Received 1,275 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
i love that video, thx
+1. Love it.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my '05 base C2 with ~21K miles and CPO in early '09 when the auto market was at its nadir. Right now I could sell it privately for about $5K less than it cost me.

I've had little go wrong with it, but anything which goes wrong with these cars is venomously expensive, unless one wishes to DIY, which I do not. A starter cable needed replaced ($950) and the shifter cable broke ($500). Fortunately I had the wisdom to purchase a 6-year exclusionary warranty ($4600, half what the dealer wanted for a Fidelity) which paid for both repairs, and I still have 5 years to go under warranty.

I also had the clutch done (previous owner had to have ridden it or slipped it continually, it was stiff and half-worn @ 30K miles) and the LN-IMS retrofit, which cost me $2300 I believe, including RMS and the oil service.

I've replaced the front pads and all 4 tyres (bought Bridgestone A/S since I don't do performance driving, and after 10K they've still about 75% tread left). In all, I consider the car having displayed exemplary reliability to this writing. Thanks to the low price I paid, the relatively light depreciation ought to balance-out any out-of-pocket repairs not covered by the comprehensive warranty. So I feel rather set for the next 5 years. At that point, with the car 12 yrs old and out of warranty, I will re-assess my situation and options. Meantime, having test-driven the new 991 I've absolutely no desire whatsoever to own one, so if in 5 years I do wish to get another Porsche, I would be most likely looking for a low-mileage 997.2. I've long despised the ridiculous teardrop taillights, but taken in perspective with the myriad obnoxious new features of the 991, those taillights seem rather more liveable now

The pleasant thing is, as a Porsche ages it becomes "vintage", so there's actually a panache to driving one a dozen years or longer.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tpenta, sounds like you got a good deal on a hard driven, high mileage car They say every classic 911 costs $20.000, whether you pay it at purchase or later at the mechanic.

So, maybe we can safely say every mechanically sound 997.1 costs $60.000
Old 04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
ddd269
Track Day

Great video...

I too have bought an '06 C2S and was concerned about repair bills, etc. I've had it for about 2 weeks now and I'm happier the more I drive it. I think the joy of driving this car will overcome most repair expenses in the future.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

You know the previous owner abused the car. Care to indulge us? (smh)
Old 04-14-2012, 01:56 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

By the way, I forgot to mention that the driver-side radiator fan died 4 months ago as well. Also, the button for opening the front trunk doesn't work any more. Replacement part is on order.

Well, I don't relaly know for sure what the previous owner did. But I do know that having to change the transmission at 50k miles is not normal on these cars. I have been driving German manuals for 20 years so I am fairly certain I didn't contribute to it.

Also, the car had dangerous over-rev codes. Unfortunately, I didn't do that check when I purchased it. Like I said, I've learned my lesson...

-T
Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
By the way, I forgot to mention that the driver-side radiator fan died 4 months ago as well. Also, the button for opening the front trunk doesn't work any more. Replacement part is on order.

Well, I don't relaly know for sure what the previous owner did. But I do know that having to change the transmission at 50k miles is not normal on these cars. I have been driving German manuals for 20 years so I am fairly certain I didn't contribute to it.

Also, the car had dangerous over-rev codes. Unfortunately, I didn't do that check when I purchased it. Like I said, I've learned my lesson...

-T
Ok, it looks like car has been abused before you... bad luck, but now you got two options: (1) Sell it, (2) Do some maintenance to prevent costly future repairs.

You can only decide to do 1 or 2... if you wanna keep the car, follow my earlier post for what maintenance to do NOW, as Palmbeacher said, it costs $2300 or so to do clutch, IMS, RMS, Oil, and then you know that for sure you prevent the $15-20K engine failure which no one wants AND had a fresh clutch to boot... I'd say honestly anything else on the car is quite reliable and just needs regular basic maintenance and you're good to go!

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Ims issues and overrevs are not really correlated.
Abuse is when people just ride car and do not care to invest $ into required repairs.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alexb76
+1...

Ok, since you got an '05, you got the old version of IMS, and that MAY FAIL. This is pretty much the achilles heel of 997 and unfortunately you got the model year with the problem (this was fixed in 06+).

Good news? It's a *relatively easy fix* with LN Engineering bearings.

So, here's what I recommend:

- If you wanna keep the car, 100% upgrade to LN Engineering IMS, and while they're at it, get RMS replaced, and do your clutch (saves you $2-3K from future maintenance)
- Ensure you do NOT USE 0W40 oil, use Porsche approved 5W40, Motul is a good one.
- DRIVE the car regularly, and do not let it sit for a long time.
- Change the oil AT LEAST twice a year

If you did the above, I think your car will be very reliable in the long-run. Now, if you are not comfortable with above, can try to maybe sell it? but know that '05 cars are not very desirable and you may take a big hit!

Good luck.
Not sure where you got your information but it is not a given that if your car is an '05 that it has the early style bearing. Mine has the later style. I wish it was the early style so it would be serviceable-especially now that '06+ cars are starting to fail. I'd rather be able to spend $1300 every 3 years and have piece of mind.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break the car in according manufacturer's recommendation. Change the oil once a year. Use 0W40 oil (recommended by Porsche engineers not some random bloke on RL). No need to worry about the IMS. It's a rare failure.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Clutch was also changed along with the transmission around this time last year. I've always changed oil on it every ~5k miles and also did the 60k service on-time.

-T

Quick Reply: Concerned with long-term reliability of 997.1