Sponsored by:

Gear oil recommendation for 08' Carrera S manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
Yes, we spoke before on this very subject.
M1 Delvac is out. Shifts were too notchy in cold. Good for track for sure and I know you want a good track day lube.
Liqui Moly is in, but not driven on it yet, so no comments so far.
Ultimately I will try to use Shell. Either from Europe or locally.
Aston Martin uses Shell as well. They import it from GB directly and for less (quite a bit less in fact) than P ($28/L vs $48/L).
Just refuse to pay $48 / L from dealers.
One issue with Shell is that the Transaxle was fully synthetic, Spirax is HC technology. Probably not a big deal, but Liqui Moly is fully synthetic. Give it a shot on the track, see how it performs.

Why adjusting shifter cables? To make sure that the cable adjustment is not part of the problem.
Pelican sells part #: 000.721.961.91 for 997 shifters and
part #: 000.721.961.90 for 996 shifters. Both parts are under $5 each.
Procedure? Easy, remove center console, shift to neutral (tranny must be in neutral), disengage both cables, lock the shifter with the bridge from Pelican, snap cables in place, re-assemble all.
Basically, you make sure that tranny in neutral matches ****er in neutral by adjusting cable lengths. It all sounds more complicated than it really is.
Any questions, fire away...
Cheers,
=L=
Thanks, so basically you went with Liqui Moly due to costs vs. OEM? or you think it's a superior oil?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cost?

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thanks, so basically you went with Liqui Moly due to costs vs. OEM? or you think it's a superior oil?
Alex:
Liqui Moly was still $25/L, so cost is comparable to Shell from Aston Martin at $28/L.
Liqui Moly is fully synthetic. Germans must not market HC technology as fully Synthetic. Both engine and gear lubes. That rule is as strict as brewing beer!
I just wanted to try an alternative.

Spokane5150:
Perfectly normal. Just be gentle when cold and replace gear lube every so often.
Proper shifting is fundamental to logevity of your tranny.

Sorry for hijacking this Thread!

Cheers,
L
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM
dhsieh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfectly normal. Just be gentle when cold and replace gear lube every so often. Proper shifting is fundamental to logevity of your tranny
So, let's talk about gear oil change interval again. Porsche recommends 90k miles and quite a few folks responding to this thread including myself think it's too long. If one does not track, how long is every so often?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Alex:
Liqui Moly was still $25/L, so cost is comparable to Shell from Aston Martin at $28/L.
Liqui Moly is fully synthetic. Germans must not market HC technology as fully Synthetic. Both engine and gear lubes. That rule is as strict as brewing beer!
I just wanted to try an alternative.

Spokane5150:
Perfectly normal. Just be gentle when cold and replace gear lube every so often.
Proper shifting is fundamental to logevity of your tranny.

Sorry for hijacking this Thread!

Cheers,
L
Ok, thanks.

Which of these two did you get?

(GL 5) SAE 75 W-90
or
(GL 4+) SAE 75 W-90
Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

RedLine 75W-90 NS isn’t that far off from Shell, but its viscosity index is at 176, nowhere near Shell lube and viscosity at 40*C = 95, well above Shell.
First thanks for your insightful post!

Interesting... At 40°C the higher viscosity of the Redline 95 vs Shell's 81 sounds like a good thing for notchy shifts when cold. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Also the Redline 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil specs say: "Contains extreme pressure additives like our 75W90 GL-5 oil, but lacks friction modifiers to balance slipperiness" This also sounds good for misbehaving synchros, and has the pressure additives for the hypoid differential.

Lastly at 100°C the viscosities are within 5% of each other which also sounds good.

Now the Shell Viscosity Index ISO of 194 vs Redline's 176 are off, but isn't that just the slope of the viscosity vs temp. So I'd imagine that is ok too since the temperature is bounded by the cold and hot operating conditions.

Matty
Old 02-24-2012, 08:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I wonder who makes OEM fluid? and shouldn't it be the same as Shell? As it looks like that's the only Porsche approved oil.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mattyf
First thanks for your insightful post!

Interesting... At 40°C the higher viscosity of the Redline 95 vs Shell's 81 sounds like a good thing for notchy shifts when cold. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Also the Redline 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil specs say: "Contains extreme pressure additives like our 75W90 GL-5 oil, but lacks friction modifiers to balance slipperiness" This also sounds good for misbehaving synchros, and has the pressure additives for the hypoid differential.

Lastly at 100°C the viscosities are within 5% of each other which also sounds good.

Now the Shell Viscosity Index ISO of 194 vs Redline's 176 are off, but isn't that just the slope of the viscosity vs temp. So I'd imagine that is ok too since the temperature is bounded by the cold and hot operating conditions.

Matty
You're wrong, Redline while having lower viscosity, is thicker at all tempretures. I think street driving temps would be in 40 degree, and Redline is much thicker and hence must be harder to shift when cold... while it has higher Vis at 100 degrees, which may or may not be better for tracking.

Basically it looks like that Shell's formula is in such a way that starts with higher viscose but drops quicker, probably to ensure smooth operations?!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

I wonder who makes OEM fluid? and shouldn't it be the same as Shell? As it looks like that's the only Porsche approved oil.
For manual transmission, front axle final drive (AWD models) and rear axle final drive, my info is Mobil makes the Mobilube (PTX) 75w-90 transmission fluid and Shell makes the Shell (Transaxle) 75w-90 transmission fluid.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
For manual transmission, front axle final drive (AWD models) and rear axle final drive, my info is Mobil makes the Mobilube (PTX) 75w-90 transmission fluid and Shell makes the Shell (Transaxle) 75w-90 transmission fluid.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks, so two different oils? or either is used?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Table

All lubricants are sorted by Viscosity Index from highest to lowest.
Lubricants #: 2 & 3 in grey are Porsche approved.
All data except Viscosity at 0*C came from lubricant respective published data sheets.

All viscosities at 0*C were calculated using Mr. Widman’s chart and should be considered as approximate as most lubricants do not behave as Newtonian fluids.
Many thanks to Richard Widman.
http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Graph.html

Mobilube PTX had viscosity at 0*C published by Mobil at 590 cSt and marked as Actual in the table above.

Below is the note from Mobilube PTX Data Sheet:

“The combination of synthetic base fluid technology and special high performance additives have been carefully formulated to meet the low temperature fluidity requirements of Porsche ( Kinematic Viscosity at 0ºC of < 600 cSt)”
Enjoy,
=L=
Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks, so two different oils? or either is used?
My info is the fluids listed are interchangeable.

However, in confirming the above, I noticed the document from which I obtained the fluid info is for the 996 Turbo.

I had thought it was for all models, but my mistake. (My approved engine oils list covers all models from the mid-80's on.)

I have nothing on the 997 and its approved transmission/diff fluids list. (Even though I have info on the Turbo the Boxster transmission/diff fluids I just let the dealer service department do the fluid services. (I hate the smell of tranny fluid even if I had a place to work on my cars.)

Anyhow, I believe the same fluids are used, but you should not rely upon what I believe in this case but find out for yourself.

Therefore, my best advice is to if you are on good terms with your local Porsche dealer service department swing by and get from the parts department, based on your car's VIN, the list of approved tranny/diff fluids, or if the service manager oks it, speak with the senior tech what fluid to use.

Generally, when I show up and say I have a test question the SM just nods his head toward the parts department/service entrance from the service manager's area.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Called GBox and asked which fluid was best for my 2008 997S 6speed transmission. Since it was manufactured by Aisin, they strongly recommended using only the factory fluid. After looking everywhere for the best price, it turned out that Sunset Porsche was the winner. Here in Sacramento, it was $50 plus tax per liter. Sunset is charging $27.86 plus shipping. At that price, it's more than other options but I am playing it safe!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 PM
lurchphil
Racer

I changed the transaxle fluid last week in my 08 911S. After checking numerous posts and making a number of calls, I finally called GBox and was told that the Porsche factory fluid was best for the Aisin 6 speed. I found that Sunset Porsche in Oregon had the best price at $26 per liter. I used almost 3.5 liters including spillage... By the way, the drain plugs require a 24mm socket. The Result? Much improved shifting especially in 1st and 2nd!! They had been very balky before warm up. I had the dealer change it before I bought the car last May but I don't believe they used the Porsche fluid because the improvement was so dramatic. GBox recommended changing every two years for a daily driver. Not a fun job but well worth the effort.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lurchphil
I changed the transaxle fluid last week in my 08 911S. After checking numerous posts and making a number of calls, I finally called GBox and was told that the Porsche factory fluid was best for the Aisin 6 speed. I found that Sunset Porsche in Oregon had the best price at $26 per liter. I used almost 3.5 liters including spillage... By the way, the drain plugs require a 24mm socket. The Result? Much improved shifting especially in 1st and 2nd!! They had been very balky before warm up. I had the dealer change it before I bought the car last May but I don't believe they used the Porsche fluid because the improvement was so dramatic. GBox recommended changing every two years for a daily driver. Not a fun job but well worth the effort.
Thanks for the info Lurchphil, I have been debating this very service on my 08 C2S. May make the call to Sunset for 4 liters.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Sunset provides great service. By the way, the plugs have no magnets. However, GBox said there are magnets inside the transaxle. The regular engine oil drain gaskets are the same as the transmission oil gaskets.

Phil

Quick Reply: Gear oil recommendation for 08' Carrera S manual tranny