Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Topped off oil, should I be concerned about overfill here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
onetrickpony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Topped off oil, should I be concerned about overfill here?

Had an oil change with the dealer a few weeks back, then on Saturday I noticed that the digital oil level meter was only halfway between the full and low meter. I became worried because I recall the meter always being at the full level prior to the oil change. When I spoke to the service advisor, he explained that the meter only represents the final 1 quart (not the entire 9 quarts) and that halfway is where it should be, but that if I wanted to top it off, use Mobile 1 or Total 0W40.

So, since it was about 2 ticks from the full mark, I added 1/2 quart of Mobile 1, and the level moved to the full mark. However, after driving for about an hour, I rechecked and now the meter is 1 tick above the full mark - or as high as the meter shows. So now I'm concerned it's overfilled? My question is, does the indicator let you know if it's overfilled and in the danger zone, or just that it's overfilled even if it's by a small amount that is not harmful to the engine? Did I overfill it to the point where it's harmful for the engine (adding 1/2 quart when the meter was at the 1/2 mark)?

My car is a 2006 CS.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

You are probably OK. Each of the larger marked areas ( bars) are about 0.4 L or about 0.4 Qt. The last area at the the top of the meter is much smaller. If you were one large bar plus the smaller top bar below full and added 1/2 Qt, you are most likely at the the "full" level. Double check the owner's manual but I think you are OK where you are.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Your oil gauge may fluctuate by 1 bar as well. I like to keep the oil reading just at 1 bar below full. Inevitably it would fluctuate between full and 1 bar below in my level garage. I find this oil reading perfect for my personal fixation/OCD with the electronic gauge. I wasn't too keen at 1st with not having an oil dip stick in these cars but now I realize that I check my oil everytime before I start her up. That's about 10x more than my last car with "ye old d-stick" which was checked at every fill up. Like Pavlov's dog, however, Porsche has figured out how to tap into my left sided engineering brain... if the gauge is off by more than 1 bar from 3/4 full or goes over the full line I have this urge to correct it... just maddening even though I know it's ok. But when the readings are correct... ahh, like a kiss on the OCD cranimum from the car mistress.

Just pull off the oil filter housing if you need to remove a small amount (I believe it's ~0.5 quarts) of oil. Technically you should also replace the rubber seal ring if you do so but a good cleaning and make sure to apply a thin layer of new oil to the ring would do fine as well. Clean the filter housing area where the ring goes back on of any debris as well before re-applying the rubber ring.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:27 AM
onetrickpony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dealer filled mine to the small bar over the fill line. About 1 in every ten checks it would show perfect. I wasn't too concerned because I burn about 1/2 quart about every 4000 miles.

Quick Reply: Topped off oil, should I be concerned about overfill here?