same company, but most likely you will need to contact Porsche to see if they will assist in the replacement. I am guessing the part is over $500. As the poster above suggested, some have chosen to replace the part with a non-dimming mirror, or to disassemble and place a custom cut piece of glass there to save cost/and or to rid themselves of a part that can fail.

In the BMW world the failure is believed to be heat and age related, but why some fail and others don't is not known.

GL!!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the same problem with my Audi A6. Very expensive to replace but there is a place that will rebuild it for about $90. You have to remove it and ship it to them. They do a pretty quick (2-3 day) turn around and ship it back. I was very happy with the whole deal

http://www.sybesmas.com/home.html

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:25 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Older thread and had this same problem. Easy fix and cost me $100 to have repaired.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-creaking.html

this link shows you how to disassemble your mirror.

this link is to Scott who repaired my mirror for $100 bucks.

http://www.radar-mirror.com/Contact.html

saved me hundreds!
Old 06-13-2018, 02:37 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

Have also used these folks. Worked fine and new mirror hasn't been a problem for probably over 7 years (on a BMW that I still have).

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Had the same problem with my Audi A6. Very expensive to replace but there is a place that will rebuild it for about $90. You have to remove it and ship it to them. They do a pretty quick (2-3 day) turn around and ship it back. I was very happy with the whole deal

http://www.sybesmas.com/home.html

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mirror Issue