Sponsored by:

Painting Carrera Classics

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:51 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
I'd definitely put the classics back on there. Calling a spade a spade, the victors or whatever are substandard wheels especially for a 911 and they look really awkward at stock height given the added visual size of non-lipped 20" wheels which look bigger than lipped 20" wheels. The 19s will look more proportional with your stock suspension setup. Plus, I imagine the victors are markedly heavier than the stock 19s?

Wet painting them will give you a broader range of color options and will make gloss black truly gloss black whereas powder coating has its limitations. Powder coating is more durable, but if the shop who does the wet painting does them the right way, it'll last just as long. And the factory wheels are simple, one-piece cast so no sweat.

And as for your "aerokit", based on your pic, all we can see is that you added the front lip and painted it. Either add the rear wing or remove the front lip as they're designed to work together, not one or the other. Yes, the rear wing is very expensive.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to provide input.
since you're calling a spade a spade, at least take the high road and state the above as being your humble opinion only???
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Menmojo
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the aerokit.
You need both parts together or the car can become unstable at higher speeds.
Ever see these wheels?
http://www.roderickwheels.com/rw5-wheels.html

They were just in excellence mag and look pretty interesting....
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
since you're calling a spade a spade, at least take the high road and state the above as being your humble opinion only???
I apologize if I ruffled any feathers, but you yourself called your 20" OZ wheels "cartoonish". The look is further exacerbated by the stock height + rubber band sidewall.

Here's the deal for others that care to take a listen:

Non-lipped wheels will always look visually bigger than lipped wheels same diameter.

This has mostly to do with the fact that the center of the lipped wheel is smaller (err shorter by approx an inch) than the height of the non-lipped wheel which is, in effect, all center.

Ynot's fine example with 20" lipped wheels that's also lowered:

Looks pretty damn good, doesn't it?

Porsche, however, designed the 997 chassis to work with 19" wheels. This is why you won't see any of the GT3/2 forum guys running 20s since a lot of them are really in it for lap times. For the Turbo/Carrera guys, track conquests are not a priority so they go for the visual feast that come with dubs.

Pick your poison, but outfitting your 997 with 20" non-lipped, flat faced wheels converts to 21" lipped wheels. You're not only making a functional sacrifice, but not running with the best form.

As grown men, I'm hoping we can all assume that none of us take any of this personally as we're talking about material things. I'm just doling out good advice for the OP before he shells out some hard earned cash. Period. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
I wonder if you can paint that, not so distinct, lip on the carerra classics. It needs to be a deviating color (silver, red etc) to provide some contrast and differentiation from the tire itself. Otherwise an all black setup looks like ugly steel wheels to me.
Agreed, 100%

Originally Posted by JW911
Yes those wheels do look a bit cartoonish. I would think your car would look great with black carrera classics. Consider keeping the outer rim silver and the centers black. I am a bit partial to that look.
Porsche sells a 'pin stripe' for a 19" wheel. It's a great look.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/me...duct_Code=DWRS
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Thanks, all, for your thoughts.

I'm very happy with the look of my car, sans wing. Even my authorized dealership specifically told me not to do the wing because it looks better as it is, and I agree. To each their own. And the idea that I should add the wing because they're designed to work together is, with all respect, not very persuasive. My iPhone is designed to work with its terrible little white ear buds; that doesn't mean I'm not going to use a nice pair of headphones with it. Besides, it's just silly to imagine that the aerokit front end in any way changes the driving dynamics of the car. It's purely aesthetic. I'd say believing that the aerokit meaingfully changes performance is akin to believing those ads for aftermarket intakes which claim to add 20HP/torque. Sure, they do.

As regards the wheels, I do sincerely appreciate all the comments. Again, I'm going to go with my own personal taste. YMMV. I'm not crazy about keeping the lip silver. I'll either paint the Classics black or gunmetal, or I'll order some OZs. Will post pics with whatever I do once it is done.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
My son has had black plasti-dip applied to his wheels now for 2 months and it's holding up very well so far. Again this sounds like a primitive solution for a Carrera especially when we're all accustomed to dropping a few hundreds dollars to thousands anytime we make a slight mod to our cars... but if my son's wheels hold up after 6 months I have to give credit where it's due and consider this a viable solution just for it's temporary merits alone. And if I like the look of black after 6 months on my Carrera Classics then it may warrant a permanent powder coating afterwards.
So how have they held up?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:37 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, however, he decided last month to revert back to the original color - silver/metal... He's kinda glad he did not go all in with the p-coated black wheels. BTW, I never did plasti-dip my c-classics and now that I have a new chromed FVD exhaust I'm planning to keep the classics in their original form.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

I saw a few footages on youtube regarding plasti-dip spray and thety look pretty interesting. I might give them a try since I am a liitle unsure if I am goning to like black wheels on my car a year from now. They are supposed to be completely reversible.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

FYI, my son hit the wheels with a power washer to get the plasti-dip off then pealed off all the pieces left over. I'll still catch a piece here and there that he missed but I'm picky that way. I could see spending 30mins/wheel to get all wheels back to original form if I ever took this approach but I would definitely consider this before going with a permanent solution like powder coating if I had any doubts. BTW, my son still has plasti-dip on his front grill(formerly silver). Matches his black truck and gives it a more agressive look... it's still holding up thru the Texas heat/weather.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

For what it's worth... any and every woman I've ever known would leave me if I drove a car with a wing on it. They'd all agree it screams I have below average size where it can matter most.... Okay, so maybe they wouldn't leave me, perhaps only insist that I drive it after midnight, at least 2 zip codes away from ours.

But a GT3 on the other hand....... I wonder how they'd feel about a stock wing? Any input from members on what wives or girlfriends would think? Just curious...
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Poshaman
Instructor

My wife or my PREVIOUS girl friends wouldn't know the difference between a GT3 and a base Carrera. A wing would be a wing to them whether it's on GT3 or on a base model.

Last edited by Poshaman; 09-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:58 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I had no problems with my 1st gen M3. While no GT3, it's anything but subtle. Then again, I was younger then. I might get some now, but I don't think anyone would run away. If they did, well it was a bad match.
OTOH, I'm not sure most people's opinion differs WRT a 911 with or without wing. Likely considered a penile extension device either way.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

No way. a 911 is the best way to go for a classy high performance sports car. A Ferarri on the other hand.... Yep. Perhaps broadcasting a need for a penile extension. Tools buy Italian sportscars, that's for sure. I'm sure some guys do who aren't tool, too, don't get me wrong.

Bear in mind this is coming from a guy who has completely modified his exhaust and DOES occasionally raise the spoiler for low speed drives through town. Admittedly slightly toolish...
Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey now, I used to have an Italian sports car! Admittedly not a Ferrari, but cool nonetheless - Alfa GTV6.

I'm guessing what you just said is how Ferrari drivers feel about Lambo drivers
Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plasti-dipped my wheels 4 months ago, and they have held up perfectly. Have done a couple autocrosses, but no DEs, so I can't speak to their trackability. But for street use, they will definitely hold up. It's a good way to decide whether or not you like the look.

Quick Reply: Painting Carrera Classics