Sponsored by:

was just rereading old posts about oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default was just rereading old posts about oil

from 996tt forum, many use the diesel grade oils for extra zinc(?) protection for those noisy tt bearings... has anyone here tried this or can you tell me would this be ok oil for use in the 3.8? or ... i am using castrol 5w40 i think its the 'edge'?stuff, thoughts
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My not so humble opinion. Deisel grade oils, while they have a lot of anti wear additives, zinc and phosphorus, also have very high levels of detergents, which according to what I've read, can cause premature wear in high strung, high revving engines.

I would stick with a good quality gas engine oil.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:58 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to LN engineering "What motor oil should I use". I can't put up the link Doh.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

There is another way to go here but it is sure to rile folks up and I don't want to deal with it. Check out Militec 1's automotive web site carefully. I swear by it. Yes it's an additive. Nuff sed.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LN recommends Castrol Edge 5w-40, I've been running it for 2 years no probs, Blackstone said it held up excellent when I sent in used samples. Castrol has a new formula now it's now called Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology and another called Castrol Edge with Titanium Technology. I think the Syntec is A40 approved for Porsche but check first. Should be printed on the bottle.
Diesel olis are OK to break in a Gas engine (especially flat tappet ones) for the first couple hundred miles or so but wouldn't run it continuously.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Menmojo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Royal Purple 5w-40. If you check into it you'll find out it top notch.
I was turned on to it by a friend of mine who owns and runs www.perfectpowerinc a local high performance Porsche shop. He uses it in all the Porsche's he services street or track.
Is anyone else here using it?..
Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

On the Bob the Oil Guy site one of the things noted for raising the zinc/phos levels was the addition of a couple of quarts of Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil when changing your oil.

Looking at the 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 0W-40 properties it seemed like a reasonable suggestion. If you car is still under factory warranty you might want to stick with a factory approved oil. During my first oil change on my GTS the tech asked if I wanted an oil sample. He then produced a bottle and told me it was the size bottle they used when a sample was required by PCNA. He said they never received a copy of any of the data from those tests. It was interesting that PCNA asks for oil samples.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
On the Bob the Oil Guy site one of the things noted for raising the zinc/phos levels was the addition of a couple of quarts of Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil when changing your oil.

Looking at the 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 0W-40 properties it seemed like a reasonable suggestion. If you car is still under factory warranty you might want to stick with a factory approved oil. During my first oil change on my GTS the tech asked if I wanted an oil sample. He then produced a bottle and told me it was the size bottle they used when a sample was required by PCNA. He said they never received a copy of any of the data from those tests. It was interesting that PCNA asks for oil samples.
My info is PCNA asks for (I think PCNA requires it... it part of the warranty procedure) for a sample of oil which is sent directly to a lab PCNA uses. The oil sample is required if the engine is in with internal issues and is under warranty, new, replacement/remanufactured.

It makes sense that PCNA wouldn't share this data with techs, senior techs, even service managers. It has to be considered company confidential for obvious reasons.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

Makes sense Macster.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by kkswow12
from 996tt forum, many use the diesel grade oils for extra zinc(?) protection for those noisy tt bearings... has anyone here tried this or can you tell me would this be ok oil for use in the 3.8? or ... i am using castrol 5w40 i think its the 'edge'?stuff, thoughts
Last time I checked no 'diesel' oil was approved for any of Porsche's vehicles. (For its diesel engines IIRC Porsche recommends Mobil 1 5w-30 oil.)

There are plenty of superior oils on the approved list to choose from.

I do not want to get into a big oil debate, but on this subject of extra zinc I do not see any evidence Porsche engines are showing signs of excessive wear and need extra protection with zinc or any other anti-wear additive.

Given the number of these cars on the road, the miles they are driven, the conditions under which they are driven, I would think we'd see the roadsides littered with broken down Porsches.

Hasn't happened.

Since Jan 02, I've covered 252K miles in my Boxster, 120K miles in my Golf, nearly 40K miles in my GTO, 2K miles in my Cayman S, and over 78K miles in my Turbo, and who knows how many miles in rental cars, for a rough total of 492K miles.

During this time I have spotted uncounted modern (and not a few older) Porsches and I have seen just one Boxster on the side of the road. Dead battery. (I followed the tow truck to the dealer and spoke with the owner of the car.)

(A few years ago, east bound on the San Mateo Bridge I came upon a 356 with a horribly wobbling left rear wheel and signal this to the driver but he signaled back he knew and wanted to continue on.)

Now if there were a weakness... I think we'd know.

For example: Back on July 3rd in '09 -- I remember this because this drive terminated with my 03 Turbo smacking a mule deer on 50 in NV outside of Ely -- on a drive up 50 highway from Sacramento to S. Lake Tahoe I spotted a number of cars on the shoulder of the road mainly there due to overheating -- the signs the cars were suffering from overheating were quite obvious -- overheating due to the heavy stop/go traffic, high ambient temps and the altitude.

I spotted no Porsches on the side of the road though of course I spotted several on the road during the drive.

My Turbo with low zinc Mobil 1 0w-40 made it up and over the grade unaffected.

Now, what I did see were a number of pre-2005 BMWs with obvious overheating problems. I have read Mike Miller in Bimmer and he speaks of weaknesses in modern BMW cooling systems.

Based on what I observed that day I believe Mike Miller.

My point is problems due to some weakness -- like cooling system -- show up.

During that drive, or any any other time I have not seen and I think the majority of other owners who drive their cars around have not seen Porsches on the side of the road with sick engines due excessive wear from lack of high levels of zinc in the oil is because there is no such thing.

These engines are pretty good engines. I believe given reasonable servicing in line with the car's usage and reasonable treatment these engines, the vast majority of them anyway, will last long after this zinc business is a faint memory.

Thus the desire to run an oil that contains an additive that is intended to fix something that near as I can tell ain't broke, a desire to run an oil that is not an approved oil, and I have to point out on this approved oils list there are maybe 40 different brands of oils, and who knows how many oils in each brand to choose from, and well, well, it makes no sense to me why one would run a non-approved diesel oil in his gasoline powered Porsche.

But of course it comes down to it is your car and if you want to use your car's engine as an oil guinea pig -- for what end I have no idea -- that is your business.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:24 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

If OP has read the LN article as suggested he might think about using Motul oil which is grade 5 and Porsche approved; as Mac points out your warranty is important. Not sure what year op's car is. Mine is out. As regards Militec-1 I can give only an anecdote: I park on a grade and for the first 3.5 years of ownership would occasionally experience the ugly sound of a dry chain tensioner rattling while oil pressure built back up after some inactivity. I have not heard that sound for the last 2.5 years after using this (do not consider the others) additive. I would not question ne 1's arguement against adding to what is a very expensive oil. On the other hand you will not to my knowledge go blind reading their literature as pertains to automotive applications. Life is great a little outside the box
Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

op here, i was just inquiring about the diesel oils after reading the exhaustive threads in the 996tt section when i owned a 996tt that had, i thought, a loud clacking noise somewhere in the engine...it was my first 996, my first tt, and my first 996tt, and was concerned, i never did use the diesel oil, as it seemed kind of odd, anyway, was just wondering what new sets of eyes might think of the idea, and i see macster here, after reading his contributions there as well, and i find that most have the same bent here as there, though there were a few guys that thought highly of the diesel for quieting the noise in the tt , i'm happy on the fence and will probably stay here and just watch and keep reading, thanks for the replies, kk
Old 03-17-2012, 02:50 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkswow12
op here, i was just inquiring about the diesel oils after reading the exhaustive threads in the 996tt section when i owned a 996tt that had, i thought, a loud clacking noise somewhere in the engine...it was my first 996, my first tt, and my first 996tt, and was concerned, i never did use the diesel oil, as it seemed kind of odd, anyway, was just wondering what new sets of eyes might think of the idea, and i see macster here, after reading his contributions there as well, and i find that most have the same bent here as there, though there were a few guys that thought highly of the diesel for quieting the noise in the tt , i'm happy on the fence and will probably stay here and just watch and keep reading, thanks for the replies, kk
From what I remember after obsessing about "what oil" a few years ago the Mobil 1 with diesel designation was changed to a formulation w lower zn, etc, a while back. Several years back guys were using that oil for the additives, not any more.

Fwiw the majority of wear comes upon cold start and is compounded in cars that are not used daily because of oil drain down. This is why I have searched for a lubricant that protects better on cold starts. Since I have yet to tear down my engine to measure wear, I have only the dry start noise to suggest that you can find improvement outside of general recommendations. You will be fine.

Quick Reply: was just rereading old posts about oil