Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav.System in 2007 997 (Turbo), need info.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012 | 05:37 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

Question Nav.System in 2007 997 (Turbo), need info.

Hello, everyone.

People, please tell me about the navigation system that was installed in 2007 997 models. Such a system is installed in 2007 Turbo that I am looking at, together with CD changer. There is no slot for SD card and no AUX exit between the seats, as far as I could see.
I have questions:
1) Will this system play mp3 files from CD discs?
2) Is it possible to fit some device such that I can play music from a USB stick or an MP3 player (not Apple)? If yes, what is the cost of this installation and is it Porsche original parts or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2012 | 10:57 PM
fgv1it
Racer

1) The system should play mp3 files from a CD without any problems.

2) There are several options to add an auxiliary input. That will aloow you to use an mp3 player but you will be restricted to controlling the music through the player, not the car's PCM. Most of the options that add the auxiliary input will also add an iPod connection, but I see that you are not interested in that. Some names that come to mind are Dension and NavTv.There is also an "OEM" set up with a Techquipment unit. Look at the website of Suncoast Porsche for a description and price. Note that with some of these units you loose the original CD changer that came with the car.

I know of no easy way to add a USB connection to play from a USB stick.

I burn mp3 CD's for my car, and I play them through the single-CD player that came with the car. Cheap and easy, and I control the music from the PCM.
Old 04-16-2012 | 11:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

What he did.

If you have a MY06 or later car the multi-stack CD player (remote) is sort of a waste. Probably the only thing I would have done differently had I known that the MP3 option would be there in the cockpit.

To add a no kidding USB capability to the 07 would require something to interrupt the MOST ring (fiber optic) and that would take a special kit. It's available for a price.
Old 04-17-2012 | 06:21 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Thanks, guys!

So let me see if I understand this correctly.

1) MP3 files will be played from main CD slot in PCM. Will the system read the tags? Does the number of mp3-tracks on a CD make any difference (I would load a CD full of mp3 files)?

2) The CD changer in the glove compartment will not play mp3 CDs?

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2012 | 01:58 PM
fgv1it
Racer

1) Yes, the system will read folders, title, album, artist, etc. from the files, assuming that the tags were placed correctly in the files during recording. You will be able to select folders and tracks individually using the PCM controls. I have loaded CD's almost completely full with mp3's into the unit without problems.

2) I have never tried using the CD changer for mp3's, but others have reported that it doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Nav.System in 2007 997 (Turbo), need info.