Sponsored by:

durametric non-pro for brake bleeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default durametric non-pro for brake bleeds

for those who have 'enthusiast' durametric version - is there any way in it to open up ABS valves when you bleed your brakes?
if yes - please explain how exactly it should be done, step by step?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:01 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used this tutorial:

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/elec...functions.html

Works with the enthusiast version.

HTH,

T.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

if no one knows or chimes in, try calling durametric directly. i dont even have the tool but they have been helpful and courteous to me on more than 1 occasion on what the tools can and cant do, and enthus vs. pro.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcouture
I used this tutorial:

HTH,

T.
cool, can you tell me - do you keep engine running at steps 9 and 10 and while opening ABS valves? or is it only working with ignition on but motor not running?

ALSO - had to add this - do you just click 'start' in durametric for pump activation (i just read their caution not to run it longer than 30sec) - so, will it stop by itself when bleeding is done you do you have to click 'stop' yourself?

i am not even positive if my pedal softness is due to air in ABS circuit but will definitely try to bleed it too. what i have got now is at first pump on brake pedal when motor runs it travels way too much imho. when engine is not running it is properly firm. so it got to be something there that adds up.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I used this tutorial:

HTH,

T.
Thanks for the link. Would be nice to bleed the ABS using my durametric as well. Was just planning to flush then repeat after a week to get the ABS fluids cycled through.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM
tcouture
Instructor

Paul,

I started the engine for step 8 and left it running for the remainder of the loop, assuming it was needed for the vacuum pump and hydraulic system to work properly...

Maybe not the ideal way but it worked for me. Having said that, I can hardly say that I sounded super positive it all worked once done... It's one of these things where you have to trust the process I guess .

HTH,

T.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Emailed Durametric a few months ago and they said the Enthusiast version only does the calipers, no ABS.
Don't know if the professional versions does.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:02 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Originally Posted by sullivas
Emailed Durametric a few months ago and they said the Enthusiast version only does the calipers, no ABS.
Don't know if the professional versions does.
That is weird, I had the Enthusiast version and was able to activate the ABS secondary circuit when I flushed last year with version 6 of the software...

Could someone with the enthusiast version of the cable check to see if they have the brake bleeding options under "activations"? I just upgraded to pro to do some coding for my seats and spoiler so I cannot check it out.

Things that make you go mmmhhh,

T.

Added: Looking at my email archives, I had emailed durametric last year on March 22nd 2011 for the same thing and Owen Sutton, from Durametric Support had responded "The Enthusiast and Pro versions each support the ABS pump activations."
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Paul,

I started the engine for step 8 and left it running for the remainder of the loop, assuming it was needed for the vacuum pump and hydraulic system to work properly...

Maybe not the ideal way but it worked for me. Having said that, I can hardly say that I sounded super positive it all worked once done... It's one of these things where you have to trust the process I guess .

HTH,

T.
great, thanks for the confirmation. sorry t repeat same question - so when you hit 'start' - does it stop on its own as pump works or do you need to hit 'stop' button yourself in the durametric software?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

That is weird, I had the Enthusiast version and was able to activate the ABS secondary circuit when I flushed last year with version 6 of the software...

Could someone with the enthusiast version of the cable check to see if they have the brake bleeding options under "activations"? I just upgraded to pro to do some coding for my seats and spoiler so I cannot check it out.

Things that make you go mmmhhh,

T.

Added: Looking at my email archives, I had emailed durametric last year on March 22nd 2011 for the same thing and Owen Sutton, from Durametric Support had responded "The Enthusiast and Pro versions each support the ABS pump activations."
I'll have to email them again. I purged my email folders so don't have anything that far back. I do know I couldn't find the ABS activation feature when I had the cable plugged in, which is why I inquired. One of the reasons I bought the cable (vsn 6) was to bleed the ABS when I did brakes.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM
tcouture
Instructor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
great, thanks for the confirmation. sorry t repeat same question - so when you hit 'start' - does it stop on its own as pump works or do you need to hit 'stop' button yourself in the durametric software?
Sorry I missed the second question...

The answer is that I do not clearly remember that part, it was last August the last time I did it and I did not take note. I do remember being very stressed out about the 30 seconds and asking my wife to come and help me with that part though... Knowing me and how I trust computers, I probably clicked on stop myself anyway...

I have to do it within a couple of weeks so I'll find out and report back.

Sorry I could not give you a more definitive answer,

T.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

well, i just did whole process on my car. had engine running all time.
it worked in exact way as on the picture. cable is enthusiast version
activations are all under stability management psm tab as on the picture.
what happened was not most intuitive process but all in all you bleed far nipple first, close it, open front nipple then quickly jump to computer, press 'start' for that wheel button then 'ok' on popup window, car makes a little 'beep' and only visible ABS related effect is that it blinks with yellow 'ABS' related warning on the car`s dash.
no matter how i tried i could not hear ABS pump engaging or any noises at all from the wheel and found it a bit suspicious.
as it started raining i did not drive car again so not sure what effect whole procedure have had, if any. i watched on front wheels how it bled while 'ABS' wa blinking - there were no bubbles and no dif inthe flow. go figure. i hope their understanding of 'left' and 'right' is on par with humanity where left is the driver`s side, correct?

about 'stop' part - you do not have to press it as it apparently not even required - 'ABS' stuff blinks for may be 2-3 seconds only then all goes silent, so i pressed 'stop' after that but it had 0 effect imho.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Also to add more confusion to the process - I emailed my mechanic and he told me never press brakes pedal when you bleed with a pressure bleeder.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Follow-up on the Durametric ABS activation/bleeding.
Owen at Durametric says:
"That capability is supported. Look under Activations for the Stability Management system."

Unfortunately I didn't look under Stability Management.
My previous email to Durametric must have been confusing when I got a
"doesn't do that" answer.

Anyway I consider it a freebie at this point!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
what happened was not most intuitive process but all in all you bleed far nipple first, close it, open front nipple then quickly jump to computer, press 'start' for that wheel button then 'ok' on popup window, car makes a little 'beep' and only visible ABS related effect is that it blinks with yellow 'ABS' related warning on the car`s dash.
no matter how i tried i could not hear ABS pump engaging or any noises at all from the wheel and found it a bit suspicious.
That's an interesting comment about not hearing the ABS pump when supposedly activated by the durametric. I recently went through a similar procedure with my mechanic using his plug-in ABS activation tool and we definitely could hear the ABS pump operating as soon as we hit start (this was with my 996 ABS, no PSM).

Quick Reply: durametric non-pro for brake bleeds