Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip (Colo. Springs to Phoenix) - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012 | 04:38 AM
paddyh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
Red carrera and paddyh - are either of you doing DE at PPIR in mid-April?
Afraid not. I will be out of the country.
Old 03-15-2012 | 01:45 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

If you are going to Tarbell's...Scotch Beef on the menu is awesome, frankly everything is good. Was also voted best in Phoenix for eating at the bar. You will need to make a reservation.

anecdote off topic - when I was there last year, I stopped at the Safeway grocery located nearby - Bugatti Veyron parked by the deli entrance!
Old 03-18-2012 | 09:06 PM
paddyh
Rennlist Member

My little brother is flying in from NC Wednesday 3/21. We are leaving Monument Thursday morning and plan on arriving in Phoenix late Thursday.

Should I take 25 South through Santa Fe to Albuquerque, then 40 West to PHX? Or US 160 West through Durango and the southern CO mountains? Thoughts on the route(s)? Any must-see places/things along the way?

We have golf lined up at TPC Scottsdale on Friday, then Lookout Mountain on Saturday, before leaving Sunday morning to get back to CO.

Pizza Bianco is on tap for either Friday or Saturday night - need another restaurant for the other night - suggestions please.

Steve
Steve, hope the weather on the return trip didn't cause too much of an issue.

(CNN) -- A winter storm packing heavy snow and gusty winds forced authorities to close 180 miles of Interstate 40 in northern Arizona on Sunday until further notice.
The road was closed in both directions about 6:30 a.m. (9:30 a.m. ET), said David Beck, dispatch supervisor for the Flagstaff office of the Arizona Highway Patrol. The closure stretched roughly from Kingman in western Arizona to eastward to Winslow, including the city of Flagstaff, he said.
Portions of Interstate 17 south of Flagstaff were also closed, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation's website, as were several state roads.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/18/us/win...html?hpt=hp_t3
Old 03-19-2012 | 01:29 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

You are off by a week paddyh. I leave for Phoenix this Thursday. The cold rolled into CO today and should be gone by the time we leave.

Originally Posted by paddyh
My little brother is flying in from NC Wednesday 3/21. We are leaving Monument Thursday morning and plan on arriving in Phoenix late Thursday.

Should I take 25 South through Santa Fe to Albuquerque, then 40 West to PHX? Or US 160 West through Durango and the southern CO mountains? Thoughts on the route(s)? Any must-see places/things along the way?

We have golf lined up at TPC Scottsdale on Friday, then Lookout Mountain on Saturday, before leaving Sunday morning to get back to CO.

Pizza Bianco is on tap for either Friday or Saturday night - need another restaurant for the other night - suggestions please.

Steve
Steve, hope the weather on the return trip didn't cause too much of an issue.

(CNN) -- A winter storm packing heavy snow and gusty winds forced authorities to close 180 miles of Interstate 40 in northern Arizona on Sunday until further notice.
The road was closed in both directions about 6:30 a.m. (9:30 a.m. ET), said David Beck, dispatch supervisor for the Flagstaff office of the Arizona Highway Patrol. The closure stretched roughly from Kingman in western Arizona to eastward to Winslow, including the city of Flagstaff, he said.
Portions of Interstate 17 south of Flagstaff were also closed, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation's website, as were several state roads.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/18/us/win...html?hpt=hp_t3
Old 03-19-2012 | 03:43 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

PHX - what type of work do you do that gives you clients in Monument? That's where I live - small town.
Sorry I missed the travel date, too. Cold front moving through AZ right now (cold for us, anyway). Should be all warmed up by the time you head this way.

Customer is a large medical implant manufacturer - Synthes.
Maybe the largest employer in the booming metropolis of Monument?

Beautiful town you live in, and a quaint downtown.

Last year in May I visited there, and got caught in a blizzard! Last week was mid-60's while I was there, though. Nice!
Have a safe trip!
Old 03-19-2012 | 05:24 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

I saw the Flagstaff saw 10 inches of snow this weekend. You're right that the weather looks good for later this week. I'm ready.

Small towns are great. Other than going to my office on the north end of the Springs, I rarely venture into Colo Springs - have everything I need in Monument. I had no idea that Synthes existed - funny how that works.

Next time you're out this way, hit me up and we can grab a beer at our new brewery.

Steve

Originally Posted by PHX 911
Sorry I missed the travel date, too. Cold front moving through AZ right now (cold for us, anyway). Should be all warmed up by the time you head this way.

Customer is a large medical implant manufacturer - Synthes.
Maybe the largest employer in the booming metropolis of Monument?

Beautiful town you live in, and a quaint downtown.

Last year in May I visited there, and got caught in a blizzard! Last week was mid-60's while I was there, though. Nice!
Have a safe trip!
Old 03-19-2012 | 05:52 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

I saw the Flagstaff saw 10 inches of snow this weekend. You're right that the weather looks good for later this week. I'm ready.

Small towns are great. Other than going to my office on the north end of the Springs, I rarely venture into Colo Springs - have everything I need in Monument. I had no idea that Synthes existed - funny how that works.

Next time you're out this way, hit me up and we can grab a beer at our new brewery.

Steve
Thanks for the invite!
Actually, I'm a Carolina's man, myself. Grew up in "Little" Washington, ECU graduate (late 70's, when Pat Dye was our fottball coach), and lived in Columbia, SC for 10 years prior to moving to PHX.
I'll be back there in 5 years or so, when I retire.
I know where yonder is, and how many folks is in y'all...
Old 03-19-2012 | 07:52 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

I grew up in Winston-Salem, 4 years in Jacksonville/LeJeune while in the Corps, then Chapel Hill for school. I don't know if I will ever move back, mostly because my family is now so spread out, but I do miss it sometimes. Main negative with Colorado is finding good BBQ and grits.

Originally Posted by PHX 911
Thanks for the invite!
Actually, I'm a Carolina's man, myself. Grew up in "Little" Washington, ECU graduate (late 70's, when Pat Dye was our fottball coach), and lived in Columbia, SC for 10 years prior to moving to PHX.
I'll be back there in 5 years or so, when I retire.
I know where yonder is, and how many folks is in y'all...
Old 03-20-2012 | 03:44 AM
paddyh
Rennlist Member

I grew up in Winston-Salem, 4 years in Jacksonville/LeJeune while in the Corps, then Chapel Hill for school. I don't know if I will ever move back, mostly because my family is now so spread out, but I do miss it sometimes. Main negative with Colorado is finding good BBQ and grits.
But the roads - oh the roads - make up for all that.
Old 03-20-2012 | 07:38 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

You can't find "good" BBQ in the Carolinas either, since it is pork soaked in vinegar. You have to go to Texas for real BBQ!
Old 03-20-2012 | 10:58 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Them is fighting words.

Originally Posted by gota911
You can't find "good" BBQ in the Carolinas either, since it is pork soaked in vinegar. You have to go to Texas for real BBQ!
Old 03-21-2012 | 08:33 AM
Michael T
Pro

If you go via I40 thru Flagstaff, definitely go thru Sedona into Phoenix. The segment between Flagstaff and Sedona is my favorite road, decreasing radius corners, big elevation drop, some great straights in the woods.
Old 03-21-2012 | 01:18 PM
PHX 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael T
If you go via I40 thru Flagstaff, definitely go thru Sedona into Phoenix. The segment between Flagstaff and Sedona is my favorite road, decreasing radius corners, big elevation drop, some great straights in the woods.
If you end up going through Sedona, take Hwy. 89/89A headed towards Prescott. You'll go through the town of Jerome, which is at the top of Mingus Mountain. There are at least 50 switchbacks going up and coming down the other side of Mingus. Beautiful scenery, and a blast to drive.
Old 03-21-2012 | 01:44 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

All of the poor weather has passed. With rare exception everything is dry and reasonably warm. We have decided to take 160 across southern CO - through Wolf Creek Pass, Pagosa Springs, Durango - and into AZ.
Continue on 160 through Flagstaff, then into Sedona. If we leaver early enough tomorrow I should have time to take 89/89A (sounds like fun).
I have the HD GoPro mounted so post-trip I will report back with pics/videos and trip report.
Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
Steve
Old 03-21-2012 | 11:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Them is fighting words.
Hee hee!

Quick Reply: Road Trip (Colo. Springs to Phoenix) - suggestions?