Sponsored by:

Broke my shift cable!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Broke my shift cable!

My shift cable broke yesterday and I am stuck in second. At least I was only 3 miles from home and not stuck in Lawton or Chickasha.

Has anyone used the 996 cup cables for replacement?

Or should I just stick with the 997 version.

thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke a shift cable in my 997.1 3.6. I was at a DE and ended up stick in the 3-4 shift plane. That was perfect because 3rd was enough to get going from a stop, and 4th was enough for the highway drive home.

I've heard it's not a common occurrence.

Mine was replaced with another 997 part and not the cup part. I had not even considered the option of a cup part.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Mine broke earlier this year, stuck in 1st thankfully not reverse My extended warranty paid the $500 cost, as well as the tow. There was another broken cable thread a little while ago. So I'm not sure how uncommon it is.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

a lot of people use cup cables with metal ends, from what was told shifting unit ws apparently same for gt3 and cup cars, street cars have different gearbox obviously, so, who knows.
you better call suncoast ans ask them this question.

cup cables bring in certain (imho - significant) amount of engine noise into the cabin, be aware of that.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

what is there, an echo in here? just broke mine last week. i went with stock replacement. i too heard the cups were loud and besides, i put 45k miles and 50 track days on the old ones so it's not like this stock item will be a "regular" consumable. btw, relatively easy DIY and you save $300 in labor.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

I'm going to go with the stock replacement. I had read several of the threads of broken shift cables.

FWIW, the car has 47K with a SSK. I have only been to two autocross, no DE. If I can, I will post where the cable broke.

I am going to try and use my after market warranty, wish me luck.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:56 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
what is there, an echo in here? just broke mine last week. i went with stock replacement. i too heard the cups were loud and besides, i put 45k miles and 50 track days on the old ones so it's not like this stock item will be a "regular" consumable. btw, relatively easy DIY and you save $300 in labor.
Has anyone done a DIY write-up on this? I'm at 51K so may proactively replace the cable when I do the SSK.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Has anyone done a DIY write-up on this? I'm at 51K so may proactively replace the cable when I do the SSK.
i could not find one for the actual cable portion but the whole process is pretty intuitive:
  1. remove the 2 rear-most underbody panels
  2. remove center console (DIY on this can be found all over the place)
  3. remove hand brake - 4 bolts
  4. disconnect cables from shifter (hard to explain, but VERY easy to figure out) and from tranny (simple ball/cup attachments that can be gently pried off)
  5. now the only thing holding cables in place is the rubber grommet that passes through the body. from the interior side, push rubber grommet through to the underside of body. Note: there is another cable that runs through this grommet, but our friends in stuttgart have already helped us with this - besides the hole for the cable itself, the grommet is split along it's side so as to let this cable fit in/come out of it's seating with little effort.
  6. after that, it's just a matter of wiggling the cable assembly out from the cluttered underbody structure and piping, lubing up new grommet/cables and reversing the process.

technically, you dont even need help altho i did have a bud on hand simply to help from the interior side - guiding the new cable ends thru the hole - while i was under the car pushing them through.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Thanks Spiffyjiff. Very helpful.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
I am going to try and use my after market warranty, wish me luck.
If it's an exclusionary warranty like mine it should be no problem (even if it's a Fidelity Platinum, because you've got under 50K miles, and therefore not subject to their clause stating items that fail due to normal wear aren't covered after 50K). If you have a named-item warranty then if "shifter cables" isn't specifically listed as a covered part, you may be out of luck. If it lists "shift linkage" then it could be a matter of interpretation.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Does anyone know if this is covered by CPO? Would still be a PITA if I got stuck somewhere... Murphy's law being what it is - a snapped cable would happen somewhere remote with no p-dealer insight in reverse gear. Hmmm... is it legal to drive down the road in reverse and what is the max attainable speed. More reason to preempt this service I suppose.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

I couldn't take a pic because I didn't have my phone, but mine broke in the same place as RL member Draxa. Here is his pic

and his thread on his shift cable.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...car-broke.html

The cable broke at the attachment to the transmission (marked A on the pic), not the shifter.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by acao
I've heard it's not a common occurrence.
I stand corrected. My shift cable broke this morning. This would be the second occurrence for me. Just like last time, I was stuck in 3rd. Unlike last time, I wasn't at the track. I was on my way to work and when the cable let go, I detoured to the dealer to do the repair. Fortunately, I didn't have anything dictating when I needed to arrive at work.

So on to cable #3 for me.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

mine broke about a year ago. mine broke between shifts of first and second. luckily i was in the neighborhood, and coasted to a stop on a low traffic street.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by acao
This would be the second occurrence for me.

So on to cable #3 for me.
this is a joke, right?? who replaced the first time and was it faulty install or something? i find it ridiculous that a cable broke twice on you...or maybe one of the ends slipped out? (or did you already get it replaced and they said it was another actual cable snap...?)

Quick Reply: Broke my shift cable!