Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Coolant Flush Procedure ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
nkelley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Coolant Flush Procedure ???

Does anyone know how often they should change there radiator fluid?

What's the easiest procedure? Thx NK
Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 PM
gla
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on who you ask....from never to every couple three years. Google "Pedros Garage"...it is a Boxster site with really well done do it yourself step by step procedures with pictures. There is a great how to radiator fluid change. Also check out the technical reports on the sites. Very good information on many of the questions discussed on this site. Check out the technical reports on various things such as brakes, tires, etc. Great reading.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 PM
nkelley
Instructor

gla thx. bye the way love the 911S in white. it's exactly what i was looking for when i set out to buy my first 911. ended up buying a 2006 911S in silver!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

From Pedro's Garage site:

"Although Porsche claims that the coolant in our cars is a lifetime coolant, many people feel that they need to replace it as a preventive measure, especially when the vehicle has high miles, or if work needs to be done such as adding a third radiator, replacing a coolant hose, replacing the thermostat, replacing the water pump, etc.

I was personally testing the lifetime theory, but after 190,000 miles, I also decided to flush it. Let it be known that the coolant I collected looked surprisingly clean and clear, even after 12 years and approaching 200,000 tough miles."

I think we can safely assume that you do not need to flush frequently. Maybe every 10 years!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
From Pedro's Garage site:

"Although Porsche claims that the coolant in our cars is a lifetime coolant, many people feel that they need to replace it as a preventive measure, especially when the vehicle has high miles, or if work needs to be done such as adding a third radiator, replacing a coolant hose, replacing the thermostat, replacing the water pump, etc.

I was personally testing the lifetime theory, but after 190,000 miles, I also decided to flush it. Let it be known that the coolant I collected looked surprisingly clean and clear, even after 12 years and approaching 200,000 tough miles."

I think we can safely assume that you do not need to flush frequently. Maybe every 10 years!!!
What is important is the ph of the coolant, and the freezing protection. While the liquid looks just fine, it may be acidic because its anti-corrosion additive package has been depleted.

This can be tested with test strips. I've never used any preferring to just change the stuff every 4 to 5 years, but if one's interested... here's the linky:

http://www.cooltrak.com/

I do not have the time to repost some pics I took of a 996 engine torn down (it was in for a bad IMS bearing), but the walls of the oil sump (the engine had been cleaned at this point) had a healthy looking finish. Pics from the head side of the block, which showed the area the coolant circulates around the cylinder walls, showed a very sickly finish, one that looked like acid had been flowing through the cooling system passages.

The engine had around 20K miles on it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:56 PM
nkelley
Instructor

Awesome! Just wanted to make sure! Thx for the info. NK

Quick Reply: Radiator Coolant Flush Procedure ???