Sponsored by:

Suggested Bay Area Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suggested Bay Area Drive

Had a spectacular drive this weekend. Best drive of my life, in fact! Breathtaking. Unforgettable. This is one for your bucket list.

It was a winter of 2011-2012 with less snow than usual so this time of the year was perfect. Prior year snow accumulations woulda made this drive best accomplished a few weeks later....perhaps Memorial Day weekend or just after. The drive would be tremendous any time of the year but residual snow on the mountains made it all that much more worthwhile.

Start in SF. Drive the usual roads to Yosemite.....Hwy 120. Take 120 as the Tioga Pass Rd all the way thru the park and down out of the Sierras to Mono Lake. Take 395 north to Gardnerville NV and then find Hwy 207 to Tahoe. Spend the nite. Take Hwy 50 south then Hwy 89 south back to Hwy 395 then go south. Take Hwy 108 over the Sonora Pass back to 120 then back to SF.

Twists. Turns. Straightaways. Marked altitude changes. Up to a 26% grade. Minimal traffic. Sterring with the throttle. Upshifts Downshifts. rocketing to 100 mph to pass the occasional Toyota. EVERYTHING a Porsche enthusiast would hope for in a drive. And the most spectacular and breathtaking scenery imaginable.

The GTS performed admirably. What an amazing automobile!

Last edited by LewisB; 05-21-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. Thanks. Will have to try it
Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are a couple of videos from my recent drive. Its somewhat difficult to drive with the left hand and hold the camera with the right hand so quality suffered. At any rate, hope these inspire you to try this drive or to find your own great drives.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisB
Had a spectacular drive this weekend. Best drive of my life, in fact! Breathtaking. Unforgettable. This is one for your bucket list.

It was a winter of 2011-2012 with less snow than usual so this time of the year was perfect. Prior year snow accumulations woulda made this drive best accomplished a few weeks later....perhaps Memorial Day weekend or just after. The drive would be tremendous any time of the year but residual snow on the mountains made it all that much more worthwhile.

Start in SF. Drive the usual roads to Yosemite.....Hwy 120. Take 120 as the Tioga Pass Rd all the way thru the park and down out of the Sierras to Mono Lake. Take 395 north to Gardnerville NV and then find Hwy 207 to Tahoe. Spend the nite. Take Hwy 50 south then Hwy 89 south back to Hwy 395 then go south. Take Hwy 108 over the Sonora Pass back to 120 then back to SF.

Twists. Turns. Straightaways. Marked altitude changes. Up to a 26% grade. Minimal traffic. Sterring with the throttle. Upshifts Downshifts. rocketing to 100 mph to pass the occasional Toyota. EVERYTHING a Porsche enthusiast would hope for in a drive. And the most spectacular and breathtaking scenery imaginable.

The GTS performed admirably. What an amazing automobile!
That area of the country is very beautiful. I've been up in the gold country with my Porsches but have never driven all the way through to 395. I've been up 395 as far as Ridgecrest but no further. One of these days I want to drive 395 all the way up at least as where I can cut over to 50 highway west.

Another nice route is 50 east across Nevada and points east. Be aware deer are a real hazard out there though on the loneliest highway in America.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Suggested Bay Area Drive