Sponsored by:

Engine Cleaning Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Spokane-
Look, it's your property. Do with it as you like. If you're comfortable using Simple Green, great.

But even the manufacturer has issued specific cautions. THEY claim it will remove protective coatings and will promote corrosion / oxidation.

The fact is the stuff is remarkably efficient at removing Cosmoline. Ask anybody in the gun business about that. Cosmoline is used in these cars as a protectant. No rumor, just fact. And as for long term risks, you might want to check this: http://www.mechanicsupport.com/aircraft_cleaning.html

Nobody is claiming your bike or car or tractor or helicopter is going to disintegrate before your eyes.
What Simple Green does is well documented.
It works both as advertised AND as cautioned.

If that means it works for you, great.
For me, I make a different choice.

Last edited by RennlistTomE; 03-25-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Huge generalization. Where is your proof?

Simple Green is:

Non-toxic and biodegradable
Non-hazardous
Non-flammable
Non-corrosive
Non-abrasive
Economical Concentrate

Read for yourself if you don't believe me.

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...er_cleanup.php
Several years ago I used Simple Green to clean the wheel wells of my 500E (MB). The only other product I used was Griots Undercarriage spray. About 1.5 years after using it I noticed that the suspension bushings had dried out and cracked. They weren't damaged prior to the cleaning. What I saw with the aluminum was increased oxidation on the unprotected surfaces. It was minor but again it did impact the appearance which tells me it does attack it.

Here is a quote from the Simple Green website, it looks like they make another product specifically for Airplanes and Automobiles that prevents damage to rubber and aluminum:
Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.
I guess everyone's experience is different, your motocross bike looks great and it doesn't appear to have any damage on the aluminum.

I also agree that biodegradable is the way to go, P21S TAW is a citrus based product.

Personally I limit the chemicals I use on my cars unless it's a DD that I will only keep for a short time. I started this approach about 5 years ago when I purchased my 1990 928 GT.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by nkelley
Sounds like BS to me! Or I should say Porsche is trying to protect themselves. Cleaning the engine compartment with a safe approved cleaner is not going to compromise the integrity of the engine or compartment. NK
Not BS. The engine is located in a particularly dirty place and gets splashed something fierce. Corrosion of the engine and other hardware on/in/about the engine can occur. Now the block won't corrode through but if the engine ever needs some wrenching one or more of those fasteners or other hardware can really cause one grief when they snap.

The only time I washed my Boxster's engine -- to remove some oil from a failed AOS -- a few days later the spoiler acted up. That was the first and last time I ever washed my Porsche engines.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have found that Griots engine cleaner does the trick. It is an orange based cleaner. Much safer so why take the risk with simple green.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Menmojo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used simple green for years....motorcycles and Porsche's etc...
Use it on a cold engine...spray it with water first...then spray with simple green..leave it on for a few minutes and wash it off..never had issues at all.
It's great stuff and works well.
You guys are way too picky...it's no big deal
Old 03-26-2012, 01:07 AM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im impressed simple green has such ardent loyalists. If a product warns against use on aluminum, and it costs me so little to switch to alternatives, it just seems like old fashioned stubbornness to stick with it.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

I have always usesd P21s TAW with great success. Its safe for aluminum, steel, plastic, rubber and electrical components.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drive your Porsche in the winter in Chicago....the salt is your enemy not any engine cleaners.

I do use Simple Green on my Helicopter and I also mix it in my Vodka. The stuff is the best ever and Jesus would use Simple Green if he had the chance.

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
Spokane-
Look, it's your property. Do with it as you like. If you're comfortable using Simple Green, great.

But even the manufacturer has issued specific cautions. THEY claim it will remove protective coatings and will promote corrosion / oxidation.

The fact is the stuff is remarkably efficient at removing Cosmoline. Ask anybody in the gun business about that. Cosmoline is used in these cars as a protectant. No rumor, just fact. And as for long term risks, you might want to check this: http://www.mechanicsupport.com/aircraft_cleaning.html

Nobody is claiming your bike or car or tractor or helicopter is going to disintegrate before your eyes.
What Simple Green does is well documented.
It works both as advertised AND as cautioned.

If that means it works for you, great.
For me, I make a different choice.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

If you drive your Porsche in the winter in Chicago....the salt is your enemy not any engine cleaners.
Fair point. Well made too.
So let me see if I've got this right -

Salt = Proven bad when it gets on your car.
Therefore...(and this one's a stretch)...
Suggestion: Keep salt off your car whenever possible.
So it naturally follows >
Simple Green = Proven bad when it gets on your car.
Suggestion: Use it to CLEAN your car whenever you want.

OK. Got it.

BTW Theres some guy named 'Rick S' from the SimpleTruth Forum who apparently has Jesus' cell number. And he told everybody that Jesus told him he only wanted to use Simple Green on the hot cheese log in the cafeteria. Unfortunately he found out it contributes to Hartmann's Palsey, formerly known as Strassmann's Syndrome, the only cure for which is death, so he didn't do it.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I think your buddy with the Cheese Log must be from Wisconsin. You know what the cheese heads say about folks from Chicago....right? FIB

Since I lived in Chicago for 10 Years I know those guys can be a mean bunch. Simple Green on a Cheese Log.

I feel bad for your forum buddy. Perhaps a simple Remedy = Simple Green 1/2 Teaspoon every 4-hours.

Since you are afraid to use the Simple Green on your airplane I took the liberty and researched the following: (Be sure to put a nice coat of wax on after your done cleaning.)

Aircraft Cleaning — Is Simple Green® safe for cleaning aircraft?
Simple Green manufactures a product specifically designed for use on aircraft — Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner. This product was initially developed for use in the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows it to be safe for use on aluminum, plastics, rubber, and high tech alloys, in both normal and extreme temperatures and stress conditions. Extreme Simple Green passed a variety of aircraft industry tests. Testing has been performed by Scientific Materials International, Inc. and is available upon request.

Alkaline Aqueous Solution — What is an alkaline aqueous solution?
Alkaline aqueous solutions are water-based mixtures with a pH greater than 7. Most of these types of cleaners range from a pH of 10 to 14. Simple Green® is a water-based cleaner with a pH of 9.3 to 9.5. Alkaline aqueous solutions are the most common solutions in water based cleaning. These often contain additives to improve cleaning, such as sequestering agents, emulsifiers and surfactants. Corrosion inhibitors may be necessary with some metals, especially aluminum.

Alkaline aqueous solutions remove grease, coolants, cutting oils, shop dirt, fingerprints, cosmoline, petrolatum and some water-soluble paints. They are also used with all types of liquid processes, e.g., sprays, ultrasonic, immersion and power washers. These solutions can clean to very high levels, with good filtration and rinsing. Cost per gallon is generally less than for semi-aqueous cleaners.

One should never assume that aqueous solutions can be disposed of down the drain. Your local water treatment authority or publicly owned treatment works (POTW) will have information on treatment and disposal of these cleaners. Adjustment of pH and dilution are usually required before disposal to a drain.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
Fair point. Well made too.
So let me see if I've got this right -

Salt = Proven bad when it gets on your car.
Therefore...(and this one's a stretch)...
Suggestion: Keep salt off your car whenever possible.
So it naturally follows >
Simple Green = Proven bad when it gets on your car.
Suggestion: Use it to CLEAN your car whenever you want.

OK. Got it.

BTW Theres some guy named 'Rick S' from the SimpleTruth Forum who apparently has Jesus' cell number. And he told everybody that Jesus told him he only wanted to use Simple Green on the hot cheese log in the cafeteria. Unfortunately he found out it contributes to Hartmann's Palsey, formerly known as Strassmann's Syndrome, the only cure for which is death, so he didn't do it.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

This M96 engine case with 86K miles cleaned with Original Simple Green. If left in the half water solution over 30 minutes the aluminum starts to turn grey.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Looks fantastic. What type of protection do you apply after? I lightly spray my motor and pipe on my motorcycle with WD-40.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 AM
deijmaster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
Unless someone's backing up their claims with financial coverage, I'd just play it safe and not even mess with introducing cleaning agents into the engine bay or minimize it. Damp rag and vacuum/blower sounds like a smart, rational method?
+1
Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Great pics. So, I'm sold. Convinced 100%.

Even though it seems like a lot of work just to turn your engine block grey, having a grey engine block is even more awesome than a whole lifetime supply of Three Wolves Moon tshirts.

So I swear the next time I want to turn my engine block grey, I'm going to use Simple Green. Aqueous solution too! I swear.
I'm giving up my former engine-greying mixture, a 50/50 blend of 40 Mule Team Borax and Pixie Leet's Chicken Whitenin'. I'm not even sure that's aqueous anyhow.
Plus the Simple Green produces a grey that's the perfect contrast for my GT Silver.
Double the awesomeness!

My cousin Stuckey will be jealous as hell. Stock color engine block on a GT3 RS, what a chump.

BTW, what's up at Simple Green anyhow? Who would make two different products that are specifically designed for and tested on aluminum, when the regular stuff is just so great? Probably some corporate weenies trying to horn in on the glory of the original formula.

Plus with skilled labor so cheap, getting guys to make sure that the rivets, connectors, wiring harnesses, bolts, clamps, fasteners, etc are completely rinsed, dried, and then lovingly re-sealed with the appropriate grade of wax or Cosmoline is a piece of cake. Who even thinks about inventing such unnecessary nonsense as Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision Cleaner? Besides, have you looked at the number of rivets on planes today? There are PLENTY. Just like those pesky wiring boots in the engine compartment of your car. If a few give way because they got corroded, who cares. There are plenty more.

I'm off for a traditional southern Simple Green and Branch with lunch.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks fantastic. What type of protection do you apply after? I lightly spray my motor and pipe on my motorcycle with WD-40.
Nothing, I just don't drive in snow, ice or offroad.

Quick Reply: Engine Cleaning Advice