Scan Tool for multi-cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Default Scan Tool for multi-cars

Looking for a little guidance here:

Are there any scan tools (I'm aware of durametric) that I can use to read codes in various systems + do resets when needed that can be used on multiple cars? I have a 997.2, an e60 bmw, and an r56 mini right now. Most likely future cars will stay in the bmw/porsche family.

Should I not screw around with it and just buy the Durametric + the Bavarian Technic version of that tool for the BMW cars???

I don't think I want or need something terribly advanced, mostly for basic troubleshooting w/o having to go to the dealer.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe all you need is a OBD 2 reader to read codes and clear check engine lights. You can pick one up or around 100 bucks. I don't know of a cross platform reader that can do much more thn that
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

simplest ODB2 reader from ebay that connects to USB port may do most of work but will not be able to get into details level durametric can to read full list of 'current' values, etc.

try any cheap 'elm 327' based cord and see it if will work for you.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...eader&_sacat=0
Old 06-03-2012, 06:27 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a cheap ($30) OBD II reader from Harbor Freight. Does what I need it to do; reads and clears codes but that's about all.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it depends on what you want to be able to do. OBD II tools are fairly limited (to emission related items) and can reset/read the CEL. The other diagnostic items your looking at cost a lot more but have much more capabilities.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Looking for a little guidance here:

Are there any scan tools (I'm aware of durametric) that I can use to read codes in various systems + do resets when needed that can be used on multiple cars? I have a 997.2, an e60 bmw, and an r56 mini right now. Most likely future cars will stay in the bmw/porsche family.

Should I not screw around with it and just buy the Durametric + the Bavarian Technic version of that tool for the BMW cars???

I don't think I want or need something terribly advanced, mostly for basic troubleshooting w/o having to go to the dealer.

Thanks
Actron makes a good selection of these tools. You can spend a little money or a lot of money.

You have to double check the specs, but most should be able to communicate with any car from a 96 on. (At least USA cars. Cars made for sale in other regions of the world received OBD2 communication support in other years.)

This would be PWM (older Ford/Mazda), VPW, ISO-9141-2 (lots of cars alot of 'foreign' cars), KWP2000 (less so but ditto), CAN (11/29 bit id, 500KBS (250KBS is popular in the UK/Europe region).

I have used a 9615 Actron for years, buying it back shortly after I bought a new '96 Mustang GT.

In '96 this predated CAN so it does not work with CAN vehicles but it worked with my '96 Mustang, '01 Camaro SS, 02 Boxster, 02 VW Golf TDi, my 08 Cayman S, my 03 Turbo. It did not work with my 06 GTO. For this I bought a GTO/GM specific tool, Predator IIRC.

Anyhow, the Actron unit worked with a number of vehicles owned by family friends, and at various jobs, co-workers.

Oh, Auto-Xray also makes good code readers. I have a couple of these at the office and use these for CAN vehicles.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

while there is overlap, BMW codes and OBD 2 codes are different. I would recommend the Peake FCX and if you tend to have airbag related problems or track the car, you may want to add the SRS reset tool. An OBD tool will not reset the service and oil lights on a BMW.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandS52
while there is overlap, BMW codes and OBD 2 codes are different. I would recommend the Peake FCX and if you tend to have airbag related problems or track the car, you may want to add the SRS reset tool. An OBD tool will not reset the service and oil lights on a BMW.
You make a good point that I failed to make clear.

The Actron/Auto-Xray tools are generic tools. (The Predator was a GM/GTO specific tool.)

If ones to go deeper into a car's controllers -- reset service indicators, tweak radiator fan speeds/heat settings (like the Predator offered) and so on, a special code reader/tool for a particular brand or model of car is the only way to go.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Appreciate all the responses. I think at this point I really just want the basics for diag/engine codes, etc. Its easy enough to find the code lists online now. It seems to get a unit that does "complete" diag I would need one of the high-end mechanics setups or the model specific units (Durametric for porsche for example).

I'm going to grab one of the less expensive units online and see what that gives me for the time being.

BTW, on newer bmws/minis (at least, that is all I know of) you can reset the service indicators with a somewhat unintuitive sequence of dashboard button presses. I just did the rear brakes on my wife's Mini and reset that indicator.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

What tool do u need to clear maintenance code?

Quick Reply: Scan Tool for multi-cars