Sponsored by:

PDK clutch disengage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:50 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PDK clutch disengage?

I've noted something about the PDK that is probably inherent to the design...or maybe my driving. Id transitioned to the PDK from MT Porsches for 6 years and am making some adjustments. But this one is curious as it has happened three times now.

Driving up hill in 1st or 2nd, from stop sign to stop sign half blocks in SF (Bay area folks know what I mean!)......approach stop....let off accel pedal and weight of the car brings it to a quick stop going uphill.....if no traffic then brings it close to a stop....(like at 1AM) and then depress accel pedal quickly to keep moving and the car revs.....back off on accel and the clutch engages and then she goes.

Seems to me the clutch disengages as it senses weight and loss of forward momentum. Seems to think its time to disengage.

Of course, in a MT, I'd be working the clutch pedal and the accept pedal and such a rev would be prevented.

Anyone else notice this idiosyncrasy? What say you folks who are a lot smarter than me?

Last edited by LewisB; 05-15-2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Lewis,

Could this be the "hill brake" feature? My 997.2 (manual transmission) has that feature and when the "hill brake" engages, I have to apply a little more gas to overcome the "hill brake."
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Definitely not the hill brake....have to step on the brake to engage that feature...and I'm not touching the brake.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisB
Definitely not the hill brake....have to step on the brake to engage that feature...and I'm not touching the brake.
Haven't yet tried very steep slopes on my C2S, but the hill brake feature on my Cayenne S I'm absolutely sure needs no stepping on the brake to engage.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Then the engine should not rev when I press the accel pedal...as when I intentionally use the hill assist that does not happen. Further, the car is not stopped and there has bene no brake....just a free float with the engine revving as I press the accel.

I do believe the clutch has disengaged though. Maybe its part of this technology but I feel it is a little flawed.

This is an interesting link:
http://blog.truecar.com/2012/01/31/s...r-for-drivers/

Last edited by LewisB; 05-15-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: PDK clutch disengage?