Sponsored by:

DIY Mod: IPD Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default DIY Mod: IPD Plenum

I installed an IPD Plenum this weekend on my '08 C2S with 50k miles. I'd consider it a level 4 out of 10 level DIY project. Here are some instructions which may help others considering the same mod. As this is a fairly simple install there were no instructions provided. I have pics as well but ran over my upload quota so I'll reference the following PET and by specific pages within it:
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...SA_KATALOG.pdf

Installation Instructions:
1. Remove the airbox and MAF... held to the throttle body via a hose clamp. PET page# 39.
Name:  P1010977.JPG
Views: 13743
Size:  161.6 KBName:  P1010979.JPG
Views: 9187
Size:  170.3 KB
2. Remove throttle body... held in place by 4 torx screws(req'd 58 in/lbs to loosen so use about the same to tighten the new Plenum on during installation). PET page# 41
Name:  P1010981.JPG
Views: 14969
Size:  158.8 KB
3. Remove the small support bracket... this helps support the throttle body from touching the engine block. Note the support bracket is screwed into the engine block with a rubber mounting screw(looks like two flat headed machine screws glued to a rubber plug in between them). I had to replace my rubber mounting screw as the rubber had deteriorated to the point of splitting in half. I also had to add a few washers for fitment purposes. PET page# 41
Name:  P1020010.JPG
Views: 9018
Size:  150.2 KB
4. Remove the stock plenum(distributor tube)... I pushed the rubber sleeve towards the intake manifold as far as possible then pulled the stock plenum out. It helps to pull it out at an angle as the fit is tight. PET page# 43.
5. Reserve the process to install the IPD Plenum. Note: I lined the Plenum's rubber gasket with some silicon grease before installing the throttle body back on it.
Name:  P1020012.JPG
Views: 10685
Size:  164.8 KBName:  P1010999.JPG
Views: 15993
Size:  167.2 KB
6. Optional step: while you have the airbox out this is a good time to open it up and replace the air filter. In my case, I recharged the K&N air filter. I also cleaned the carbon off the throttle body.

Obvservations:1. design improvement - it's hard to imagine how any single part could improve an already excellent and well tuned car such as the Carrera but when you compare the stock plenum and the IPD plenum... I can understand why Porsche calls it distributor tube vs. a plenum. The distributor tube is basically a straight t-intersection design whereas the IPD Plenum has a tipped shape spade area at the center which diverts/splits the incoming air into both left and right air intakes evenly. Once you see the two products side by side it's quite evident how the IPD design might improve air movement. This is where a pic would be far better than my description.
Name:  P1010991.JPG
Views: 10466
Size:  174.2 KB
2. aesthetics - the IPD Plenum is made of cast aluminum. Wow and awe... very nice compared to the black plastic Porsche distributor tube. Even better when mated between the twin aluminum Porsche engraved air intakes... it all just looks right... complete somehow. It's too bad the engine compartment is not more visible for all to see from the outside.
Name:  P1020012.JPG
Views: 10685
Size:  164.8 KB
3. performance gains - supposedly HP Gains 28 / Torque Gains 26 for the 997.1S... I had hoped to dyno my car before installing it to get an objective baseline for a comparison but the weather has been too warm lately to get a good dyno run. We're already in the 80's here. So not sure what the true HP gains are but the perceived gains are real enough for me. If anything it just feels more responsive... RPM's seem to crank up quicker... according to my "butt dyno."
4. ECU - no change required as the factory ECU/DME will make all the necessary "adaptive changes" to accommodate the additional air flow provided by the IPD Plenum. The mass air system constantly adapts for changes in the inlet tract. The plenum will not cause any calibration issues nor will it cause any CEL provided the Plenum is installed properly
5. warranty - I wanted a perf mod which would not affect my factory warranty nor my CPO. It's comforting that IPD Plenums are sold/recommended by p-dealers and IPD has not had a warranty issues with Porsche.
6. customer service - I bought the Plenum directly from Craig at Rennstore per this posting last month: https://rennlist.com/forums/9317002-post1.html
Craig was very responsive and factual towards my numerous queries. Excellent service making this a no brainer perf mod.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 03-20-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM
BC-997
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I NEED to see A DYNO by a user, before I could believe in any gains this may produce.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:10 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I would like to thank USMC_DS1 for all his informative DIY posts. I appreciate your write-ups for all us DIYer's.

Alex,

I would also like to see an independent dyno to validate the HP/Torque gain claim -- but worst case IPD has a 30 day 100% satisfaction guarantee or money back. Maybe we can bribe a fellow Rennlister to test one for us and send it back if the result is not satisfactory
Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 PM
elliot_holeer
AutoX

Great post and write up - Provided Rennstore ship to UK, I'll be getting one ASAP for my 997 Carrera.

The URL for the PET pdf in your post doesnt work, could you repost? I suspect I will also need the rubber mountings and washers mentioned, and could do with the part numbers.

Thanks for write up :-)
Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

28bhp my ***.

I'd love to see the dyno graph on that.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:33 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

If you have a high flow exhaust system (200 cell cats, etc), then you may want to consider waiting for the new IPD 82mm 'competition' plenum and 82mm GT3 throttle body for the 997.1. According to Greg Martin at IPD, the new package will be available next week. I'm guessing that the package price will be the same as the 82mm IPD set for the Cayman ($1220 direct from IPD).

I'm 'on the fence'. I'd like to see independent dyno runs for the new package before placing an order.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

28 additional ponies for less than a 1K buck is a pretty good deal. I'd have to see more data than a 'butt dyno' to throw money towards an IPD plenum.

DIY write up and pics were excellent.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Fellow DIYer's... I just reposted the URL for the PET. Hope it works properly this time. The p/n for the 997.1S rubber mount for my car is 999 703 349 00 but download the PET to insure you have the right part for your particular model Carrera. Here's the link to all the PET's at Porsche: http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/

Re the dyno... you can always bribe me with cuban cigars and beer... But I've done enough of these when my boys and I installed our last forced induction/supercharger on my old m3 to know that air density/cold air makes a difference so I'll hold off until the weather cools down again. BTW, I have no affliliation with IPD... in fact, this is my 1st product from them. Looked kinda common sense from the airflow work I did as a Mech Engr in a prior life. But perf gains are typically a progressive series of mods which get you to a certain level of performance expectations. The truth is usually somewhere in between. For me this Plenum is just one simple/easy to do step in a series of mods… My next mods will likely include 200 cats and ECU reprogram(Softtronics?) when the warranty and CPO dries up. Forced induction may be in order down the road but I'm just enjoying the ride with a few mods to keep me pre-occupied for now.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Gino230
Advanced

Does anyone have any real world (dyno) experience with this thing? I find it hard to believe you can bolt on one part and achieve near GT3 HP.....
Old 09-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice write up. My question would be; what's the trade-off? I mean, if there's no major downside to this mod in terms of efficiency, reliability, narrowing of the torque band, etc., why would Porsche leave 28hp and 26lb/ft of torque on the table for less than $1K? We're talking about more HP and torque than you get from a full Powerkit. I hate to be negative, but the HP claim by the manufacturer just doesn't seem reasonable, or even close to being reasonable. And once the seller of a product starts making up stuff...... I do admit that it's nicer looking than the stock piece.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

that does have the ring of the 'to good to be...' saying, anyway, would this do anything for an X-51 car? or am i already running some upgraded intake stuff, think i am,
Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

All very good questions... in my case I'm too far down the road to validate the specifics of just the IPD mod. Cooler weather is around the corner so I'll dyno the car soon but it will include the total of a complete FVD 70mm exhaust system(long pipe headers, 200 cell cats, muffler, tips) and ECU remap mods. Hoping to see 20-25hp+...
Old 09-12-2012, 01:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

This IDP Plenum mod has been debated to death with no real world proof that I've seen. However you have to think of mods as a package and not that 1 mod will change the world for your car other than track time.

Only way to get more power is more air into the engine, more gas into the engine and more air out of the engine. Your intake and exhaust valves and cam will only allow so much along with ecu program. Without forced air induction you're not going to gain much with the engine in stock form. If you want the car to rev faster then put a lightweight fly wheel on it.
The following users liked this post:
Ellalandon2$ (01-30-2022)
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
This IDP Plenum mod has been debated to death with no real world proof that I've seen. However you have to think of mods as a package and not that 1 mod will change the world for your car other than track time.

Only way to get more power is more air into the engine, more gas into the engine and more air out of the engine. Your intake and exhaust valves and cam will only allow so much along with ecu program. Without forced air induction you're not going to gain much with the engine in stock form. If you want the car to rev faster then put a lightweight fly wheel on it.
Excellent points, Mike, including that mods are typically part of a package. It's just that this particular single mod is being advertised as providing these horsepower and torque gains all by itself, if I understand the claims correctly, which is unbelieveable to me.

Quick Reply: DIY Mod: IPD Plenum