Sponsored by:

Best Mod - Track Time and Instruction

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Mod - Track Time and Instruction

For the first time in a year of owning the Carrera I finally got to spend some track time and instruction - find the line - I'm hooked!

As a PCA Member for the Longhorn Region (South Texas) I participated in a 5-hour track day yesterday. It was planned as an instructional event with 4 groups, each having a leader. I got to run with a pack of variety of classic to new, full race prep (not in my group) to fully stock.

The event was held at Harris Hill in San Marcos, TX. The course is 1.82 miles, 11 turns, 150' elevation change. We ran the course clockwise, then counter-clockwise. The latter was really something else and I enjoyed what was turn 2 clockwise in the opposite - sort of like a corkscrew.

I'm a true beginner but by the end of the session I began to realize how I could push the car and how it handled. I'm really pleased I added the coil overs and the Sport Mode software recently installed really came in helpful.

A few pictures of the event. I CAN'T WAIT TO DO THIS AGAIN. Next up is a PCA sponsored auto cross later this month.

Tech Inspection - I just had the brake fluid flushed and new pads earlier in the week.

BEAST - Turbo S

Not a replica

Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

That looks like a fast track with those sweeping curves. Is yours a stick? Also did you have PSM on or off?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm obviously inexperienced and can't speak to other tracks but man, following the pack (a few behind me in my group) it was very fast. More than anything else I learned what the car can do and how it handles. My car is a tip but I just added Sport Mode which Porsche installed a week ago. The PSM when on Sport Mode doesn't kick in until much later. I kept it on Sport the entire time. I was also impressed with the coil overs recently installed and new Hancook Evo with how well they gripped. Overall the car did well and the new brake pads and flush I had no fading. I'm certain the stock brakes have their limits but I'm at best a novice.

I was told this would really make me learn more about the car and it's handling and they were right. I'm not going to do heavy tracking but every chance I get to do this I'm going to. I told my wife it was the most fun I've had in a while with my pants on!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:00 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

I am glad you told your wife that b'cos it runs close!

Quick Reply: Best Mod - Track Time and Instruction