Sponsored by:

My rear view mirror got knocked off windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:14 AM
andrewinla
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My rear view mirror got knocked off windshield

My kid hit her head on my self dimming rear view mirror.
I think the mounting point is also the rain sensor, I think.

The glue that was there on the mounting point is a soft silicone phone case type clear gummy material and not something hard like a sup glue.

I bought the 3 different adhesives for mirrors at Pep Boys.
I don't want to drive it like that this weekend and was hoping to fix it before Monday.

If I don't get an answer I guess the dealer may have the answer on Monday.
But hoping someone here has some advice.

I did search but nothing on the 997 side, just 928's and 924's.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:21 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what the question is. I did use 5 minute epoxy to reattach the rvm on my Subie when it fell off in extreme heat. But a Porsche is not a Subie (and visa versa). If it is warranteed I'd take it to a pro on monday. How's your daughters head?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:55 AM
spourreza
Pro

take it to the dealer.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM
andrewinla
Advanced

I guess the question was if I could find glue and do it myself. There is no way I will let the dealer convince me tht I need the whole windshield replaced. I'm just out of warranty.

Apparently some windshield repair places deal with this when replacing windshields. I'll try that route too.

Kids got a hard head she didn't even cry. I almost did.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Ecloebl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used epoxy to fasten the Garmin GPS that kept falling off the windshield of my SC400. Worked fine.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:52 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

the issue is the rain sensor, which is easily damaged when the mirror is removed. I would wait and let your dealer handle it. You could also look for a glass shop that has done high end cars and see if they can install it. If they have dealt with rain sensors they will be able to tell if the parts are OK.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:27 AM
andrewinla
Advanced

Yup the silicone gel pad is damaged. It's hard to tell if Suncoast has it from their site.
I will try local dealer Monday.
A glass shop installed the circular bracket but asked me to get the gel part from Porsche and bring it back to finish the install.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewinla
Yup the silicone gel pad is damaged. It's hard to tell if Suncoast has it from their site.
I will try local dealer Monday.
A glass shop installed the circular bracket but asked me to get the gel part from Porsche and bring it back to finish the install.
Were you able to determine if the adhesiv gel part is available from Porsche? Mine mirror fell off today all by itself.......

TIA.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Note: the silicone gel pad that sits between the glass and the rain sensor is not there to hold the mirror assembly on. The plastic mount around that circular region is what is glued to the glass.

The rain sensor just sits in the hole in the middle and the wiring tube/assembly and snaps into that ring with 4 tabs.

The mirror itself then snaps over that entire assembly with 2 metal spring clips.

That is all then covered with a clamshell 2 part plastic snap together housing.

So depending on what came off and how it was broken, would determine what needs to be replaced.

This image shows the rain sensor, its cover assmbly /wire routing tube, that snaps onto the window mount and then the golden metal looking spring clips on the mirror itself that would snap over that to attache to the window.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 AM
andrewinla
Advanced

I was able to get a disc shaped soft material the dealer sold me (about $25-30) that the glass shop put where the rain sensor goes.

It was about $50 for the whole fix.

The guy could have ripped me off and said $200 and I'd have probably paid it.
Its been rock solid for a while now.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Did that negate the rain sensor?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did what negate the rain sensor?

Its just an optical sensor - a camera - that looks for rain drops hitting the window. An unclear picture would make it harder for raindrops to be seen and the sensor to turn the wipers on (or off). I'll test mine out next week to see if my removing and re-installing it caused any issues. If it did, I'll get a new silicone sticky disc and put a clean one in.

Good to know they are reasonably priced at a dealer...well at least at that one dealer.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Just for the record: The rain sensor is not actually a camera that looks for rain drops. Instead, it shines an infrared LED emitter against the glass at an angle. There is an infrared sensor that measure the amount of infrared light it is receiving. The presence of water on the glass changes the refraction index of the glass where the water is in contact. More water causes more change. The electronics then can use the changes in IR light being received by the sensor to determine how much water is on that part of the windshield. It never "sees" the drops themselves.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Linnm
Pro

Default So if you are driving at light and not getting any

IR from the sunlight what makes the sensor work?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:36 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

There is a special gel pad for the rain sensor, and an experienced hand is valuable in resetting the mirror. Based on my experience with replacing my windshield (broken by a flying rock), in your situation I would take my car to a windshield place that specializes in replacing Porsche windshields and have them help you with just replacing the mirror. They are experts in that as well. In my case, the Porsche dealer sends all their windshield work to them anyway, so it like getting the very best people, but paying only a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: My rear view mirror got knocked off windshield