Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire installer in San Francisco, any recs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 PM
rockrich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire installer in San Francisco, any recs?

Looking to buy a set of 18 inch wheels and snow tires from the Tire rack with TPMS semsors. Wondering if anyone knows a trustworthy shop in the city to do the installation.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 AM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not in the City, but I've heard nothing but great things about Custom Alignment in Mountain View. I've read of people who will buy tires at Tire Rack, and have them shipped there for install. They're supposed to use great care with your wheels, so they don't end up chipped or scratched.

I was going to use them for a set of Super Sports, but found myself having to replace an entire set of tires on the spur of the moment (due to puncture) so had Fletcher-Jones in Fremont do it.

But check out Custom Alignment - I know they're a bit of a drive, but by all accounts, they are one of "the" places to go in the Bay Area for any kind of alignment or tire installs.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:10 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All of Tire Rack's Recommended Installers are carefully screened to ensure they have the right equipment and experience to satisfactorily serve our customers. In fact, to become a Recommended Installer a company must:

1. Use proper mounting and balancing equipment including touchless or rim clamp, European-style tire changers and high-speed computer spin balancers.
2. Employ properly trained technicians capable of safely performing damage-free installations.
3. Be an automotive business that can offer additional services to customers (alignments, complete repairs, auto detailing, etc.)
4. Possess a positive attitude and the ability to treat Tire Rack's customers with the highest level of professional courtesy.

Only after these criteria are met is a company approved to become one of our Recommended Installers. If these shops don't live up to our criteria, we will get rid of them!

Please give me a call when ready, or use my link below to order, thanks!!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a good shop is worth a little drive. Try to give Tony Heyer (owner) of Heyer Performance (Mountain View) a call (heyerperformance.com, 650-962-0930).

Tony's shop is a full service shop for Porsche cars and not just tire installation, yet for my Porsche cars I would rather have someone familiar with them to work on even just for the tires. I think Tony's shop is also on the TireRack list, and he works with the folks at Custom Alignment, Mountina View, very closely (I used to take my cars to there for alingment before track days, these guys know Porsche well.)

I have been using Tony for over a decade, and he is someone I 'trust' to let him work on my all Porsche cars.

Regards,

(P.S. If you call Tony, feel free to mention me -- Alex with the 2010 Altas Grey 997.2 GT3.)
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
All of Tire Rack's Recommended Installers are carefully screened to ensure they have the right equipment and experience to satisfactorily serve our customers. In fact, to become a Recommended Installer a company must:

1. Use proper mounting and balancing equipment including touchless or rim clamp, European-style tire changers and high-speed computer spin balancers.
2. Employ properly trained technicians capable of safely performing damage-free installations.
3. Be an automotive business that can offer additional services to customers (alignments, complete repairs, auto detailing, etc.)
4. Possess a positive attitude and the ability to treat Tire Rack's customers with the highest level of professional courtesy.

Only after these criteria are met is a company approved to become one of our Recommended Installers. If these shops don't live up to our criteria, we will get rid of them!

Please give me a call when ready, or use my link below to order, thanks!!
Damon, I don't mean to be contradictory as I am a multiple repeat Tire Rack customer and have the highest regard for the way you folks do business. But the last time I had tires installed (on an Audi S4 just before I sold it) I made an appointment with one of your recommended installers and almost cancelled after I saw the shop. If it had been my Porsche I would definitely have done so. I was very nervous throughout the installation but fortunately everything turned out OK. Item 1 above was very marginal as was item 3. However, the owner was nice as hell and managed to overcome the other issues and for that reason I never reported back to Tire Rack and won't specify even now which establishment it was.

My only reason for posting is to suggest that even if an installer is listed as "recommended" it would still behoove one to check out the place through other sources and a personal visit if possible.

Again, I'm an extremely satisfied Tire Rack customer and would recommend you guys to anyone, but just wanted to add my $.02 on this.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the worst luck with getting screws in my tires. I usually find it on the way in or while I'm in the city and always head right to Big-O tires on 1023 Mission Street. Honest and fast. They never try to charge me more for tire pressure sensors like the one on Geary. I've had no reason to look anywhere else.

If I can't make it into the city I go to Malugani Tire in Mill Valley.

Quick Reply: Tire installer in San Francisco, any recs?