Sponsored by:

Alarm falsing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 AM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm falsing

My car's alarm has been going off about twice a week at all hours of the night. Never anyone around, no damage ect. I live on a very quite dead end street. I park outside under a large, now bare, oak tree. At first I thought maybe an animal trying to nest in the motor, but with this kind of regularity, I don't know. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Try double pressing the lock button. You should hear a horn beep. That will turn off the interior motion part of the system. See if that fixes the problem. You might have a issue with that part of the system.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
Try double pressing the lock button. You should hear a horn beep. That will turn off the interior motion part of the system. See if that fixes the problem. You might have a issue with that part of the system.
Double pressing the remote lock button will disable the interior motion sensor but you won't hear a horn beep unless there's a fault condition.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens occasionally on my 987. There is another thread about it here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ighlight=alarm
Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Double pressing the remote lock button will disable the interior motion sensor but you won't hear a horn beep unless there's a fault condition.
That's interesting, If I hear the horn after pushing alarm button twice there's a fault in the alarm system?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by buddy911t
That's interesting, If I hear the horn after pushing alarm button twice there's a fault in the alarm system?
If you hear two beeps with one push it indicates a fault. It's all in the manual:

Fault indication
A double horn signal during locking indicates a
defect in the central locking or alarm system.

Try locking the car with the hood open and you'll hear it.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Single press of locking button if you hear a beep you have a fault (door open, trunk, boot, glove box). Press the button twice you will hear a beep to let you know you have turned off the interior alarm.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by buddy911t
My car's alarm has been going off about twice a week at all hours of the night. Never anyone around, no damage ect. I live on a very quite dead end street. I park outside under a large, now bare, oak tree. At first I thought maybe an animal trying to nest in the motor, but with this kind of regularity, I don't know. Anyone else have this problem?
I avoid whenever possible parking my cars under trees. This of course has nothing to do with the symptom you report.

I just like to avoid the risk of bird mess, or leave/plant trash that collects on the car and which can plug up the water drains, or in the spring the rain of sap that some trees emit, and the risk of damage to the car if a limb (or worse) should come down.

Next, check carefully for any flying insects in the car. I used to leave my Boxster -- in the garage -- with the top down or with the windows cracked when parked in the sun, or leave the windows cracked in my Turbo when parked in the sun and sometimes the sun roof tilted open, but after having several episodes of small flying insects getting in the car and then often not becoming active until after I park and lock the car I never leave the top down and seldom leave the windows open when I park either car.

Lastly, check for signs of moisture/dampness in the car, the carpets on the floor, under the seats, and the carpets along the door bottoms.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by function12
Single press of locking button if you hear a beep you have a fault (door open, trunk, boot, glove box). Press the button twice you will hear a beep to let you know you have turned off the interior alarm.
Just went to the garage and tried it - no beep on second press of button that disables interior motion sensor.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Just read the newer manual and it will not beep with a double push on the locking button. It will still turn of the interior alarm and continuous illumation for approx 2 seconds.
Page 24 of the 06 manual.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
MBX5
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the very same issue. I agree with the other posters - the dealer replaced the interior motion sensor and the problem went away.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 PM
buddy911t
Pro

I made an appointment to have the alarm system checked out. I hope it's covered by CPO.

Quick Reply: Alarm falsing