Sponsored by:

Alcantara : pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CBejbl
Big fan of it on the seats. Not so much on the steering wheel. I prefer some perf leather, feels better and has better grip.
Now that was just nonsense. You can debate wear on Alcantara, but Alcantara has significantly better grip... that/s why its the bottom surface of racing gloves.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DMoore
I seem to be all alone here, but I have Alcantara in my GTS and I really like it. I live inland from LA where it gets HOT in the summer. I can't count the number of times I've singed my legs or hands when getting into the car. Alcantara doesn't get hot in the summer, and (much less of a problem here) doesn't feel cold in the winter. I've only had my car for one year (15k miles so far) but I see no detectable wear. My Panamera is full leather and, if I had my choice, it too would have an Alcantara interior.

Even when it's not hot, the seats grip better and the steering wheel feels better in my hand than a leather wheel. I have full leather in my Panny and I've had two previous 911's with leather, so I do have a basis for comparison.

YMMV.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
+1
Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

you will LOVE it on the steering wheel - my fav option on my car (but glad someone else paid for it @ $1000)

it has shown no signs of war (steering wheel or shifter) - my car is DD, MY08, though not driven as much as I'd like
Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Now that was just nonsense.

Interesting how deeply upset some people get with an opposing view. Sorry it hurt your feelings so badly.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

My friend has it on the wheel, shifter and E-brake. On top of the wear factor, I am not a fan of the appearance

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 04-05-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been almost 3 years on my GT3 -- which has Alcantara on steering wheel, seats, shift ****, hand brake lever, door handle, etc.

The Alcantara has been holding up very well, virtually no wear nor tear. All I did was to gently wipe it once a while with a clean & soft 'bath mitt' (yes, that's the trick). Super easy to maintain.

One thing I like about Alcantara is that it won't crack under dry weather nor direct Sun heat, even if I park my car outside all day during the Summer. On my other car (a Mercedes E350) with leather, I need to moisturize the leather once every while to prevent it from cracking.

And I guess, originally, one main benefit of Alcantara is its fire retardant nature. Plus other minor pros like its relatively lightweight, grippy surface, etc., etc.

I was not sure about Alcantara before I got my GT3, yet now I liked it and would order it again in my future cars.

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 04-05-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 AM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I had it in my 01S4 seats and liked it for grip and temp control but disliked how it wore over time. Don't know if the Porsche fabric is the same material. I prefer the Porsche ventilated and heated seats to the Audi alcantara.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CBejbl
Interesting how deeply upset some people get with an opposing view. Sorry it hurt your feelings so badly.
It's NOT an opposing view, opposing view is if you like black and I like silver... GRIP can actually be measured, and your statement that Alcantara has less grip is either based on your misinformation, or you were trying to misinform people and it is basically incorrect!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alcantara on the seats and seatbacks grips like nobody's business. My GTS has simply the best seats I have ever sat in. Also like it on the handbrake and door inserts. Though I probably prefer leather on the steering wheel simply because the alcantara needs cleaning more often from my grubby hands.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

It's NOT an opposing view, opposing view is if you like black and I like silver... GRIP can actually be measured, and your statement that Alcantara has less grip is either based on your misinformation, or you were trying to misinform people and it is basically incorrect!
It's interesting that we often disregard parameters. Personally, it's my experience that alcantara has great grip when new or cared for properly. It does, however, get very smooth, and decidedly less grippy, over time when exposed to sweat or natural oil secreted by your skin. So, maybe everyone is correct - depending on what the condition of the alcantara is in?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First you call what I say "nonsense". Now you claim I'm trying to "misinform" people. Just WTF is your problem?

For ME...when on the track, wearing gloves, the grip on the steering wheel is good. When on the street, with bare hands, it is not as good as perforated leather. Again, this is MY experience. Simple enough?

Any other controversial subjects you feel the need to be an ******* about? Just let me know, I'll keep to myself on those.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Seems to me they both have +s and -s and it comes down to personal preference.

I think the alacantra is cool both in look and feel. I find it very grippy. Leather is, well, leather. It's beautiful too and the seats are not as grippy which for the street is I think more livable. My GTS has full leather in all red which was an expensive option which is what I wanted. For me I love the look, feel an smell of leather. Again it's personal preference.

Quick Reply: Alcantara : pros and cons?