Sponsored by:

trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts
Default trickle charger

Is it safe to drive w/ it attached to the battery or it must be taken off? I hate to take it off w/ those tedious battery bolts!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

I was told it was fine driving with it (mine is CTEK) because the connectors were protected and could not possibly complete the circuit by accident. But I am one **** SOB, so I ditched the battery connectors and bought the cigarette lighter adapter and have never looked back. I drive my car rarely so I am really loving the CTEK!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 AM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Is it safe to drive w/ it attached to the battery or it must be taken off? I hate to take it off w/ those tedious battery bolts!
I tried it once but I didn't get very far because I ran out of extension cords.

Put the loops on your battery terminals and the plug end is protected. I've used this set up on my Land Rover for 5+ years. Because my charger came with one loop connector I use the cigar plug for the Porsche.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

You don't say which charger you have, but the CTEK connectors like the one on my Carrera below, in addition to having the protective cover for the plug, are fused and designed to be left in place. The one on my Cayenne is slightly different in that it also has an LED "state of charge" indicator built into the connector plug.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: trickle charger