Sponsored by:

To Chip or not to chip ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Kdude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Chip or not to chip ...

A buddy of mine told me to install a european chip in my car.

He claims freer breathing motor...
Max top end...
Better gas mileage...

What are your thoughts comments about doing this too my 997.2 4S

Thanks ,
Howard
Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Did this buddy tell you how to do it? Never heard of anyone installing a "chip".
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There are few tuning companies capable of tuning the 997.2 Direct Injection motor. The "flash" is flashed directly thru the OBD2 port and usually takes about 10-20 minutes. Some companies offer data logging capabilities to adjust boost (on normally aspirated cars, this would be throttle response), engine timing, and fuel adjustments. Most likely, the top speed limiter is not removed, just set to a limit that is aerodynamically unattainable.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Kdude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then is it conceivable that I could get better gas mileage? Any chance of this hurting the motor or effecting warranty? He told me that the europeans are doing this as "par for the course"
Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdude
Then is it conceivable that I could get better gas mileage? Any chance of this hurting the motor or effecting warranty? He told me that the europeans are doing this as "par for the course"
If you want better gas mileage then you might consider a chip with a valet mode.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdude
It is conceivable that fuel efficiency can go up, though no tuner will tell you that. It depends on how you drive your car.

From my experience with flashing and tuning cars, a flash will not harm your motor*. The only real way of harming anything is human error, meaning the person tuning your car accidentally selects the wrong file for your ECU. If this happens, your ECU will lock up and you won't be able to start your car. This would mean you would need a new ECU, which isn't cheap and will more than likely be the responsibility of the tuner to replace, because they don't let untrained customers start flashing cars.

Warranty issues depends on direct damage that results from the flash (which never happens*) and the dealer has verifiable proof. If the dealer can show that a motor blew up because of a flash, then they can deny you any warranty replacement parts and work. They cannot void your warranty just on the basis of a flash. If you go in with a blown shock and tell them you have a flash, they cannot deny you warranty work. There is no way thru coding that they can see there is a flash. They could log some runs in your car to see if anything is "out of range", but dealers don't have the time or really care.

It is best that if you flash your car, keep records of it at home and be discrete about it, meaning don't go and tell the dealer. If the Porsche comes out with a factory update to the ECU and is required to reflash it, the majority of tuners already have the updated file that corresponds with the updated file and will reflash you back for free, as long as you have the receipt.

* - I, personally, have not seen a motor fail due to software alone. Not to say it has never happened. This is just my experience, previously working for a "ECU tuning company".
Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Some dealers (mine for example) offer chipping and they will still honor the warranty. If it's not done through your dealer and you have a problem your warranty could definitely be affected depending on the circumstances. Changing factory parameters may help performance in some areas while hurting others. There is no free lunch and Porsche is leaving very little on the table with their motors. My $.02.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-01-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Better gas mileage is easy ..... how much horsepower do you want to give up
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:Flashing is best done when intake which includes the famous Plenum and exhaust are max via better aftermarket tuning parts. Full exhaust and intake systems IMO is required to take full advantage of ECU tuning. Again, this is only common sense opinion. However, my advice, safe your money and upgrade to GT3 RS.:rockon

Quick Reply: To Chip or not to chip ...