Sponsored by:

997 C4S - Interior Lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
clarkgp
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 C4S - Interior Lights stay on

I recently removed the front bumper to clean out all the Autumn leaves and road debris from the radiators, and as precaution I disconnected the battery.

I now find that the interior lights by the mirror and the footwell lights stay on in the central 'auto dimming' position. Fortunately they extinguish when I lock the car after the normal delay.

The puddle lights on the doors are fine and the 'lid open' sensor works also - as I've been reading other posts about similar problems originating in luggage compartment light switches - on older models maybe? I've looked in the front of the 997 and can see no obvious microswitch for the luggage compartment.

All advice gratefully received

Garry
Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkgp
I recently removed the front bumper to clean out all the Autumn leaves and road debris from the radiators, and as precaution I disconnected the battery.

I now find that the interior lights by the mirror and the footwell lights stay on in the central 'auto dimming' position. Fortunately they extinguish when I lock the car after the normal delay.

The puddle lights on the doors are fine and the 'lid open' sensor works also - as I've been reading other posts about similar problems originating in luggage compartment light switches - on older models maybe? I've looked in the front of the 997 and can see no obvious microswitch for the luggage compartment.

All advice gratefully received

Garry
With the battery disconnect the "personal" settings may have changed. If you have Sport Chrono you can use your PCM to set these yourself. From the PCM main menu select settings and you should see options for DRL, door locks, and other lighting. Check that.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM
clarkgp
3rd Gear

Unfortunately I don't have sport chrono, so no personal settings available - I tried the 'factory reset' option, but didn't change anything. I also used the spare key, and whilst the car recognised key 2 it did not change anything.
So I'm still stuck - the car is a UK spec by the way.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It is possible that the special codes unique to that VIN possibly zeroed out. PCNA will have to query Atlanta to get the codes that are assigned to that car and re-insert them so that the car does what it was paid to do.

Several years ago when I had my PCM swapped out several codes did not carry over (as they are supposed to), and they had to send to Atlanta to get the right codes for my car. Things like Sport Chrono, Extended Nav, etc., made the car unique for me and needed their codes activated again). Once they plugged it into the diagnostic machine and reentered the codes all was well. Perhaps it's something like that.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 AM
clarkgp
3rd Gear

So - the changes described were undertaken with the car stationary. When I took it out for a drive, the problem has disappeared !! Not sure I'm 100% content with how it got fixed - I thought German engineering was supposed to be logical? Here's hoping that it continues, and not just a Monday - Friday fix :-)).
Thanks for your comments - this is a good forum.

Garry
Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

German engineering is logical, and then there is Porsche engineering. Don't confuse the two.

When it comes to power issues (like functions dropping out) it is best to reboot, (start the car again) and go drive it about ten miles to see if it self-clears.

Whenever you disconnect a battery certain things drop out, only to be reestablished once the car reinitializes. It may take about ten miles or ten minutes to get all of that stuff communicating again.

Quick Reply: 997 C4S - Interior Lights stay on