Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Neotorque
Look, it's silly to buy a mass produced car now with an eye towards how options will affect its resale value X years and Y miles from now. It's certainly silly to buy a 997 for that reason. If you're looking for a 911 that will protect its resale value, get a more collectible model, like a 993. If you don't want the X51 option, and you're reaching over your budget, don't do it. Put the 3K (or whatever the savings is on your final purchase) in a CD and it will hold its value a lot better than it will in a car.

Remember, you're not paying 3K for the X51. You're paying a set dollar amount for a car. If you're getting a $17K option for $3K above your budget, unless this particular seller is an idiot, you're getting $14K less car everywhere else than you could otherwise get on your budget. And those other things you're giving up are also likely to affect resale.

This is a long way of saying, buy the car you want, don't get caught up in thinking about this like an investment, it's a car you plan to drive (which is what you should do with it). Good luck!
Good points mentioned above. It's just another car purchase. You'll win on this X-51 equipped 997 if the PPI comes clean; what if the car was thrashed and had poor maintenance? I wouldnt go anywhere near it, X-51 or not? If the car is frickin mint and all documentation and service records can be confirmed, then you may have a better shot at spending the extra $3K.

good luck with your future Pcar purchase.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I suspect you will get lower mileage, but the performance additives will compensate you there! It's a no brainer. Everyone back in 2006-2008 would have traded their little sisters for X51 for $3k.
Again, you are NOT buying X51 for $3K. You are buying a car that happens to have X51, along with other options, history, etc., for $3K over your budget. X51 represents $XX in the price of that car, which is presumably its fair market value. To the extent $XX > $3K, you are getting shortchanged elsewhere on the car relative to other cars in your budget that do not have X51. You need to decide what options you care about (X51 does not seem to be one, but that's your call) and whether you'd rather have that money invested in an option/asset you don't need or in one where it will have value to you (either in a car with a better history, better other options, or in a bank account).
Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 AM
pv355
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Remember, you're not paying 3K for the X51. You're paying a set dollar amount for a car. If you're getting a $17K option for $3K above your budget, unless this particular seller is an idiot, you're getting $14K less car everywhere else than you could otherwise get on your budget. And those other things you're giving up are also likely to affect resale.
+1
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Absolutely, I'd go for it. It's a great option.

I disagree with the poster who said the seller is pricing the rest of the car $14k below a comp. no "mod" especially one on a 5-6 year old car is going to retain 100% of its value. The X51 package may have been 17k new, but buyers will pay a small to moderate bump in price for it 5-6 years on. For me, I'd pay $5k in price difference for it. Others may pay $0, as they don't care if it's there or not. I happen to like the idea of 381 HP in a factory upgrade.

If it won't hurt you financially and the PPI checks out, do it.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

So after reading all the above replies (thanks a bunch...) here's how I'm looking at it:

Any car I buy has to be mechanically sound (i.e. pass the PPI) and have an option package with which I'm happy. For this I'm willing to pay as much as X thousand dollars.

If that SAME car also had the X51 package, should I be willing to pay X+3 thousand dollars?

From the replies, I gather that the consensus is yes, it's worth it - but only with all other things being equal.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^Yes, and the air box is a thing of beauty. Carbon fiber if I remember correctly.
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
So after reading all the above replies (thanks a bunch...) here's how I'm looking at it:

Any car I buy has to be mechanically sound (i.e. pass the PPI) and have an option package with which I'm happy. For this I'm willing to pay as much as X thousand dollars.

If that SAME car also had the X51 package, should I be willing to pay X+3 thousand dollars?

From the replies, I gather that the consensus is yes, it's worth it - but only with all other things being equal.
From your initial question, I surmised that you didn't care about having X51, and your only concern was how it would affect the resale value of the car. If that's not the case, then the answer is entirely subjective.

If it is correct, then I'd say it's unlikely you'll find an otherwise equal car for only $3K less, but if that's really where the market is, then you know that X51 will be worth something considerably less than $3K in another few years (if it's already depreciated from $17K to $3K).
Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 AM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not see how much is the asking price of the car, but it will probably be far more than a honda civic. That said whats the difference between 70k or 73k, well not very much. I also agree that if you are buying the car worried about the resale value you should reevaluate where you put your money. If you can afford a car like this 3k should not be a concern. I wish my 997s had this option and i would have paid more for it. BUY IT!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, you should get it... In fact, I'll pay you $4K for the x51 parts including shipping...
Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

From your initial question, I surmised that you didn't care about having X51, and your only concern was how it would affect the resale value of the car. If that's not the case, then the answer is entirely subjective.

If it is correct, then I'd say it's unlikely you'll find an otherwise equal car for only $3K less, but if that's really where the market is, then you know that X51 will be worth something considerably less than $3K in another few years (if it's already depreciated from $17K to $3K).
A fair point. I don't, in fact, care about having the X51 upgrades, but I think it would be cool to have if it only costs $3K and was "worth it," whatever that means.

I AM interested in whether or not it will help my resale value if, for some reason, I have to sell in 3-5 years. Would I be getting most of that $3K back, or is it gone gone gone.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toplabels
I could not see how much is the asking price of the car, but it will probably be far more than a honda civic. That said whats the difference between 70k or 73k, well not very much. I also agree that if you are buying the car worried about the resale value you should reevaluate where you put your money. If you can afford a car like this 3k should not be a concern. I wish my 997s had this option and i would have paid more for it. BUY IT!!!!
The $3K, in itself, is not much compared to the whole price of the car. But I've already raised my top number 7 or 8 grand to get to this point. Another 3 would be 10K more than I initially anticipated. Where does it end, I ask you!?

But I get the point. I think that if the rest of the car is exactly what I want (both mechanically and aesthetically), I'll add the $3K and put the 381hp monster in my garage!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
A fair point. I don't, in fact, care about having the X51 upgrades, but I think it would be cool to have if it only costs $3K and was "worth it," whatever that means.

I AM interested in whether or not it will help my resale value if, for some reason, I have to sell in 3-5 years. Would I be getting most of that $3K back, or is it gone gone gone.
I think your next answer suggests you want the X51 more than you're admitting, so go for it!

But, no, you can do the math here. If it's already depreciated from $17K to $3K, then it's obviously not going to hold all of that $3K in another few years. One thing to bear in mind is that the stock 997.2 S already has more HP than the 997.1 with X51, and the 991s will be coming off their initial leases by the time you're through with this car, at a minimum. So the X51 might mean your car sells before a similar 997.1 without X51, but it's not going to add any meaningful value in a marketplace flooded with 997.2s and 991s.

But, who cares? If it's 3K, and you'll enjoy, why are you worrying about what it might be worth 3-5 years from now, or more?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

I think your next answer suggests you want the X51 more than you're admitting, so go for it!
Meh - I just want to make sure I get the right car at a good price. 355/295 is PLENTY of grunt. 381/307 would be nice, but in my head I don't NEED it.

But, no, you can do the math here. If it's already depreciated from $17K to $3K, then it's obviously not going to hold all of that $3K in another few years. One thing to bear in mind is that the stock 997.2 S already has more HP than the 997.1 with X51, and the 991s will be coming off their initial leases by the time you're through with this car, at a minimum. So the X51 might mean your car sells before a similar 997.1 without X51, but it's not going to add any meaningful value in a marketplace flooded with 997.2s and 991s.
This is a great point and may have just set my mind. With aging 997.2s, an X51 997.1 will hold no greater value. If equally priced (or close) most people would go with the 997.2. "Get the newest Porsche you can afford." That extra $3K would be better off spent at a DE or two, learning to drive my car faster. [Thanks PasPar2].
Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

Do you need it? You might be better served by putting that 3K into some DE, Autocross or PSDS classes.

Quick Reply: X51 for $3K over your limit?