997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drives side seat belt twisted

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 AM
viii_ball

Default Drives side seat belt twisted

I've done a search but could not find an answer to my issue.

I have recently purchased a 2008 Cab and the drivers side seat belt is twisted. Not only does it make it uncomfortable to wear but it does not retract properly so there are times we've closed the door on the dangling seat belt.

I've looked to try and remove the rear side panel but can not figure out how to do so. The only screws or bolts I can find hold that panel in are the posts that hold up the rear seat.

Any instructions anywhere on how to access the seat belt retraction mechanism?

Last edited by viii_ball; 03-05-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Hard to know exactly what situation you have when you say it is twisted. But when I bought my car, my belt was twisted and I simply unbolted the anchor bolt down near the floor and twisted the belt 180 degrees and bolted it back in. Problem solved. You are trying to fix the problem from within the retractor, but perhaps you can fix it from the other end which is the anchor point.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM
viii_ball

Certainly a possible fix but since the belt is not retracting properly I am concerned there is another twist in the mechanism that needs to get untwisted for things to operate properly. That's why I am looking to get inside the panel.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:46 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by viii_ball
Certainly a possible fix but since the belt is not retracting properly I am concerned there is another twist in the mechanism that needs to get untwisted for things to operate properly. That's why I am looking to get inside the panel.
If you extend it fully wouldn't that tell you if there were another twist.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

These things just need to be worked out slowly and methodically. Pull it slowly out all the way. At some time in the past someone got it twisted as it was recoiling it and put a twist on it. Play it out and then untwist it and reorient it. It you simply unbolt it from below you will be off 180º from now on.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

you can usually pull it all the way out and straighten the twist and jamb it back down thru the slot. or take the quarter panel off and straighten it then put it all back togather

Quick Reply: Drives side seat belt twisted