Sponsored by:

Upcoming DE event

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Intertesting subject - on all events I did corner workers were hired pros.
Drivers only do staging work checking cars and run group band but no flagging.

Same here. With autocross you might work the course replacing the cones.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts

Familiarize yourself with the track. Check out a map and watch some videos - when viewing the videos, don't expect to go anywhere near as fast. Just use them to learn the track.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Intertesting subject - on all events I did corner workers were hired pros.
Drivers only do staging work checking cars and run group band but no flagging.
Our PCA chapter has participants work the corners (rookies paired with veterans). I really enjoyed it.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM
acao
Racer

Don't worry about the driving right now, you and your instructor will take care of that on the track. Your progress as a beginner is entirely about safety. Car control comes after safety.

1. Study the track map. Know the corners by their number. Watch videos and identify the corners by number. Spot the corner workers.

2. Put the flags on flash cards and memorize the flags.

3. Practice moving your focal point as far down the road as possible.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Search this:...I recieved lots of great feedback...
Willow Springs Big Track First Time DE
Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for all the great comments and info. Any recommendations about the brand and type of helmet? Obviously I dont own one now. Thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by surathdp
Thanks for all the great comments and info. Any recommendations about the brand and type of helmet? Obviously I dont own one now. Thanks
for track i would use close face only, as of brand - well, there are many.
i use HJC AR-10 II.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure you get an SA2010 (not 2005). Go to saferacer.com - they have some good deals on apparel including helmets. You can get a basic SA2010 Bell full face for $300.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If possible, go to a motorsports shop and try on different helmets. You will find that they fit differently, just like different makes of shoes fit differently. Pick one that's comfortable and in your budget. More $$ generally buys lighter weight, but not necessarily greater safety. All helmets sold today should meet the same Snell SA2010 protection standard.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In no particular order:

Check your ego at the door
Keep your eyes up and look ahead
Slow in/Fast out
Don't lift when accelerating out of a corner
Smooth is better than fast
In a spin/both feet in
Brake first/then downshift
Check tire pressures right after your stint...start with 30/32 (f/r). Don't let hot pressures get over 40-42
Bring windex/paper towels, torque wrench, driving gloves (mechanix work gloves will do), tire pressure gauge, lots of water
Drive gently when first leaving the paddock and the tires are cold (don't ask how I know)
Listen to your instructor but let instructor know when you get uncomfortable.
Watch for the red mist at the end of the day
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

depends of a corner but almost never to the apex, may be except 1st turn at lime rock where you enter turn very fast. i by much prefer to be on throttle than on brakes, fastest way to be fast-fast in and out of corner, means you adjust your corner entrance speed in the braking zone and then accelerate through entire corner. when mastered properly it works well, but you can spin out very easily this way if you miscalculate your inputs or will not set up car`s suspension properly prior to the corner - car will not turn. so braking is used to do 2 things - first is to adjust entrance speed and second is to preload suspension, so when you roll your foot from brake back into throttle is is imperative to be extra smooth and at same time you need keep car preloaded on the side that will need most grip. cars with motor in front need less attention to those details.
Made it back from the track day with no issues!
(had fun, and the car is still shiny)

I left the stability control on the whole time, and was impressed with how it worked.
(the last car I tracked would power down for a few seconds after the car slid a little)

What I noted is that the car was "snaking" at speeds where the tires were talking to me.
Is this normal for the car, or an artifact of the stability control.

Car: 2009 Stock Carrera, PDK, Michelin PS2 tires
Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fred2
What I noted is that the car was "snaking" at speeds where the tires were talking to me. Is this normal for the car, or an artifact of the stability control.

Car: 2009 Stock Carrera, PDK, Michelin PS2 tires
do you mean by 'snaking' that car started to slilde in the corner while you were on the throttle with tires screaming? that is perfectly normal as long you do not loose only one axle prematurely when car starts to slide.

it is difficult to say otherwise - worst thing PSM can do is to activate front brakes while you are at the apex, it did to me couple of times, couple of times it gace me CEL error complaining about yaw sensor readings but imho it all was related to some 'play' in the front suspension which i got fixed and after that i had no PSM issues or CELs. but i still drive with PSM off to avoid stupid car to atempt to lock my front axle at the apex, it feels pretty scary when it happens as it makes car to 'step' front axle to outside.

when PSM engages it lights up little yellow light bulb on the dash, keep a corner of the eye on the dash and you will notice it. PSM is critical for beginners as it saves from a spin if one oversteps on the throttle in the corner and it may be exactly what was going on with you, you need to be very careful with how much power you feed in after you entered the corner, you need to feel how close are you to the limit of what you car can handle.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

By snaking, I mean that the car felt loose and was like it was moving around.
I felt it both on corner entry, and mid corner.

I was wondering if the stability control was trying to reel it in, when is sensed some sliding.

As a reference, the last car I drove at Lightning was a Bertil Roos Formula car. That puppy was planted.

The 997 felt like a Lincoln Town car compared to the little formula car.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 AM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by Fred2
By snaking, I mean that the car felt loose and was like it was moving around.
I felt it both on corner entry, and mid corner.

I was wondering if the stability control was trying to reel it in, when is sensed some sliding.

As a reference, the last car I drove at Lightning was a Bertil Roos Formula car. That puppy was planted.

The 997 felt like a Lincoln Town car compared to the little formula car.
A couple of guesses without riding, for what little it's worth:

Inflation. If your tires are inflated to standard pressures cold, they may balloon when hot to very high pressures. This will compromise traction and your PSM will be very active.

Dampers. If your dampers are worn, but not necessarily shot, they may lack the ability to control extreme transitions. In a car with extreme weight difference front v rear such as the 911, it will cause the car to handle like it's two segments, the rear will require a moment after the front to take a set.

I'd look at inflation first.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

only advice i can give here - on next DE event ask for an instructor that owns 996 ot 997 car, let him drive your car and ask him what he feels. 'felt loose' feeling is difficult to rationalize. it definitely should not feel loose anywhere. my car is almost perfectly planted but it is in perfect shape and has rebuilt suspension... somebody must check it out for you. anbody who own 997 street or gt3 car should be able to tell right away how it feels.

Quick Reply: Upcoming DE event