Sponsored by:

powerwash to clean wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:49 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default powerwash to clean wheels?

Just wonder about this idea as I am tired to wash off pads build up from rims. Is there any reasonably cheap powerwash machine I could use to clean off mold from the deck and also wash wheels with no fear to damage aluminum or paint?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

For the wheels any good electric power wash will do, Kranzle seems to get very good reviews.

The deck and the many other uses for a pressure washer really depends. If you have a big deck and or decide to wash the siding or driveway you may want something more powerful.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need a high volume high pressure industrial power washer for the deck. The typical gas powered washer will not get the job done. Something like 6 gal/min and at least 4000 PSI will do the trick. You'll pay a $3k for one of these industrial power washers. I have a Craftsmen gas power washer with 3000 psi and 3.3 GPM and it will not blow the fuzz off a deck or wood fence. However, it does an awesome job of washing the cars, windows, and a little bit of house exterior cleaning. You should be able to rent one of these industrial washers for less than $100/day.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
You'll need a high volume high pressure industrial power washer for the deck. The typical gas powered washer will not get the job done. Something like 6 gal/min and at least 4000 PSI will do the trick. You'll pay a $3k for one of these industrial power washers. I have a Craftsmen gas power washer with 3000 psi and 3.3 GPM and it will not blow the fuzz off a deck or wood fence. However, it does an awesome job of washing the cars, windows, and a little bit of house exterior cleaning. You should be able to rent one of these industrial washers for less than $100/day.
I agree, I have a slightly larger Craftsman that I use for the deck and siding and it gets the job done but it takes a loooooong time! The deck (trex) doesn't come completely clean. For reference you shouldn't power wash wood, it causes splintering. Scrubbing and cleaning agents with regular hose is the best method for wood.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

True that....I agree with marine Blue. There is a really good chemical deck cleaner I got from Home Depot that will do the job without the power washer. I would still pick up a Gas Power Washer. They are so handy it'll pay for itself cleaning the cars.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Try Costco, small gas Honda power washers.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WTF are you guys serious? You want t sandblast your car's finish? Just use a soft brush on the end of a 4 foot stick with a good wash/wax solution. With this setup, I don't even have to squat down to clean the wheels. Less is more.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I like to use the p-washer to clean the rotors and for the wheels. Seems to works well. Has anyone seen adversed affects? should I stop doing this? Maybe set it on gentle for the wheels?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:50 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I like to use the p-washer to clean the rotors and for the wheels. Seems to works well. Has anyone seen adversed affects? should I stop doing this? Maybe set it on gentle for the wheels?
Water gets on the engine when doing the rears and can roger things until it dries out. Low pressure on the rears. IHBD
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by San Rensho
WTF are you guys serious? You want t sandblast your car's finish? Just use a soft brush on the end of a 4 foot stick with a good wash/wax solution. With this setup, I don't even have to squat down to clean the wheels. Less is more.
+1 (well, I don't know about the brush on a 4FT. stick part but I agree not to use a PW)

No need for a PW to clean the Pcar. Just say NO!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

A delicate nozzle (not impingement) is far from sand blasting and the best way to wash your automobile. You're scraping the heck out of your car if you use a soft brush or sponge. In my opinion touchless is the only way to go.

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Touchless doesn't remove the grit and grime that accumulates on the finish of you car and with time deterioratesthe finish. A brush or wash mitt is no where near as aggressive as a clay bar, which I think you will admit is not damaging to the finish. After I wash with a brush, the paint is absolutely smooth, the same as it is after a wax or clay bar.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 PM
rjkjlk4576
Advanced

I just drive to auto car wash and pull into one of the bays to power wash my wheels every time they get real dirty. Don't wash the car there. Drive home and dry out the parts of the engine that may be wet and wash the car. $2.00 covers the cost. It takes a lot of tips to the car wash including car before you reach the cost of a power washer. Have to admit I'm thinking of buying an electric power washer for convience.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

#1 solution is to keep your wheels washed all the time.
#2 solution is to go to a car wash and soak them with the Tire Wash solution cycle, which is a foamy chemical that does a good job cleaning the brake dust on the wheels and brakes. then pressure it off.
#3 is take the wheels off and wash them with Meguaires or Eagle One or most any other mag wheel cleaner, which is a pretty strong chemical that eats the brake dust and grime pretty agressively , gloves required.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:30 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Originally Posted by okbarnett
#1 solution is to keep your wheels washed all the time.
#2 solution is to go to a car wash and soak them with the Tire Wash solution cycle, which is a foamy chemical that does a good job cleaning the brake dust on the wheels and brakes. then pressure it off.
#3 is take the wheels off and wash them with Meguaires or Eagle One or most any other mag wheel cleaner, which is a pretty strong chemical that eats the brake dust and grime pretty agressively , gloves required.
No. Car wash wheel cleaners are agressive, acid washes that will fog the clear coat on your wheels. Wash by hand with the same car wash/wax that you use for the paint work. Come on guys, this isn't rocket surgery. Just hand wash your wheels. Jeez.

Quick Reply: powerwash to clean wheels?