Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear oil recommendation for 08' Carrera S manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The plug to refill the transaxle is located on the passenger side of the car. Just remove the 4 torx head screws on the rearmost underbody panel and you can see the drain plug and forward and above an identical refill plug.

Phil
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
gabe2006
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to visualize what Lurchphil said. #1 is the filler plug, #2 is the drain plug. Both need to be torqued to 30 ft-lb.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2013, 02:58 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Dealers may not always use Porsche genuine products. I called the service manager where I bought my 2008 997S and asked him what they used when I had them change it before delivery. He didn't know. After changing it to genuine Porsche fluid as strongly recommended by Gbox for the Aisin transaxles, shifting improved dramatically. By the way, the torque for the 24mm drain plugs is 22 ft/lbs I believe. Just don't over tighten! Sunset Porsche has the best prices for genuine Porsche stuff.
About 3 liters is close enough. It won't hurt to be within a 1/4 pint either way. Not like engine seals.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:11 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was experiencing intermittent issues shifting into first gear, especially when cold. I just had the dealer change the gearbox oil, bleed the clutch fluid, and adjust the clutch cable. I would say the general shifting is definitely smoother, but the occasional first gear issue remains, albeit perhaps a bit better. The oil the dealer used was Mobilube, and the car is a 2006 C2 with 36K mi.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Impressions of Liqui Moly 75W-90

Originally Posted by Luxter
Folks,
I actually have Liqui Moly GL-5 in my gear box now. Just got it in. Will post my experience, but it's going to be a while.
New coolant pump, 160*F T-stat and 3rd radiator and fresh coolant need to be installed first.
In addition, shifter cables will be re-adjusted as well.
So, give me a couple of weeks in my garage and hope for good weather as well.

I am really curious about Motul Gear 300 75W-90. Has anybody tried that lubricant at all. Please post your experience.

Cheers,
=L=
Luxter -- Can you let us know your impressions of the Liqui Moly 75W-90 (I assume you used GL-5)?? I hear it is good stuff, but I am interested to hear from someone who actually used it. Pelican Parts has it for under $18/Liter, so it is good value if it delivers.

BTW, a Porsche tech told me that he wouldn't recommend using synthetic gear oil in the manual transmission and front differential (I have a '06 C4S) since that is not what came in it from the factory. Anyone ever hear that before? Liqui Moly happens to be fully synthetic.

Sean
Old 05-19-2018, 08:31 AM
Carbine
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, by saying Clutch oil, do you mean Transmission oil?

If so, it's a mystery what's best oil. I like to change mine too, but it looks like some aftermarket oil doesn't work very well on our cars, and yet, OEM fluid doesn't work very well on track. So, if you do NOT track, I definitely recommend to just get the OEM and have someone change it.

If you track, then do some more search and if you found a good oil, let me know too!
Try Swepco 201

Quick Reply: Gear oil recommendation for 08' Carrera S manual tranny