master brake cylinder upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:22 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default master brake cylinder upgrade

Hi,

is there anybody here who did a master cylinder upgrade on an 'S' of base 997/996 cars?
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//SKUGT3BMC.html

my beef with stock part is that even after full clean bleed i still get softness on the pedal and i suspect that bigger displacement of GT3 cylinder may heal this issue even if its origin is somewhere else, clutch line, ABS, who knows.
but it pisses me off, frankly, and part is not extremely expensive. I just wonder if that was done before and if it requires anything special to consider.

regards,
Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Hi,

is there anybody here who did a master cylinder upgrade on an 'S' of base 997/996 cars?

my beef with stock part is that even after full clean bleed i still get softness on the pedal and i suspect that bigger displacement of GT3 cylinder may heal this issue even if its origin is somewhere else, clutch line, ABS, who knows.
but it pisses me off, frankly, and part is not extremely expensive. I just wonder if that was done before and if it requires anything special to consider.

regards,
When you bleed are you cycling the ABS pump as part of the process?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
When you bleed are you cycling the ABS pump as part of the process?
just started another thread with this question, if durametric can do it.

i had mixed results. i had complete flush done at my mechanic once with ABS pump and results were very good for 3-4 events. after another full flush pedal had some softness. i cannot track it down to what an original issue is.

so i only wonder if a bigger displacement of gt3 cylinder will mask it enough or not to become irrelevant. calipers by themselves have plenty of stopping power, i have no problem there, at second 'pump' of brakes they become solid hard too, so, issue got to be in somewhat else.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Contact ViperBob on rennlist....he has a few customers that have Carrera S car turned into race cars and he has done some different master cylinders.

However this sounds more like a feel of the pads...on my 2007 Carrera S 2009 Carrera S and my 2012 GTS the stock Porsche pads feel rock soild, higher pedal feel than new or used Pagid race pads which feel a little softer. I do have a bit better feel with the Prospeed 683 fluid when on my track pads.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

i am going to do another bleed/flush this time with ABS pump cycle, will see if it changes anything or not.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi utkinpol, did you get this issue resolved? Any benefits to the abs cycling when flushing?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:54 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Hi,

regards,
I've heard of someone swapping out the brake booster from a 987 Spyder with PCCB for the 997 GT3 unit and that they were very happy with the swap. He was disappointed with the mushy pedal and I think he mentioned that it cured his issue by about 90%. I think he also predicted that if he changed the master cylinder that it might give him that last 10%. Not sure if he ended up doing that as well.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between a GT3 brake booster and a regular Carrera but I have a few people that I could probably ask.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Hi Ryan, I actually did the swap since that time and i like it a lot - it has improved pedal feel big, big time. it was a direct swap, nothing fancy needed, i wish i did it 2 years ago.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:40 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What did it cost?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:54 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey brother what exactly did you do swap brake booster or just the mastercylinder of your car to one from a gt3?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagnusB
What did it cost?
about of $400.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Hey brother what exactly did you do swap brake booster or just the mastercylinder of your car to one from a gt3?
you just unbolt old cylinder and put in gt3 one instead, booster stays where it is. it is a direct swap, nothing else is needed. now on a track i never have to push pedal all the way to the floor.

cylinder is secured by 2 nuts - do not try to use torx bits to undo those studs! only undo those 2 big nuts that sit on those studs. brake fluid container gets simply pried up, do it before you undo those nuts, be careful not to brake off its legs but persistent , shake it around a bit helping with big flat screwdriver from below and it will pop out eventually.

after you will bolt new cylinder in double check how brake lines get in, secure them, then pop in brake fluid can, pour in brake fluid. to do a proper system flush after that you will need both power bleeder and also work on brake pedal several times to clean it up, after the moment when you brake pedal feels strong you need to get on a road and brake hard several times to make ABS work, then go back and bleed again working pedal to push any rest of air out. it all is simple enough but using power bleeder alone i could not get rid of air there, you have to work on pedal too. you may preserve old brake fluid when you do this system re-flash couple of times to save $ but at the last time when you do it - replace brake fluid with new one.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Soo you did not do the booster?

I am not in love with the soft pedal in my '05 - though bleed at next brake job would fix it. Now I wonder.

Also, did you try the extensive bleed procedure before? I am curious how much was the new mc and how much was the ultra bleed - especially with hard track use.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

what do you mean - how much was the bleed? i did this myself, only paid $400 for MC.

Quick Reply: master brake cylinder upgrade