Sponsored by:

Tiny movement of passenger window during startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Tiny movement of passenger window during startup

I have a small electrical gremlin I think. When I turn the key just past the first position just before the car turns over, the passenger window moves down 1-2mm then back up. Then the car starts normally. I don't know why this happens?
Has anyone seen this with their 997.1? The car is going in to the dealership soon to get the PCM changed out and I would like them to fix it if this is not a normal thing. I brought it in a year ago to a different dealership and they could find no fault and said it was not fixable.

thanks so much
CB
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen that too with my C2S, but I've only had the car three weeks so no idea if it's normal...

-Chris
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an '08 C2S and it does the same thing. Since three of us have the same gremlin... well in marketing terms that's a feature.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

ironically i noticed this yesterday on my 07 4s, so this is some kind of feature and im sure its a setting that can probably be turned off. I thought its linked to when you enter and exit the car as the window normally goes down a tad to depressurize the interior
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

My '10 997.2 does the same thing.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Here's an excerpt from page 25 of the owners manual that might answer your question:
If the door windows are closed, they will be automatically opened by a few millimeters when the doors are opened and, when the doors are closed, they will be closed again. This makes it easier to open and close the doors and protects the seals.

Therefore, you should pull the door handle slowly so that the door window can be lowered before the door is opened.
And a somewhat related item from page 33:
Storing end position of the windows
If the battery is disconnected and reconnected, the windows will not be raised automatically when the door is closed.
1. Close the windows with the rocker switch once.
2. Press the rocker switch upwards again to store the end position of the windows in the control unit.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Here's an excerpt from page 25 of the owners manual that might answer your question:
If the door windows are closed, they will be automatically opened by a few millimeters when the doors are opened and, when the doors are closed, they will be closed again. This makes it easier to open and close the doors and protects the seals.

Therefore, you should pull the door handle slowly so that the door window can be lowered before the door is opened.
Absolutely correct - normal operation, not a gremlin.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did it yesterday, but stayed down a few mm. I had to open and close the door again to have it back up completely. My red 07 did the same thing from time to time.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 PM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I have a small electrical gremlin I think. When I turn the key just past the first position just before the car turns over, the passenger window moves down 1-2mm then back up. Then the car starts normally. I don't know why this happens?
Has anyone seen this with their 997.1? The car is going in to the dealership soon to get the PCM changed out and I would like them to fix it if this is not a normal thing. I brought it in a year ago to a different dealership and they could find no fault and said it was not fixable.

thanks so much
CB
This is a bug, for sure. The passenger window should not move at all when the ignition is turn passed 1st position (starting the car), it just doesn't make sense). Just to tell you that I have the same problem (07C4S) and the dealer told me it is "normal".
However, the following condition will make the passenger window stayed:

You open and close the passenger door before you start the car. Also you can do this the day before and the next morning the passenger window will not move when you start the car.
I don't know how long you need to park the car before this bug can be reproduced. I know I have this issue every morning when starting the car.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Thegman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ghost of Ferry Porsche...... A bit of him in every car!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too questioned my dealer when it happened to my Boxter. They were stumped and supposedly called tech support. They were told it was to keep the unopened passenger door glass from freezing shut. Can't remember the temp but made sense to me.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My new '08 Boxster and junky '06 997 did the exact same thing. Dealer couldn't fix either car.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Wow. Thanks for all the responses. I guess I will live with it. Not that big of a deal. I just wanted to make sure it is not out of the ordinary. It makes sense that this might be happening to keep the glass from freezing to the rubber seal.

Thanks so much all.

I have been driving my car like I stole it lately. Just went to Costco today 91 hour from my house each way) and loaded the car to the max. I got a number of strange looks and laughs from customers while loading the car up. I had to do it in a very organized fashion to fit it all in.

CB
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Okay, I've been known to drive the long route just to get more time behind the wheel, but you are my hero if you drove 91 hours to go to Costco! And, I know that there are Costco's within 5 hours of any where in NH. Go for it!

And, I too drive a 2007 C2 Midnight Blue/Sand Beige, Full Leather, Bose, Navigation, Bi Xenons, Heated Power Seats.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 AM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the 997s I've owned as well as my current Boxster do this.

Quick Reply: Tiny movement of passenger window during startup