Shortshifter and LSD as options on 997.1 TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shortshifter and LSD as options on 997.1 TT

Hello, everyone

I am looking for a 997.1TT, manual, and sometimes I see that some cars have a shortshifter and/or LSD installed from factory.

I do not do any track, just use cars as daily drivers all year round and sometimes go for spirited driving in the mountains.
Therefore I wonder if these options are critical when buying a 997TT.

Is LSD important at all and what advantage does it bring?

Is the gearshirft without shortshifter much longer and looser or is it still perfectly ok not to have a shortshifter?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I recently added the OEM short shifter to the CPO 2010 C2S I purchased about six months ago. I LOVE it. Tighter, shorter shifts. What's not to like?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

It is not the question of liking, it is just that some interesting cars do not have these options (most often they do not have the diff, but sometimes also the factory-installed shortshifter is missing) so I wonder if that should be a deal-breaker for a guy who loves manual transmission and likes spirited driving in the mountains.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

My plan is to get both when I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 997.2 S.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

I found the standard shift great, no slop. Unless you've tried the short shift you'll be happy with it. I fitted one and would not go back.

Don't write off a car just because it doesn't have a short shift kit. You can buy one later about $430 USD and it's a relatively easy swap and is also reversible. You replace the entire gear lever end of things under the rear center console not the linkages on the gearbox.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I found the standard shift great, no slop. Unless you've tried the short shift you'll be happy with it. I fitted one and would not go back.

Don't write off a car just because it doesn't have a short shift kit. You can buy one later about $430 USD and it's a relatively easy swap and is also reversible. You replace the entire gear lever end of things under the rear center console not the linkages on the gearbox.
Totally concur about the Sport Shifter. Have had the standard and the Sport and while the standard is perfectly fine, once I used the Sport Shifter it was an aha moment (as in this is what a sports car can shift like). But if I were in the market for a new car, one w/o a Sport Shifter would not be deal breaker. There have been comments that the less expensive aftermarket B&M Sport Shifter is good, but not quite as good as OEM. I have no experience with the B&M but you can do a search and find the threads on OEM vs. B&M.

The LSD option is another story. Quite some time ago I believe it was RonCT who did a nice write up on LSD. If I recall correctly, and someone please correct me if I don't, the gist of his post was that they do wear out and the efficacy of an LSD is debatable, particularly if you track the car. I've had cars with and without LSD and I honestly can't tell the difference but that's probably because I'm not a good enough driver. (My current car has it b/c I wanted Sports Suspension and it was basically a no cost add on. - imagine that, Porsche and a no cost add on - that can't be right.) For me, I wouldn't really care if I had it or not, and I do track my car a few times a year. Better drivers may feel differently.

Quick Reply: Shortshifter and LSD as options on 997.1 TT