Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rain sensor seems too speed dependent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 PM
ffwd
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rain sensor seems too speed dependent?

Hello All. First Post. I love my '12 997.2 C4, ... except for the rain sensing intermittent wipers. The rain sensor seems to be too dependent on driving speed. At normal driving speed, the wiper speed is OK if set to low or mid sensitivity. But at standstill or slow driving, the wiper speed is much too slow, even at highest sensitivity. Dealer says the sensitivity cannot be adjusted. Windshield seems clean and unobstructed at the sensor location. Dealer placed the inspection sticker on the windshield very close below the mirror mount (sensor location); could that have an influence by reflection or refraction of the sensor's light beam? I have a hardwired V1 close next to the mirror mount, with the V1 cord spiraled around the mirror mount. Could that cord be causing EM interference to the sensor signal wire? Does anyone else have this problem with the rain sensor? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You really should not be driving a Porsche in the rain.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

I don't have the exact problem you've got but I do know that the rain sensor is not perfect. It takes a while to kick in etc... I just live with and... I drive mine in the rain. All the time. He loves it. Go for it.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Porsche doesn't have that option, so I just reach up there and turn them on, albeit not very often here in AZ.
I have another car that does have this feature, and in light rain it's slow to get going.
Imperfect science, me thinks.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Never used mine. If they ad anymore buttons yer gonna need a pilots licence to drive the frikin thing
Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 PM
ffwd
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Yeah, I'd rather just have the manual intermittent wipers... But is there anything that can be done to improve the rain sensor?

and the car loves the rain, it's a C4, so it says bring on the rain, snow, ice, mud, etc. It was awesome on slick roads last winter. Excellent handling and traction with winter tires. For fun I take it to the trash dump and the Home Depot too.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ffwd
Hello All. First Post. I love my '12 997.2 C4, ... except for the rain sensing intermittent wipers. The rain sensor seems to be too dependent on driving speed. At normal driving speed, the wiper speed is OK if set to low or mid sensitivity. But at standstill or slow driving, the wiper speed is much too slow, even at highest sensitivity. Dealer says the sensitivity cannot be adjusted. Windshield seems clean and unobstructed at the sensor location. Dealer placed the inspection sticker on the windshield very close below the mirror mount (sensor location); could that have an influence by reflection or refraction of the sensor's light beam? I have a hardwired V1 close next to the mirror mount, with the V1 cord spiraled around the mirror mount. Could that cord be causing EM interference to the sensor signal wire? Does anyone else have this problem with the rain sensor? Thanks for any suggestions.
I think your dealer may not know what he's talking about. Unless they have changed the rain sensor feature for 2012, the sensitivity is adjustable. From my '09 owner's manual:

Changing the sensitivity of the rain sensor
Sensitivity can be set with switch A in 4 stages:
Adjust switch A upwards –
high sensitivity.
The setting is confirmed by one wipe of the
windshield.
Adjust switch A downwards –low sensitivity.

Look under "Rain sensor" in the index of your manual.....
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the owners manual you can actually disable the rain sensor. To disable the rain sensor feature simply place the right stalk in the intermittent position before starting the car. This will disable the rain sensor feature and place the wipers in the standard intermittent wiper mode.

Unfortunately, I believe you would have to do this every time you start the car since it is not persistently disabled. Just another option to try.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my 2011, there is a setting in the PCM to turn the rain sensor on or off.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The rain sensor system is not likely based on speed (directly) but on the appearance of rain drops on the windscreen. The faster you drive, the higher the drop impact rate on the glass becomes, and the more rain hitting the windscreen (either from faster falling rain or car hitting the falling rain faster), the faster the wipers go.

its not a perfect system.. sometimes its too slow, but it is better than having to constantly manually adjust the speed.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
The rain sensor system is not likely based on speed (directly) but on the appearance of rain drops on the windscreen. The faster you drive, the higher the drop impact rate on the glass becomes, and the more rain hitting the windscreen (either from faster falling rain or car hitting the falling rain faster), the faster the wipers go.

its not a perfect system.. sometimes its too slow, but it is better than having to constantly manually adjust the speed.
You are correct sir.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove my 2012 997S in intermittant rain today for about six hours. I had a good opportunity to get acquainted with my rain sensor function. The rain sensor only ALMOST worked in the off and on rain which also varied in intensity. I would adjust for one rain event then by the next rain cell, the sensor would not react as it had previously and would require more adjustment. I finally gave up and turned the function off. Will apply Rainx tomorrow.

I have had good results with Rainx.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

I have no issue at all with how the rain sensing wipers work in the rain. I do however have an issue with the cretin who designed the system so that it must be manually reactivated each time the engine is started. On my Mercedes if the lever is set to rain-sensing position, the system operates just like setting the headlamps to AUTO...set it and forget it.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Just an FYI, they tell you NOT to use a product like RainX with the rain sensing systems.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:15 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Originally Posted by function12
Just an FYI, they tell you NOT to use a product like RainX with the rain sensing systems.
That makes sense. It won't detect the water drops if they bead and slide off the glass over the sensor too fast.

I'm very happy with the auto wipers on my car. They seem to work brilliantly.

Quick Reply: rain sensor seems too speed dependent?