Sponsored by:

Removing an aftermarket sat radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing an aftermarket sat radio

Looking at a car that has an aftermarket sat radio installed right where my right knee needs to go. It was installed on a metal bracket that was screwed in underneath the dash. So, that part seems simple; just unscrew it. However, the antenna pops out where the window meets the dash and I'm not sure how they got it there.

I am not a car stereo buff and I have no idea what's involved in uninstalling this setup. Do you have to remove the dash to get rid of this thing or just pull out the PCM head unit or can I just unscrew the mount, cut the wires and pull (probably a bad idea :-P)?

If anyone has dealt with this before and could provide som insight it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jason
Old 04-15-2012, 12:19 AM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure your knee needs to go there?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by buddy911t
Are you sure your knee needs to go there?
Hehe... Yes, I am sure, I drove the car. Plus I have zero interest in sat radio and hate the look. But thanks for asking. :-P
Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I removed a Kenwood Sirius satellite radio receiver installed by the prior owner. I found that the unit was connected to the existing antenna cable behind the PCM. If yours is similar, you will have to remove the two side panels from your front console, then look for the black coaxial antenna cable. You should find a Y-connector, which you will simply unplug and then reconnect the standard antenna cable. No cutting is involved. Then, try to trace the others wires from the satellite radio (power, ground, infrared remote, etc.). You can either disconnect them (best) or cut them and tape the ends. After I removed the satellite radio, my AM/FM radio signal improved noticeably.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just bring it into a good automotive electrical shop (ie. stereo radio, alarms, etc etc) that works w/ Porsche vehicles. They'll get it out in no time. Should quick & easy for them.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine-al
I removed a Kenwood Sirius satellite radio receiver installed by the prior owner. I found that the unit was connected to the existing antenna cable behind the PCM. If yours is similar, you will have to remove the two side panels from your front console, then look for the black coaxial antenna cable. You should find a Y-connector, which you will simply unplug and then reconnect the standard antenna cable. No cutting is involved. Then, try to trace the others wires from the satellite radio (power, ground, infrared remote, etc.). You can either disconnect them (best) or cut them and tape the ends. After I removed the satellite radio, my AM/FM radio signal improved noticeably.
Excellent, this ^^^ is what I was looking for and this is probably what I'll end up doing if I get the car...

Originally Posted by AP997S
Just bring it into a good automotive electrical shop (ie. stereo radio, alarms, etc etc) that works w/ Porsche vehicles. They'll get it out in no time. Should quick & easy for them.
Thanks for the replies.

Jason
Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Interesting that the Sirius radio was spliced nto the standard antenna - I thought satellite radios had entirely different antennas and antenna connectors.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

You're right. The Kenwood box had a little Sirius antenna stuck on the dash that was connected back to the box by a thin wire.

The Kenwood box tapped into the existing am/fm antenna cable and fed the satellite radio signal into the factory system that way because there were no auxilliary inputs on the factory radio. The factory unit antenna had a male/female coupling - so it was simple to remove the "Y" tap and just reconnect the factory am/fm antenna without the tap.

Quick Reply: Removing an aftermarket sat radio