Sponsored by:

PDK general question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts
Default PDK general question

I've never owned a clutch-type automatic transmission, but would consider a PDK in a 997.2.

Since it has a more traditional clutch(es) as opposed to a torque converter and bands, will a PDK-type auto have similar durability to a manual transmission's clutch, or can I expect it to last for years, like a more traditional automatic would?

Just wondering if I keep the car long-term, will I eventually have to rebuild the PDK as I would a manual transmission? If so, does anyone have any idea what kind of service interval the clutches have.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The clutches are supposed to last...whathever that really means...I suppose we will find out over time.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I the clutch in it will last as long as a manual clutch but I am sure constant use of launch control will cause premature wear just like it does doing it with a manual.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it is designed to last at least just past the warranty.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I've never owned a clutch-type automatic transmission, but would consider a PDK in a 997.2.

Since it has a more traditional clutch(es) as opposed to a torque converter and bands, will a PDK-type auto have similar durability to a manual transmission's clutch, or can I expect it to last for years, like a more traditional automatic would?

Just wondering if I keep the car long-term, will I eventually have to rebuild the PDK as I would a manual transmission? If so, does anyone have any idea what kind of service interval the clutches have.
The expectation is the PDK will last a long time and this includes the clutches.

For a couple of reasons. There are two clutches. They are multiplate and each have a huge friction surface area. They are wet. This lessens the wear/tear on them. Clutch engagement/engagement is done under computer control (as is the shifting even if one uses the PDK's manual mode) so the human factor is removed.

But how long is a long time? Since PDK's haven't been in service long there is not that much real world experience to go on.

All I can say is based on what I know is while I own an 02 Boxster with a 5-speed manual transmssion the car has over 254K miles and is on its original clutch, transmission, and even engine, I would have no qualms about getting a new car (or a good used car) with a PDK transmission.

However, I've never driven a PDK equipped car so whether I purchase a car with a PDK depends upon how well I like how the PDK works, and how the car works with the PDK.

Of course, if I bought the car with the PDK transmission I would treat it as I have the clutch/manual, and that is I would avoid abusing the thing, which in the case of the PDK mainly means I would avoid overusing launch control feature, though I read that Porsche doesn't audit the number of times this is used (however, I'm not sure I believe this).

I would also treat the PDK to an early fluid/filter service (unless prohibited by the owners manual) and more frequent fluid/filter services thereafter.

IOWs, I would have the original fluid changed early, maybe as early as at the end of 'break in' at 2K miles.

Then I would probably cut the recommended service mileage by 1/3rd or even half. Say if the PDK fluid change was due at 90K miles, I'd have it done at 60K or even 45K miles, not counting the 1st/early fluid change at say 2K miles. This means the fluid would changed at 2K miles, then again at say 45K or 60K miles and so on.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

PDK should outlast manual, speically if manual is driven by someone who doesn't shift properly, albeit launch control would definitely eat out the clutch. I remember GT-R dual clutch was limited to a few launch controls only to perserve the clutch.

Now, the one big downside of PDK longevity is that IF something goes wrong with it after warranty then it's a much costlier repair and in most cases the whole thing has to be replaced vs. manual.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
However, I've never driven a PDK equipped car so whether I purchase a car with a PDK depends upon how well I like how the PDK works, and how the car works with the PDK.
My recommendation would be to NOT drive one until you are seriously considering a change. For me it was over after the first test drive. Had a 997.1 6 speed and test drove an 997.2 PDK.

For two months after the first test drive I obsessed about how to justify trading a perfect CPO'ed 2007 for a newer PDK car. To end the pain, I just did it and couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: PDK general question